Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Friday-at-the-Track (FATT)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 04:12 PM
MarCorpsMustang
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Friday-at-the-Track (FATT)

I know it's been discussed before, but I just wanted to comment on my experience at Summit Point's FATT yesterday in my new Stingray. In short: an absolutely fantastic time. The quality of instruction and the entire experience were outstanding. I learned a lot about my car, myself, and the early elementaries of high-performance driving. Thanks to the PDR, I am able to play back and review the entire day at my leisure on my laptop and analyze techniques and ways to improve. (If I could post the video here, I would). I owe a special shout-out to forum member Argonaut, who was my instructor for the day. My sincerest thanks to you for your professionalism, quality of instruction, mastery of the subject matter, and your patience as I fumbled my way into my new addiction. Can't wait for the next event (April)!
Old 03-28-2015, 05:54 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Glad you had a good time, just be careful or you will get sucked into THE DARK SIDE and become a Track Rat.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:50 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Welcome to the disease!

I ran Summit Point main about this time last year which was my first event. I'm wrapping up my winter mods and have a full calendar of events coming up........

Get ready to spend some dough, The visa is about to take some heat!
Old 03-30-2015, 08:40 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Steve - it's very gratifying to hear you had such a good time. At the end of the day it's the smiles on faces that make instructing so rewarding. You did a great job picking up the fundamentals and made good progress thru the 4 run sessions - a trend I'm sure will continue at the next event.

Hopefully its alot warmer on April 24th for the next FATT event. If you attend, make a point of getting over to the skid pad - its a fantastic teaching tool where you learn how to deal with sudden understeer and oversteer situations. I have a friend, a fellow instructor, who recently spent the entire day working with students on a skid pad. Towards the end of the day he took his BRZ out on track and promptly set his personal best time ever and said it was due entirely to the confidence built up on the skid pad.

I look forward to seeing you again. It is indeed an addiction - and not just the driving but also the friends you make and everyone's enthusiasm and passion they have for this sport.

Brad
Old 03-30-2015, 08:41 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dan H.
Welcome to the disease!

I ran Summit Point main about this time last year which was my first event. I'm wrapping up my winter mods and have a full calendar of events coming up........

Get ready to spend some dough, The visa is about to take some heat!
Dan - what events are on your calendar. Hope to meet you out there sometime.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:38 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Brad,
I'd love to meet some good covette folks. So far, the events I have run have been light on our cars. PCA guys have been super nice and helpful, I've learned a ton from them. I can imagine what kind of guidance someone with more intimate knowledge of our cars could provide.

May 8th - Audi/NJ - Pocono IMSA course
Jun 19-21 - PCA Potomac - Watkins Glen
Aug 8-9 - PCA Allegheny - Pittsburgh International
Fourth is a wildcard - Could be any one of these in sept/oct (VIR, Mid-Ohio, or Summit Main)

Do our calendars cross paths?
Dan
Old 03-30-2015, 03:13 PM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brad,
I'd love to meet some good covette folks. So far, the events I have run have been light on our cars.
Lot of good Corvette folks in the area, Brad knows a great crowd.

I'll be at NASA events at Summit Point, VIR, Dominion, and NJMP Thunderbolt throughout the year. Also planning road trips to Road Atlanta in June, Lime Rock in July, and Mid Ohio in October all with NASA. Feel free to PM me if these events like up and/or need an instructor at them.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:35 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Brad,
I'd love to meet some good covette folks. So far, the events I have run have been light on our cars. PCA guys have been super nice and helpful, I've learned a ton from them. I can imagine what kind of guidance someone with more intimate knowledge of our cars could provide.

May 8th - Audi/NJ - Pocono IMSA course
Jun 19-21 - PCA Potomac - Watkins Glen
Aug 8-9 - PCA Allegheny - Pittsburgh International
Fourth is a wildcard - Could be any one of these in sept/oct (VIR, Mid-Ohio, or Summit Main)

Do our calendars cross paths?
Dan
Dan - Those sound like good events. I've been to a few Potomac and Shattenbaum PCA events in the past - both seem like real good clubs but like you say, a little light in the Corvette dept. The first weekend in May I will be at Pocono with Cumberland Valley Corvette Club - if you can swing another May event there's your chance for more Vettes than you can handle. In June I will be at NJMP with Hooked On Driving. Check out TrackDaze.com - I'm frequently at their events, as are a number of other Vette guys. In fact one event (well actually 2) you should seriously think about is VIR in Nov. This is an annual trip for a lot of us more northerly guys. 4 days on track at VIR: Sat/Sun with Potomac Audi club and Mon/Tues with TrackDaze. On Tuesday we run the 'Grand Course' configuration at VIR - (see Car and Driver's Lightning Lap). This configuration is rarely run. Its often called 'America's Nurburgring' and is a real treat to drive. PM me if you want more info.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:45 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

[QUOTE=argonaut;1589304318]
The first weekend in May I will be at Pocono with Cumberland Valley Corvette Club - if you can swing another May event there's your chance for more Vettes than you can handle.

Argonaut - glad to hear you will be at the CVCC Pocono event.

Dan - PM or let me know if you want info on the CVCC event. We're running the "North Course", which combines the infield course with part of the main track.

Mike
Old 03-31-2015, 04:07 PM
MarCorpsMustang
Instructor

Originally Posted by argonaut
You did a great job picking up the fundamentals and made good progress thru the 4 run sessions - a trend I'm sure will continue at the next event.
Brad: The Performance Data Recorder (PDR) in the new Corvette is a fantastic tool that has enabled me to play back all four of our runs and concentrate on the techniques you were teaching me. The quality of your instruction and the ability to play back every minute while viewing all the parameters of the car's performance (speed, gear, throttle, brake, nannies, etc) will enable me to do much better next time out. Hope to see you there!
Steve
Old 04-01-2015, 11:05 AM
ponycar
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You guys should check out the Audi events at Summit. They are very small and Vette friendly. Many of the instructors from FATT and the SCCA PDX events are at the Audi events as well. Great people. Audi runs a high track time schedule. Very relaxed well run events.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:40 AM
MarCorpsMustang
Instructor

Originally Posted by ponycar
You guys should check out the Audi events at Summit. They are very small and Vette friendly. Many of the instructors from FATT and the SCCA PDX events are at the Audi events as well. Great people. Audi runs a high track time schedule. Very relaxed well run events.
Good advice. I have heard this before. And the Audi club lets Corvettes run the track during their event; correct?
Old 04-01-2015, 08:57 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by MarCorpsMustang
Good advice. I have heard this before. And the Audi club lets Corvettes run the track during their event; correct?
Yup, Audi Club is all marque friendly. It seems that most car clubs are these days - I'm running with PCA at SP this Friday/Saturday. The Audi Club is running at VIR April 13/14 if you want to come try out VIR.

Last edited by Poor-sha; 04-01-2015 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:47 AM
ponycar
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

[Audi events at Summit and VIR are run by a great group of folks. Several of the instructors are Corvette drivers. I run my C5 Z06 with them. Great club. Good luck keeping up with the instructor (Lady) in the white and pink 911.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:49 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

Is Dave still running the CVCC Pocono? What a COB.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:17 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SCCACornerWorker
Is Dave still running the CVCC Pocono? What a COB.
DW is indeed still running the annual spring event. Not much has changed :-)

Get notified of new replies

To Friday-at-the-Track (FATT)

Quick Reply: Friday-at-the-Track (FATT)