Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick release brake lines?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 09:53 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default quick release brake lines?

Wondering if anyone has tried this for quickly swapping calipers. I already swap pads and rotors for the track so with a quick disconnect line in place like on hydraulic machinery I could swap the calipers too with minimal extra work.

Why you ask? Well I use a 17" chrome zr1 replica rim for street which has about 20mm clearance between rim spoke and rotor which isn't even close to clearing anything more than a 2 piston setup. I use 18" wagon wheels for my continental scrubs on the track. Since my budget is extremely limited I have to pinch anywhere I can.

If I get a set of c5 z06 rims that can fit a 6 piston front then I would also have to buy a set for the occasional street cruise (few and far between). By being able to still use my current street rim I save the $500 finding a set of z06 rims which I don't particularly care for on a c4.

If anyone has had experience do they end up having to bleed every time or have trouble with their consistency?

Last edited by rithsleeper; 03-31-2015 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:15 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Old 04-01-2015, 11:25 AM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by rithsleeper
Wondering if anyone has tried this for quickly swapping calipers. I already swap pads and rotors for the track so with a quick disconnect line in place like on hydraulic machinery I could swap the calipers too with minimal extra work.

Why you ask? Well I use a 17" chrome zr1 replica rim for street which has about 20mm clearance between rim spoke and rotor which isn't even close to clearing anything more than a 2 piston setup. I use 18" wagon wheels for my continental scrubs on the track. Since my budget is extremely limited I have to pinch anywhere I can.

If I get a set of c5 z06 rims that can fit a 6 piston front then I would also have to buy a set for the occasional street cruise (few and far between). By being able to still use my current street rim I save the $500 finding a set of z06 rims which I don't particularly care for on a c4.

If anyone has had experience do they end up having to bleed every time or have trouble with their consistency?
Great question!
I was involved with Swagelok quick connects for 25 years and ran into this more than once. Air inclusion is spelled out in the technical brochures of Q. C.'s for when they are coupled and disconnected . For instance, their minature or "QM" series states that spillage and air inclusion is 0.1 cm3. With this in mind, you will want to consider bleeding your lines after each use.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:25 AM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The pro race teams use them without bleeding, so you should be fine to use them.

However, the quick disconnect fittings that are setup for brake lines that I have seen are around $150 each. So, $300 for the front in just the quick disconnects for one set of calipers. Plus whatever other fittings and lines you need to add/modify to be able to use them, the fittings I've seen are -3AN, so you'd have to adapt the hardline, mount the fitting and then have a hose run to the calipers. Then about another $80 or so for 2 male sides to the fitting to attach to your second set of calipers, plus whatever line you need to use for the second caliper to attach to the fitting.

It's a nice setup, but I doubt it will be the costs savings you were hoping for.

These prices are based off what I have seen for Aeroquip fittings.
The other brand of quick disconnect I have seen in Jiffy Tite, but when I asked them a year ago at a trade show, they said that their quick disconnect wasn't a total seal against air for brake fluid. So, you might be able to use them (definitely double check), but you would likely have to bleed the system at every swap.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:28 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I think the biggest problem would be finding a quick change connection that didn't allow some small amount of air to get into the fluid. My MaxJax lift has quick change hydraulic connections and each time I take them apart and reconnect I get a little bit of air into the hydraulic piston on the lift which I have to bleed out every now and then.

Bill
Old 04-01-2015, 01:37 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

$280/corner. https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gr...roupID=STAUBLI
Old 04-01-2015, 06:37 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

I can see how they might not be the most cost efficient solution to my problem. With my speed bleeders I don't really see a problem bleeding them each time a swap is made. I drive about 4-5 track weekends with my corvette a year and hardly ever swap my street stuff back on but maybe 2 times a year. I might be able to sell off my c5 brakes and move back to stock c4 on the street to help with cost. But then again for an additional $200 I could just have a set of z06 rims for street use in addition to the track set....

Good stuff to think about. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:13 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

So you'd be swapping 6 pots on for the track and then the C5 calipers for the street? You could kinda compromise and just swap C6 Z51 rotors/caliper mounts on for the track if you don't already have 6 pots. They're sized for an 18" wheel and should offer a little more bite. I missed out a while back on the rotors and mounts to swap my car which wears 18s up front now.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:58 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
So you'd be swapping 6 pots on for the track and then the C5 calipers for the street? You could kinda compromise and just swap C6 Z51 rotors/caliper mounts on for the track if you don't already have 6 pots. They're sized for an 18" wheel and should offer a little more bite. I missed out a while back on the rotors and mounts to swap my car which wears 18s up front now.
The problem really isn't the diameter of my rim. It is the rotor to wheel spoke clearance that is the problem. There is barely enough clearance for the c5 brake and it only has 2 pistons on the interior. Adding pistons to the exterior of the caliper would really cause big clearance issues. I would have to buy at least one set of track rims regardless if I moved to any size brake caliper that is larger than c5.

Those prices at 900 are pretty tempting though.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:26 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you buy DRM's braided line kit and have Randy send some extra AN fittings for your spare calipers, it'd be a pretty easy switch because ou wouldn't have to deal with the copper washers. Yes, you'll need to bleed them, but it won't take much and if you're anything like me, you'd want to bleed with the quick-connects anyway

The other side of the issue is that something like a quick-connect is more likely to fail than a simple braided line and fittings.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:14 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Staubli fittings or BMRS fittings would be the only thing I would use in something like that.

If you need to hot swap calipers on the car, then it makes the procedure a lot quicker. If you don't have to do an endurance swap then I would probably sway you away from something like that.

Brakes are a big safety item and if you are going to be pulling things apart then you need to take the time to look things over. A QD fitting on there sometimes can make you forget there are other things going on and might get overlooked.

Just a thought.

Get notified of new replies

To quick release brake lines?

Quick Reply: quick release brake lines?