Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ChumpCar's new late model stock car road racing series

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 12:10 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Default ChumpCar's new late model stock car road racing series

Chumpcar is looking to add a sprint race class for perimeter frame late model stock cars similar the SCCA GTA types. The main difference will be they want to stick to motors with about 400 HP and have some cost controls with regard to shocks, tranny etc.

Motors they would like to see competitors use include the Chevy 604 and 602 crate motors, and 5.3 iron block LS motors with carburetor.

An open 23 degree motor is being considered but they will have to breathe through a 350 two barrel to restrict power to the desired level.

This could be a fun, competitive series with re-purposed short track cars freshened and converted for mid to high teens in price.

link to chumpcar thread on this: http://forum.chumpcar.com/index.php?...nt-race-class/
Old 04-07-2015, 05:34 PM
Rexracer77
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

This looks very interesting. Could be a lot of fun, and basically only adds options for people not doing chumpcar because they do late models. Or let Chump teams add a car to do something a bit different.

Our team has 2x chumpcars, and a late model sitting on the frame rack. Maybe we will toss the Chump Iroc motor into the late model and go racing.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:10 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the idea. How do I register on their forum so I can advertise my LMSC?

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=129929
Old 04-08-2015, 04:28 PM
Rexracer77
Racer

Originally Posted by Han Solo
I like the idea. How do I register on their forum so I can advertise my LMSC?

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=129929

Yeah looks like a good candidate! Make an account and post up some pics, there is a for sale section.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:17 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It will be interesting to see how that evolves, it seems to me that a lot of the interested parties and even the people in charge seem to think that Cup Cars and late models are the same thing....
Old 04-09-2015, 03:49 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by LateBreak
It will be interesting to see how that evolves, it seems to me that a lot of the interested parties and even the people in charge seem to think that Cup Cars and late models are the same thing....
Mike C , the Eastern Regional Director for ChumpCar knows the difference. He has been doing his homework with regard to the different chassis and potential power plants. They seem pretty committed to around 400 HP, which will be fine. A 2900 # late model with a torquey 400 HP motor will still be a pretty quick piece. I would say in the same ball park as the old T1 C5 Corvette's on most tracks.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:38 PM
Rexracer77
Racer

Originally Posted by LateBreak

Since there really isnt anything on the line but bragging rights, and the HP limiter, and the minimum weight, will it really matter?

This isnt a pro racing series, even if there are pros that come out, the general populace is novices, with some veterans out to have a good time.

And at the end of the day, thats the point, to have a good time.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:43 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexracer77
Since there really isnt anything on the line but bragging rights, and the HP limiter, and the minimum weight, will it really matter?

This isnt a pro racing series, even if there are pros that come out, the general populace is novices, with some veterans out to have a good time.

And at the end of the day, thats the point, to have a good time.
Hopefully, with the cost controls mentioned by the OP, any pro car showing up would start or end the day missing significant parts of the car by being claimed/purchased by the other competitors.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:38 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Cost controls sure didn't work in the initial Chump Car series. This one will get even more expensive.

I really do support the idea though.

I speak from 3 years experience of running the series.

Richard Newton
Old 04-12-2015, 09:33 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
Cost controls sure didn't work in the initial Chump Car series. This one will get even more expensive.

I really do support the idea though.

I speak from 3 years experience of running the series.

Richard Newton
Can you explain some of the methods that were used to (attempt to) contain the costs? Thanks.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:53 PM
Rexracer77
Racer

Originally Posted by 69427
Hopefully, with the cost controls mentioned by the OP, any pro car showing up would start or end the day missing significant parts of the car by being claimed/purchased by the other competitors.
I didn't see anything about claimed/purchased parts/cars as part of the rule set, but I didn't read it closely either. What does the rule set say?

Get notified of new replies

To ChumpCar's new late model stock car road racing series

Quick Reply: ChumpCar's new late model stock car road racing series