Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hallett COMMA Series Round 1 Recap

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 03:47 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Default Hallett COMMA Series Round 1 Recap

Hallett COMMA Series Round 1

This was my first time ever to visit/run Hallett. The main goal was to learn the track for the upcoming SCCA Majors April 10-12. Still have a lot to learn, leaving copious amounts of time on the table but I'm happy with how things went.

Practice: Walked the track night before, gained 1 second right there.

Qualifying:

6-Lap Qualifying Race: Note the brake checking Porsche, instead of trying to be faster he started playing games, really silly, fellow racers confirmed this is his MO...tried to make it around him but went into T2 too hot...had a 270 spin, gassed it in hopes of bringing it all the way around but ended up 90 degrees to the curbing, stalled, oh well...got 8th overall out of 13 or 14. Karma got the Porsche in the next race though...

12-Lap Feature Race: Started 8th, race got going, made a few moves, everyone fell into their groove. Nate Stacy (PWC Volvo), Dr. David Peppers (yes, his real name, white stock car) and myself had a little race going on for quite a few laps...good clean fun/racing! Nate's brakes starting fading, Peppers and I made gradual gains every lap. Peppers went for the pass in T4 and overcooked it and went off, I slid by, avoiding contact, did a little dirt work myself. Nate gave me the pass out of T9 (aka "The &itch"), his brakes were really fading. Kept on going strong...a competitor had oiled down the front straight, I kept it under control, had some traction issues but all good. Remember that karma thing? Came around the next lap and noticed the debris flag (now out due to oil slick) and a waving yellow...Porsche spun from the oil slick, he was stuck off track, had to be extricated. All was going well, third place/podium in GT1 was just a lap and a half away...well, it was not meant to be...felt a commotion from the rear...and saw/smelled tire smoke, something didn't feel quite right...chassis was loooooose (panhard bar broke in two places)....oh well, kept on going but at a reduced pace...gotta finish, even with parts dragging/sparking (as I found out later, BTW kept on watching for the meatball/mechanical flag). Finished 4th in GT1.

Had a blast, will be back! Gregg and the crew at Pinnacle Autosports are prepping #13 for the upcoming SCCA Majors at Hallett April 11-12.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:54 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Video recap of the GT group:

Old 04-07-2015, 11:18 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Old 04-07-2015, 11:27 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Nice "action" series of photos coming into T2 and into (well off) of T3: went to pass the "brake-checking Porsche" and came into T2 too hot...had a 270 spin, gassed it in hopes of bringing it all the way around but ended up 90 degrees to the curbing, stalled, oh well...karma got the P car in the next race though.

Last edited by Captain Buddha; 04-07-2015 at 12:24 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Hallett COMMA Series Round 1 Recap

Quick Reply: Hallett COMMA Series Round 1 Recap