Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 02:16 PM
vettenutchas
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Tire Gauges?

Who makes accurate gauge at a reasonable price?
Old 03-31-2015, 09:21 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the Joe's racing one from Amazon for like $25. It is easy to read, easy to use. Seems like I read on here to get one where your pressures are in the middle of the gauge's range, as it would be more accurate. So I got the 0 - 60 lbs one.

HTH.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:44 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

Attended an alignment workshop a few years ago by Danny Kellermeyer and we were asked to bring our tire gauges. We had everything from a $10 gauge to $100 liquid filled gauges. Danny proceed to inform us how these were set and how much they would vary year to year. He had a 5" scientific gauge, that he keeps at Standard Temperature and Pressure, mounted as a test instrument and set it at 36lb. Each year he measures his "every day" gauge against it to see how far off it was. We all measured our own gauges and every one was off by .4 to 1.1 lbs. Bottom line, get a gauge that is accurate to 1%, they run $25-100.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:26 PM
Ludedude
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been using Longacre gauges for over a decade now. The oil filled ones are accurate and more importantly repeatably so since they have temp/pressure equalizing mechanisms. They're pretty tough too and have served me well at the track as well as during my offroad adventures.

Like Gordy said, +/- 1% is a good number so I'd look for something that meets that target if possible. Easily done for under $100.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:05 PM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

I had a Drager, made in W Germany for about 30 years. It finally gave up the ghost, and they are selling used on ebay for $70-80 now. Heck with that, replacing it with a Longacre.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:30 PM
Ludedude
Racer

Originally Posted by apex26
I had a Drager, made in W Germany for about 30 years. It finally gave up the ghost, and they are selling used on ebay for $70-80 now. Heck with that, replacing it with a Longacre.
Can't complain about 30 years of service!
Old 04-01-2015, 01:01 PM
YYZ06
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Longacre here too.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:19 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a Joe's racing one that works well but have used Intercomp and Longacre in the past on other teams, both were great.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:25 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Longacre with the large dial ! The large face gauge allows reading smaller increments of pressure than a smaller gauge face.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:53 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Everything I know about tire gauges I learned from Danny.

Rule 1: Accuracy is not as important as reliability. A tire gauge can be a lb. off but it has to be a lb. off all the time.

Rule 2: Use the same tire gauge all the time. When you start to swap around you'll get in trouble.

Here's an article that Danny helped me write.

Richard Newton
Old 04-03-2015, 08:49 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

I, too, have a Longacre dial gauge, 0-60.

Hint . . . I also have a cheap pencil gauge that's my reference gauge. When I used to compete, every month I would compare my "track gauge" to my reference gauge, just to make sure that my "track gauge" didn't shift. Years ago I battled a handling issue for several weeks before realizing that my "track gauge" had been damaged and was reading 5 psi different.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:52 PM
Ludedude
Racer

Originally Posted by rfn026
Everything I know about tire gauges I learned from Danny.

Rule 1: Accuracy is not as important as reliability. A tire gauge can be a lb. off but it has to be a lb. off all the time.

Rule 2: Use the same tire gauge all the time. When you start to swap around you'll get in trouble.

Here's an article that Danny helped me write.

Richard Newton
Exactly. Same gauge every time so you can have repeatable measurements for YOU. Bonus if it's temp/pressure compensated as all good gauges should be.

Nice article btw.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:21 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordy M
Attended an alignment workshop a few years ago by Danny Kellermeyer and we were asked to bring our tire gauges. We had everything from a $10 gauge to $100 liquid filled gauges. Danny proceed to inform us how these were set and how much they would vary year to year. He had a 5" scientific gauge, that he keeps at Standard Temperature and Pressure, mounted as a test instrument and set it at 36lb. Each year he measures his "every day" gauge against it to see how far off it was. We all measured our own gauges and every one was off by .4 to 1.1 lbs. Bottom line, get a gauge that is accurate to 1%, they run $25-100.
Accuracy is fleeting in air gauges. A pencil gauge may be more accurate than a $100 gauge. Even Danny has to make sure his scientific gauge is calibrated by a standards lab on a regular basis if he plans to measure other gauges against it.

The key thing is to always make your pressure measurements with the same gauge. You will set your pressures relative to that gauge and choose the pressures that make your car perform the best.

To make that easier to do you want a gauge that is easy to read, provides good resolution (can tell half pound increments) and is rugged so it doesn't break when you drop it as you will eventually do. I like a gauge with a straight Vs angled chuck a bleeder valve that lets me drop the pressure by pushing the valve. A gauge that holds the pressure isn't desirable since it makes it difficult to bleed pressure down and can be a problem if you forget to release it when moving to the next wheel.

Bill
Old 04-05-2015, 11:41 AM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Joe's gauges for me I have 2 a 0-60 and a 0-15 low pressure one is for my sand toys.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:10 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I use a large dial Longacres guage that is accurate to .5%. Prior to that I had a nice digital guage from Griot's Garage that reads in .1 lbs and is accurate to .5%.... I used that guage for years until it ran out of batteries at the track one day. That is when I decided to switch to the Longacres guage that doesn't require batteries.

Charley

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Gauges?

Quick Reply: Tire Gauges?