Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rotate rear tires at this point yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 09:15 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Default rotate rear tires at this point yes or no?

I have recently noticed significant camber related wear on my rears. Im not looking to reduce wear, but just advice on rotating them at this point - the insides are more worn than the outsides, and it seems the grip has fallen off on the tires (Bridgestone RE-11).

Would it be a good idea to rotate them and get the thinner amount of remaining tread to the outsides and the thicker amount of remaining tread faced inward? My concerns regarding rotating the tires are 1. if the remaining tread in the thinner section is of harder rubber and 2. the potential effect on water evacuation if the thinner tread is facing outward.

Thanks!

Old 04-09-2015, 01:05 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I don't see any disadvantage to flipping the tires. I do it on front tires all of the time.

Bill
Old 04-09-2015, 02:11 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Thanks!

Old 04-09-2015, 04:09 PM
dale3guy
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

RE-11's have asymmetrical tread and can't be flipped without decreasing performance.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:06 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dale3guy
RE-11's have asymmetrical tread and can't be flipped without decreasing performance.
RE11's are asymmetrical, but the outside will still remain the outside when you rotate. Unlike other asym tires, these do not have a left or right

Old 04-09-2015, 07:11 PM
dale3guy
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu
RE11's are asymmetrical, but the outside will still remain the outside when you rotate. Unlike other asym tires, these do not have a left or right

You can rotate them from side to side but that doesn't change which part of the tire is wearing more. The inside of the tire is still the inside regardless of which side of the car you put them on. To make the inside tread go on the outside you must flip them which is not advisable on asymmetric tires.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:23 PM
0SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Vendor

Location: Reno/McCarran, NV - Bay Area, CA - NW Burbs of Chicago, IL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to be clear- are you talking about rotating or pulling the tires off the wheels to flip them? RE-11 are asymmetrical but I have never had an issue flipping them and running them the "wrong" way. It's not ideal but if you're just using them for an casual track day/practice then it doesn't really matter.

Depending on how uneven the wear is and how much life is left in the tire I will also use tire pressure as a band-aid to save the cost of flipping the tires. For example if the tires are almost corded on the inside and I want to squeeze a few more practice sessions out of them then I will dump the pressures to get the middle and outsides of the tires to take the brunt of the wear. Conversely, if the outsides wore faster then I would up the pressures by a significant amount (I shoot for mid to high 40s hot if they are really bad… like on track driven cars with street alignments). Just be aware that you will have a lot less grip when running such high pressures.

Again this isn't "ideal" and I wouldn't do this if it were a competitive event, but then again I have multiple sets of wheels/tires and wouldn't show up to a completive event on tires that were about to cord

-Matt M.

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 04-09-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:33 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dale3guy
You can rotate them from side to side but that doesn't change which part of the tire is wearing more.
true... I definitely brainfarted there!

Ill blame the lack of sleep

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
Just to be clear- are you talking about rotating or pulling the tires off the wheels to flip them? RE-11 are asymmetrical but I have never had an issue flipping them and running them the "wrong" way. It's not ideal but if you're just using them for an casual track day/practice then it doesn't really matter.

Depending on how uneven the wear is and how much life is left in the tire I will also use tire pressure as a band-aid to save the cost of flipping the tires. For example if the tires are almost corded on the inside and I want to squeeze a few more practice sessions out of them then I will dump the pressures to get the middle and outsides of the tires to take the brunt of the wear. Conversely, if the outsides wore faster then I would up the pressures by a significant amount (I shoot for mid to high 40s hot if they are really bad… like on track driven cars with street alignments). Just be aware that you will have a lot less grip when running such high pressures.

Again this isn't "ideal" and I wouldn't do this if it were a competitive event, but then again I have multiple sets of wheels/tires and wouldn't show up to a completive event on tires that were about to cord

-Matt M.
I run -1.8 deg camber all around, and 32 front psi 30 rear.

the fronts are wearing pretty evenly; the rears are the ones that are looking uneven - Ill try going to 28 psi

Thanks!

Old 04-15-2015, 12:21 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

the fronts are wearing pretty evenly; the rears are the ones that are looking uneven - Ill try going to 28 psi

Thanks!

What is your rear toe setting? You might need a little more toe in to get the rear tires to wear more evenly.

Bill
Old 04-15-2015, 12:25 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Thanks!

That's a lot of rear neg. IMO
Old 04-16-2015, 09:38 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

rear toe is almost zero (.05)

front toe is 0 deg

I went with similar front and rear camber because I wanted to go with the factory setup (they recommend front and rear the same) since my suspension was set up like that (z06 front spring, base rear, zr1 front bar z06 rear).

Im going to be playing with a softer rear swaybar soon and may go to -2.4 or -2.6 camber up front, keep the rear at -1.8 deg camber, and maybe .20 or .25 deg rear toe in.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:10 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just back your rear camber off closer to 1.0 before trying a different bar. That's what I run on my C5 and the wear is perfect on most tracks, but it still wears the inside more on some others. 1.8 is more than I've heard of anyone running for the rear, your tire wear is an indication that it's too much, as is your lacking rear grip.

Get notified of new replies

To rotate rear tires at this point yes or no?

Quick Reply: rotate rear tires at this point yes or no?