Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 Caliper Rebuild Kits - CF Sponsors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 09:22 PM
boony1968
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default C6 Z06 Caliper Rebuild Kits - CF Sponsors?

I bought my Z a couple months ago. Last weekend I changed my pads / rotors and confirmed the car had probably been tracked more than prior owner led on.

The boots on the rear pistons were pretty rough and in the front - completely baked, cracked or gone @ 17k miles. The pistons still move well enough (kinda) but its obvious I need to rebuild or replace these things soon. I am just autocrossing and want to stay stock, so rebuilding is my best option.

Does anyone offer a COMPLETE rebuild kit? I am finding bits and pieces, but no complete rebuild kit with pistons & pins included. I want to strip them bare and replace everything. OR, buy a completely rebuilt set with mine as a core for +/- 5 or $600.

I found a rebuild kit on ebay that's close and cheap, but it's an ebay vendor... That's 50/50 at best and I can't trust that for brakes.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:03 AM
ROBMARZ
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Check this
http://forums.racingbrake.com/showthread.php?t=1022
Old 04-10-2015, 07:19 AM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boony1968
I bought my Z a couple months ago. Last weekend I changed my pads / rotors and confirmed the car had probably been tracked more than prior owner led on.

The boots on the rear pistons were pretty rough and in the front - completely baked, cracked or gone @ 17k miles. The pistons still move well enough (kinda) but its obvious I need to rebuild or replace these things soon. I am just autocrossing and want to stay stock, so rebuilding is my best option.

Does anyone offer a COMPLETE rebuild kit? I am finding bits and pieces, but no complete rebuild kit with pistons & pins included. I want to strip them bare and replace everything. OR, buy a completely rebuilt set with mine as a core for +/- 5 or $600.

I found a rebuild kit on ebay that's close and cheap, but it's an ebay vendor... That's 50/50 at best and I can't trust that for brakes.
DRM makes an excellent stainless piston kit for the C6Z calipers: http://dougrippie.com/products/drm-s...l-pistons-c6z/
Old 04-10-2015, 10:02 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 269 Likes on 224 Posts

Rock auto
Old 04-12-2015, 05:58 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 363 Likes on 285 Posts

I would get a OEM GM kit and stay away form aftermarket rebuild kits.

In our experience they fit better and the rubber seals are the same.

This is mostly for Subaru Brembo's - but the aftermarket kits were often enough hard to install and sometimes messed up the pedal feel.

For a track car - worth it.

Piston's might not be serviceable from GM's standpoint but I think DRM makes them in SS which is an advantage on track anyway.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:29 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,964 Likes on 5,350 Posts

Be very careful what you order. The overhaul kit for the Z06/GS Caliper is more than $50.. On GM Parts Direct and other GM parts stores they list it in the $30 range but when you read the description it is the same part number (19208030) as the non Z06 brake caliper. The correct number for the front seal kit is 19121808 and it runs about $70. The rear caliper kit is part number 19121810 and the price is around $90.

The GM kits will come with small packages of lubricant to make it easier when installing the pistons past the new seals.

If you decide to spend some time cleaning the pistons you have a high probability of being able to get the deposits off them and be able to reuse them with new seals.

There are a few places that have just the seals. Zeckhausen Racing sells the front seal kit at a reasonable price. You might find it at a lower price but you will have to search. When replacing the seals make sure you order the lubricant for the seals. Zeckhausen has an 8 oz bottle of Centric lubricant. If you don't use the lubricant you can ruin the seals. The jerks behind the counter at auto parts stores will not know what you are talking about since they haven't sold caliper rebuild kits since before those kids were born. The lubricant isn't the same stuff you use on caliper slides.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 Caliper Rebuild Kits - CF Sponsors?

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 Caliper Rebuild Kits - CF Sponsors?