Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions Please, Breake Upgrade C6

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 04:17 AM
AmericanDream
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Suggestions Please, Breake Upgrade C6

Hoping to get some suggestions on upgrading the stock brakes on my 30K C6 LS3, car mostly used for street but some track, any suggestions on big break kits or perhaps a zo6 upgrade, would love to hear about your experience and cost, thanks
Old 04-06-2015, 09:06 AM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by AmericanDream
Hoping to get some suggestions on upgrading the stock brakes on my 30K C6 LS3, car mostly used for street but some track, any suggestions on big break kits or perhaps a zo6 upgrade, would love to hear about your experience and cost, thanks
If you want to end/prevent brake problems for the foreseeable future, don't mess around with the factory C6 Z06 components. They're rife with compromises that won't get you where you want to go. The calipers are heavy, the pad setup is goofy, the discs are heavy and run in the wrong direction on one side of the car. If you went that route, it would primarily be a cosmetic mod. They'd look good, but you definitely wouldn't be gaining much in terms of track performance. You'd actually be better off with a Z51 brake setup, even though the discs are slightly smaller and it uses a sliding caliper.

I'd recommend doing your brakes once, and doing it right. Based on your particular needs, I'd recommend our outstanding front AP Racing Factory Big Brake Kit. We developed these in conjunction with AP, and they're fully built in England. They offer some of the biggest discs you can cram into an 18" wheel (362mm), AP's latest six piston caliper design, etc. They're specifically designed for dual-use street/track cars, and come with your choice of red or black calipers.

Here's what they offer:

We have an excess of these in stock and we're just about to run a Tax Day sale for $1,000 off of retail!
                So for $2,699, you get everything you need for the front of the car, including pads and brake fluid. There are less expensive kits out there, but you won't find anything near the quality of these kits at that price. Feel free to email me or PM me for more info.

On the rear, I'd suggest a set of Spiegler SS Brake Lines and some good quality pads. You're definitely better off spending a disproportionate amount of funds on getting the best front system you can afford. The front is where the upgrades will pay the biggest dividends on your car. An OEM rear setup with good pads and SS brake lines should get you by fine if you get a stellar front BBK.

One other factor to keep in mind is support. We (Essex/AP Racing) offer unparalleled support for our kits. We always have a human being answer our phones. We have many customers on these forums who we've helped with brakes over the years, and we aren't going anywhere. We're also avid forum sponsors. Personally, I owned and tracked a C5Z for a number of years, so I'm intimately familiar with these cars. Check out the essex blog for customer reviews of our products and customer service.

Finally, when you choose AP Racing, you're keeping great company. The C6.R's won Le Mans numerous times running AP Racing hardware, as have the Corvette Daytona Prototypes. People can talk all day about what other products can do, but they can't say that. The AP Racing components have been proven time and again under the toughest conditions, on the fastest Corvettes ever produced.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:41 PM
                JerryTX
                Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AmericanDream

Search is your friend.
                Old 04-07-2015, 08:26 AM
                argonaut
                Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

There are many past threads on this subject but here is the summary:

- Swapping to C6Z06 is a poor choice - they work well but are high maintenance and expensive (pads).
                - AP Racing, Stoptech and Wilwood all offer good aftermarket BBKs. Each brand has its adherents and fanboys. All have positive reviews. Pick your poison and don't look back. - Make sure you factor in pad and rotor replacement costs to understand overall costs for the system.

Get notified of new replies

To Suggestions Please, Breake Upgrade C6

Quick Reply: Suggestions Please, Breake Upgrade C6