Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NCM Motorsports Park April 18th with 10/10ths anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 07:58 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by bdanyluk
Great....FYI HPDE = 1000000% > Auto-X You'll see. Now you will actually have apexes in turns instead of just staying in between the cones.
I concur. I like autox, but there is a lot of standing around, just to drive for 6 minutes. Much different than HPDE, but also not as expensive.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:59 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JohnAlley
Will be in Advanced group in #9 full race prep Corvette. As Arte has said use first day to learn the course then maybe and I mean maybe drive at 7/10's on day two. Will be my first time at track and I have a lot of WTW experience and when Arte speaks I listen.
BTW, John, it was nice riding with you at Putnam. Do you happen to have a video of the Mustang incident from last year?
Old 04-13-2015, 08:37 PM
AngryJ
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tytek
I concur. I like autox, but there is a lot of standing around, just to drive for 6 minutes. Much different than HPDE, but also not as expensive.
That's my only knock with autocross. A 6 hour day with 6 minutes of seat time.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:07 PM
AngryJ
Instructor

I'm a little confused by the comments here about the course layout. Both the NCM website and 10/10ths advertise the Grand Max course, which features the 4000' straight. Why does the concensus here seem to be that they're running the Grand Full course? I'd prefer the Grand Full. Hope that's what they were running.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:24 PM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by AngryJ
I'm a little confused by the comments here about the course layout. Both the NCM website and 10/10ths advertise the Grand Max course, which features the 4000' straight. Why does the concensus here seem to be that they're running the Grand Full course? I'd prefer the Grand Full. Hope that's what they were running.
When I registered months ago, I registered for the grand max. In an email today from Bill at 10/10ths, it says we're running the grand full which has two chicanes.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:25 PM
JohnAlley
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW, John, it was nice riding with you at Putnam. Do you happen to have a video of the Mustang incident from last year?
A copy is on my Facebook page I think
Old 04-13-2015, 09:51 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

It is, indeed, the full course, not the max course. The max is probably going to be reserved for the professional venues and corvette racing testing. I would imagine they might run other venues in full cage cars but I doubt seriously any amateur track days will use it. It is not something a lot of instructors will be willing to climb into the passenger seat to experience with someone else driving. As I stated in an earlier post, T1 would get busy with two side by side passing and a third coming onto track at pit out there. Actually, with the speed possible on the max straight, one car alone might overdrive it if the driver does not have a lot of track time. However, I am not associated with the NCM in anyway and this is all speculation on my part as to how they plan to use it. But, I do have several days on the track with the full straight, not max.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:03 AM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

It will be the Grand Max Full with the Sink Hole and the Chicane prior to turn one.
I think both add a lot of technical value and fun to the course and at this point, I would rather drivers learn this track (which is still very fast) vs setting a new land speed record on the long straight
Old 04-14-2015, 10:00 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

In viewing at least a half dozen weather forcasts, I'm not sure if I should bring my Vette or my ark.

I'm also trying to decide which would be tougher - to drive 600 miles down to Bowling Green and not unload because of solid rain, or stay home only to find out that there were dry track conditions.

Last year I went 9.5 dry days out of 10 track days in 3 states.

Bill, to help me decide if I should show up, please tell me you will have the the track drier trucks on site.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:24 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by US Icon
In viewing at least a half dozen weather forcasts, I'm not sure if I should bring my Vette or my ark.

I'm also trying to decide which would be tougher - to drive 600 miles down to Bowling Green and not unload because of solid rain, or stay home only to find out that there were dry track conditions.

Last year I went 9.5 dry days out of 10 track days in 3 states.

Bill, to help me decide if I should show up, please tell me you will have the the track drier trucks on site.
I have seen downpours with only 20% forecast and no rain when it was supposed to be 60%. For the next couple of months I guess we all have to take our chances. Besides, you know you will meet all kinds of interesting folks and make life long friends.

Hey, there are all kinds of attractions in BWG besides the track. They even have a sports car museum with a manufacturing plant across the road.

Last edited by SouthernSon; 04-14-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:26 AM
AngryJ
Instructor

I'm wondering the same about weather. What do you more experienced drivers recommend regarding HPDE's in the rain? I have Pilot Super Sport tires, which are great in wet conditions, but I have no desire to hit triple digits on wet pavement.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:42 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
I have seen downpours with only 20% forecast and no rain when it was supposed to be 60%. For the next couple of months I guess we all have to take our chances. Besides, you know you will meet all kinds of interesting folks and make life long friends.

Hey, there are all kinds of attractions in BWG besides the track. They even have a sports car museum with a manufacturing plant across the road.
I love your positive attitude sir.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:30 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm wondering the same about weather. What do you more experienced drivers recommend regarding HPDE's in the rain? I have Pilot Super Sport tires, which are great in wet conditions, but I have no desire to hit triple digits on wet pavement.
I bet if it's wet/rains, all of us in the "novice" group would go about 70mph max. We should all be on street tires anyway.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:22 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Weather update:

These are my go-to guys. You can usually take these guys to the bank. Looking like only a hit or miss for a couple of the days. I'll go for the miss.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/bow...orecast/328974
Old 04-14-2015, 03:24 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Looks like they are running a short version of the track, but set your goals high:

Old 04-19-2015, 09:30 AM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow... what a great Saturday it was! Both, SoutherSon and Painrace were present and did something I hadn't expected them to do... they hopped in my car and gave me a ton of free in-car coaching. This, being my first time at this track, was simply invaluable. It helped me get the line right (after a few sessions, anyway ). What a pair of stand up guys; true gentleman to say the least. Their combined racing pedigree, as well as their driving skills were most likely unmatched by others at the event. I also had the opportunity to have two other qualified drivers in the car with me, and their feedback was very valuable - so big thanks to them too.

SouthernSon also managed to take me for a ride in his 'black bullet' and had positively proven to me that I am slow. But, he also gave me a performance target to aim for down the road. Painrace drove my car, with me sitting shotgun, for a few laps to familiarize me with the track and to show me the right way of going around it. Can't thank these two hot shoes enough for wasting a lot of their precious time on sweating in my car with me, for what seemed like hours, on Saturday. It certainly made me a better driver and will keep paying dividends for years to come.

I look forward to coming back to NCM, potentially later this year. And, if those guys happen to be there, I know that it will be a great event. You meet a lot of great people at the track, but I have never come across a pair like these two... helpful, patient, and experienced drivers, who care more about giving back to the sport than they should.

All in all, I exceeded the goals I had set for myself for this track and had a great time. The NCM layout we ran was ultra technical and required a lot of concentration and a good memory. Making a bigger mistake there can cost you your car and the rest of your season (as a few unlucky participants had found out). I now have a lot of respect for this track, and even more respect for the instructors who are willing to hop in a car of someone they barely know and push them to get faster, better, and ultimately safer. I brought the car back home in one piece, so what else can one ask for?

SoutherSon and Painrace, if you read this... thank you very much for everything. In retrospect, I should have at least bought you guys lunch - and I will, given the opportunity next time.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:21 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Wow... what a great Saturday it was! Both, SoutherSon and Painrace were present and did something I hadn't expected them to do... they hopped in my car and gave me a ton of free in-car coaching. This, being my first time at this track, was simply invaluable. It helped me get the line right (after a few sessions, anyway ). What a pair of stand up guys; true gentleman to say the least. Their combined racing pedigree, as well as their driving skills were most likely unmatched by others at the event. I also had the opportunity to have two other qualified drivers in the car with me, and their feedback was very valuable - so big thanks to them too.

SouthernSon also managed to take me for a ride in his 'black bullet' and had positively proven to me that I am slow. But, he also gave me a performance target to aim for down the road. Painrace drove my car, with me sitting shotgun, for a few laps to familiarize me with the track and to show me the right way of going around it. Can't thank these two hot shoes enough for wasting a lot of their precious time on sweating in my car with me, for what seemed like hours, on Saturday. It certainly made me a better driver and will keep paying dividends for years to come.

I look forward to coming back to NCM, potentially later this year. And, if those guys happen to be there, I know that it will be a great event. You meet a lot of great people at the track, but I have never come across a pair like these two... helpful, patient, and experienced drivers, who care more about giving back to the sport than they should.

All in all, I exceeded the goals I had set for myself for this track and had a great time. The NCM layout we ran was ultra technical and required a lot of concentration and a good memory. Making a bigger mistake there can cost you your car and the rest of your season (as a few unlucky participants had found out). I now have a lot of respect for this track, and even more respect for the instructors who are willing to hop in a car of someone they barely know and push them to get faster, better, and ultimately safer. I brought the car back home in one piece, so what else can one ask for?

SoutherSon and Painrace, if you read this... thank you very much for everything. In retrospect, I should have at least bought you guys lunch - and I will, given the opportunity next time.
It is always fun to help someone who is already good and wants to be better and is as trainable as you were/are. You have talent and desire which is a rare combination. We had a wonderful time with you. You owe us nothing but to get faster and better. Not much to ask, is it.

10/10th is a great group with many talented drivers and instructors. It is also run very, very well by Captain Bill Neal and his group of professionals. NCM has become one of my favorite tracks and being just 1.5 hours from my home helps.

You did very, very well, Titus! All you need is more track time.

All the best to you.

I agree with your comments about Arte, Don and Paul. Really good guys and drivers.

I can't wait until our next race at NCM.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To NCM Motorsports Park April 18th with 10/10ths anyone?

Old 04-19-2015, 03:41 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Painrace
It is always fun to help someone who is already good and wants to be better and is as trainable as you were/are. You have talent and desire which is a rare combination. We had a wonderful time with you. You owe us nothing but to get faster and better. Not much to ask, is it.

10/10th is a great group with many talented drivers and instructors. It is also run very, very well by Captain Bill Neal and his group of professionals. NCM has become one of my favorite tracks and being just 1.5 hours from my home helps.

You did very, very well, Titus! All you need is more track time.

All the best to you.

X2! Even though it is a technical track, you started putting it together well. You were driving faster than I can talk. Looking forward to getting with you on the track again soon, Titus.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:27 PM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
I have seen downpours with only 20% forecast and no rain when it was supposed to be 60%.
Looks like you were right. Last thurday morning was drop dead date for me on deciding to drive 1,200 miles R/T, and risk/reward analysis on the weather. After viewing the forcasts from at least 10 websites and the weather channel on TV, I decided to not go. Every source was stating anywhere from 50 to 70% chance rain on thurs night and friday morning, and 90% rain Sat 90% rain Sun, so it made the decision easy. At the time I figgure maybe a half day of dry track time (Fri afternoon) and the rest a washout.

To see if I made the right call on actually believing the weathermen, I watched the NCM webcams of the track and sure as sit, no rain on fri or sat. I saw every one of you running around the track

$600 down the drain over believing the weather guesscast. I think I'll just stick with my backyard Road America.

Now lets see those youtube vids
Old 04-20-2015, 08:59 AM
AngryJ
Instructor

This was my first experience doing a HPDE and I don't think it could have went any better. I'm very impressed with 10/10ths and can see why everything runs so smoothly after talking with a few of the event coordinators. They focus on safety first but make sure they're teaching you how to get faster. I was fortunate enough to get a solo signoff, with thanks to Chuck Tucker who was my instructor for the day. That first solo session was life changing. I was really able to focus and get dialed in on my consistency. Still whiffed on turn 10 a couple times but was able to move through the novice group pretty well. Took my wife for a ride during the last session but she only lasted 3 laps (). Where are the pictures posted? I thought I heard them say abi/photo.com but that webpage does not exist.

I posted this same video in another thread about NCM. Added music because the sound quality was awful. 4th session for the novice group. Thanks again to 10/10ths!

Quick Reply: NCM Motorsports Park April 18th with 10/10ths anyone?