Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me on NASA TT

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 11:09 AM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Default School me on NASA TT

I have an ambition to eventually get into time trials. Can someone give me cliff notes on what it takes to start doing NASA TT? I'd like to know what driver requirements there are and what the car has to have to be eligible for TT1?

I am a gen Xer, but, apparently, I am just as lazy as the millennials and like to be spoon fed digested information, instead of doing the research myself.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:15 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Figure out which NASA region you would be running in. Contact the competition director and they will supply you with specific requirements. Not all regions handle things the same way.
Cliff notes
1) Be a competent / experienced enough driver to pass Comp school reqts.
2) Pass race physical exam with doctor signoff.
3) Car prep depends on what class you want to run and the size of your pocketbook.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:53 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

License application. In essence work your way up ladder then run several times in run group 4 and show that you are comfortable and safe and fast running side by side in corners.

https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com...al-License.pdf

http://www.nasa-tt.com/

Rule set links.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:20 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks a lot. That is very helpful.

As far as power level and dyno numbers go, are the cars dyno tested by NASA or do they go off of your own dyno results graph?
Old 03-21-2015, 10:29 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

You go to an approved dyno center (Dynojet) and you pay for a dyno test. They do 3 pulls and give the results which is handed in to the TT director.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:44 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Hi Volts Z06
You go to an approved dyno center (Dynojet) and you pay for a dyno test. They do 3 pulls and give the results which is handed in to the TT director.
Thanks. That makes sense. After doing some more reading, I found out that some events have a dyno present at the track...

I am not looking to be competitive for the first few year, as there is lots of driver development needed, as well as improvements that need to be done to the car. My motivation behind this venture is to get out there an have fun, while learning to be a better and faster driver. I most likely won't get involved in that until 2017. But thanks for all the advice and links. It will help steer my car development in the right direction.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:02 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Why all the getting the car cage drama and now ask what is required ... LOL
Old 03-22-2015, 09:13 AM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rbl
Why all the getting the car cage drama and now ask what is required ... LOL
I consider a cage a good safety investment for track days too, after all, it doesn't matter if you crash doing time trials or HPDE, the results will be the same. And... the cage that is being put in my C5Z is designed to a NASA spec, so I am not worried about it - I did read the roll cage section of the rule book.

Was hoping that the people on here who are in the know when it comes to NASA TT can help me understand the whole process, that all.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:12 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

It's glorified HPDE, I don't understand the first couple responses, but then again I don't have a TT license. I'm not aware of anyone in my region who went TT and did comp school. In comp school, a cage is a requirement as is the Stig suit and cage/suit is not required for TT. Locally, they just stick you in HPDE4 which runs with TT and give you a check ride and bam, you're in TT if you don't hit anything.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:53 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
It's glorified HPDE, I don't understand the first couple responses, but then again I don't have a TT license. I'm not aware of anyone in my region who went TT and did comp school. In comp school, a cage is a requirement as is the Stig suit and cage/suit is not required for TT. Locally, they just stick you in HPDE4 which runs with TT and give you a check ride and bam, you're in TT if you don't hit anything.
Time trials are a competition and very different from HPDE. Typically you get one or two laps to turn your fastest lap per session which requires focus and precision right out of the gate. No time for "warming up" or getting the feel of the car or track. You have to go out with some pressure and still perform your best. Time trials are a great mental challenge and personal test. As a race against the clock, there is no one to blame for your performance except yourself. Time trials are also very helpful in preparing racers for qualifying sessions which are very important. Being able to consistently qualify on the front row is a huge advantage and time trialing will help immensely in this regard.

I strongly encourage everyone in NASA who wants to compete to do at least one year of time trials. I transitioned from hpde to time trials before I started racing and that was when I made my greatest improvements as a driver. It took me from "hpde mode" to "race mode" with a completely different level of focus and goals. I remember being in awe of the time trial guys at the time who could go out the first session and in 1 or 2 laps turn lap times within tenths of their PB's while it took me most of the day to "get up to speed". Racecraft came later with w2w racing, but if you want to race at the front of the pack instead of the middle or back of the pack, then you better be able to turn fast time trial laps.

I could not have done what I did in the following 2 videos without my experience in time trials. These are my qualifying sessions at the 2014 SCCA Runoffs and 2014 Nasa nationals. You line up, go out on track and get one or maybe two (if you're lucky) laps to turn your fastest ***** out lap. That's what time trialing is all about and I love it!

Old 03-22-2015, 09:59 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

^yep I think drivers who have came up though NASA system HPDE 1 and put the seat time in till they're moved up to 2,3 ,4 and then given a TT permit are better drivers. With open passing it's pretty much the same as w2w as far as skill and awareness that's needed.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:45 AM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

Bill,

How packed are the NASA TT grids. Also I assume my car would be TT1?
Old 03-23-2015, 12:51 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
Time trials are a competition and very different from HPDE. Typically you get one or two laps to turn your fastest lap per session which requires focus and precision right out of the gate. [/url]
Does NASA run more than one group in TT?

We (Reno SCCA) have such small numbers in TT that we run everyone together. My guys are lucky if they get one lap without getting behind a slower car.

BTW, I drove over the hill last night after a 2 day TT at the T-Hill 2 mile.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Bill32; 03-23-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:16 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert R1
Bill,

How packed are the NASA TT grids. Also I assume my car would be TT1?
Depends on the event. Norcal tends to be more popular with TT than Socal and a bit faster too. There are probably around 40 cars or so I guess. Yes you would be TT1 with a C6Z. The other nice thing about nasa TT is you have the same contingency benefits as racing. So you can win tires.

Originally Posted by Bill32
Does NASA run more than one group in TT?

We (Reno SCCA) have such small numbers in TT that we run everyone together. My guys are lucky if they get one lap without getting behind a slower car.

BTW, I drove over the hill last night after a 2 day TT at the T-Hill 2 mile.
Nasa does not split up their TT group. However, the lead car serves as a pace car on the outlap and bunches the group up for 3/4 of the track. This is the key to getting 2 clean laps for the fast cars.

How did you like the 2 mile? I bet it's pretty busy. I've only done it combined as a 5 mile. Nice cars too! What is that orange car?
Old 03-23-2015, 09:33 PM
Sebring27
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time trials are a competition and very different from HPDE. Typically you get one or two laps to turn your fastest lap per session which requires focus and precision right out of the gate. No time for "warming up" or getting the feel of the car or track. You have to go out with some pressure and still perform your best. Time trials are a great mental challenge and personal test. As a race against the clock, there is no one to blame for your performance except yourself. Time trials are also very helpful in preparing racers for qualifying sessions which are very important. Being able to consistently qualify on the front row is a huge advantage and time trialing will help immensely in this regard.

I strongly encourage everyone in NASA who wants to compete to do at least one year of time trials. I transitioned from hpde to time trials before I started racing and that was when I made my greatest improvements as a driver. It took me from "hpde mode" to "race mode" with a completely different level of focus and goals. I remember being in awe of the time trial guys at the time who could go out the first session and in 1 or 2 laps turn lap times within tenths of their PB's while it took me most of the day to "get up to speed". Racecraft came later with w2w racing, but if you want to race at the front of the pack instead of the middle or back of the pack, then you better be able to turn fast time trial laps.

I could not have done what I did in the following 2 videos without my experience in time trials. These are my qualifying sessions at the 2014 SCCA Runoffs and 2014 Nasa nationals. You line up, go out on track and get one or maybe two (if you're lucky) laps to turn your fastest ***** out lap. That's what time trialing is all about and I love it!

T1 Runoffs Laguna Seca Qualifying Run - YouTube

Nasa Nationals West Qualifying Laps ST2/TT2 Corvette - YouTube
Your insight is much appreciated and I will take on board as I progress from HPDE to TT and hopefully W2W at a later date.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:59 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

How did you like the 2 mile? I bet it's pretty busy. I've only done it combined as a 5 mile. Nice cars too! What is that orange car?
I think combined with the 3 mile, it would be great. Stand alone, it's a bit busy. I only went out one session in a Grand Sport (I really tired of instructing novices).

The orange car is a new BAC Mono (street legal) extremely fast. 0-60 in 2.6.
280 horse Cosworth, 1280 lbs, 5 speed sequential Hewland with paddle shift.
The suspension is very close to our Atlantic.

Big. big bucks.
Attached Images    
Old 03-24-2015, 12:41 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

The thing that prevented me from going TT is that it's nothing more than glorified HPDE. Sure you have open passing, but you still have the same performance disparity, i.e. random guy in a Miata who belongs in HPDE2 holding you up and When you pass it isn't for position, so they'll still harp on safety and risk isn't worth it blah blah blah. Sure, W2W has race track etiquette (out of class rookies need to give the fvck way!), but there's a lot more desperation and you're worried about EVERY lap being your fastest and not just the first 2. It's a whole different ballgame!

Get notified of new replies

To School me on NASA TT

Old 03-24-2015, 06:26 AM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Anyone thinking about TT should read Bill's(Redtopz) post........... he's spot on. Obviously various regions and organizations may have different numbers and levels of cars. However, anyone who calls TT a glorified HPDE has never been involved with a representative TT field.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:41 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Too many people think that HPDEs are competitive. They're not.

Anything where people can win (or lose) is very different from a track day.

Solo 2 of instance is very competitive. After i won a national championship I went to track days. I spend a lot less money and have a lot more fun.

At a track day you might get to pass a few cars and if your car is intact at the end it's been a good day. You won. So did everyone else.

Richard Newton
Old 03-24-2015, 03:54 PM
bluemagoo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Rocky Mountain NASA, if there are a lot of TT entries they'll often split TT into 2 run groups. Usually it's TTU, 1-3, & TTB in one session and TTC-F in a separate session.

Quick Reply: School me on NASA TT