Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post your experience with stainless speed bleeders

Old 03-27-2015, 04:38 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,145 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Didn't read the thread, but just buy a Motiv pressure bleeder. Skip the speed bleeders. Pump to 13ish psi and crack the bleed screw. Best tool I've ever bought.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:56 PM
Deuce Man
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by miracle_whip4130
Do you ever have any troubles with sucking in air around the bleeder screw threads? I have heard of people sucking in air there with a vacuum bleeder and thinking there was still air in the lines, even though that was not the case. I've also heard a little grease around the bleeder screw threads can solve this issue when vacuum bleeding.
If you have this issue, a very small amount of grease around the bleeder screw threads does work. Also, if the fittings that attach to the bleeder screw then to the hose leak, just use a small amount of vaseline or grease and it will seal.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:46 AM
GoatHead
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Reviving this post.

I am considering the speed bleeder. For track use, do I need the stainless steel variant, or the standard just steel works fine. I am worrying about heat. The stainless steel is $15 each and the standard is $7. Big different in price when you factor that I need 8.

Thanks,
Old 06-13-2019, 12:18 PM
andersnor
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I always use a VACUM bleeder, not pressure, much better experience with vacum.

Mine is Wurth brand.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:03 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
They would be better for a quick track bleed. For Motive try keeping the master full & just use the bottle dry for pressure only, much simpler.

What he says.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:12 PM
GoatHead
Pro

I used Motif bleeder on my other cars, and I hated it, it never sealed properly. Also, it is bulky and it takes precious room in the trunk. Currently, I have a vacuum bleeder, and I hate it as well. It works, but it gets slippery with gloves on, and air are sucked from the end, as other user mentioned.

The speed bleeder seams to be the ticket and the cleanest solution., however I am concerned about quality and reliability with track use. In their catalog, they are listing Carlson product number, a company in OH. I called Carlson, and they deny any association with them. $15 for the stainless steel is too steep for me. I may go with the standard,$7, if there is reliably track use.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:39 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Standard steel bleed screws have a tendency to corrode. I would go with SS. OTOH, I could not get the bleed screws to fit properly, and I ordered the right ones. The MityVac doesn't seem to be able to pull a strong enough vacuum to work and you'll get air from the threads of the bleed screw. I was already down the path with the micro bubbles. it is a real pita to get rid of and your pedal is always spongy feeling. I use a gravity and flush the system prior to track day, or the two person method.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:25 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

When I was tracking my car I had the SS version. They worked great, never a problem bleeding brakes before every event for several years.

DH
Old 06-13-2019, 04:30 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

I've use both stainless and regular speed bleeders. Both work as advertised. I actually bought a set of stainless for the C7. They are still sitting in a box somewhere because I discovered Motiv. I can see that speed bleeder would work out better for the track.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:58 AM
GoatHead
Pro

Any object on using the standard "stee" speed bleeder for mostly track use?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Post your experience with stainless speed bleeders