Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wilwood Superlite 6R brake kit upgrade on stock C5/Z06 wheels worth it?

Old 04-11-2015, 12:54 AM
SDLS1Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Wilwood Superlite 6R brake kit upgrade on stock C5/Z06 wheels worth it?

I am considering upgrading my OEM C5 coupe brakes to a Wilwood Superlite 6R brake kit. I am running OEM Z06 wheels. I know this brake kit will fit under the 17 in front wheels. But since the pads and rotors are largely the same size, will the brake kit actually improve my braking?

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:05 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by SDLS1Rider
I am considering upgrading my OEM C5 coupe brakes to a Wilwood Superlite 6R brake kit. I am running OEM Z06 wheels. I know this brake kit will fit under the 17 in front wheels. But since the pads and rotors are largely the same size, will the brake kit actually improve my braking?

Thanks for the help.
TceTodd is the guy you want to talk to about brakes. I'm not sure which kit that is. I run the older kit the aeros replaced and I'm happy. I race on them.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:48 PM
SDLS1Rider
Le Mans Master

He responded to a thread I posted in the C5 Z06 discussion forum. He said there would be some benefits but didn't say if it would be overall better exactly.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:13 AM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Here's a better question..... What brake issues are trying to solve? Are you getting fade? Are you going through track pads at a fast rate? Give us some insight as to your use for the car and goals as a driver. HDPE? Autocross?
Old 04-12-2015, 10:31 AM
SDLS1Rider
Le Mans Master

To be perfectly honest I don't really have any issues. I have a 600 rwhp corvette and I like to canyon carve. I don't really push the care but I would like to know that the brakes won't let me down if I need them. These cars do feel heavy when they are going into corners. I would like something that the car feel more grounded and controlable when I am hitting the brakes. I know some people who have felt a marked improvement when upgrading to C6Z06 brakes. But they had the bigger wheels also.

I just want to know if the Wilwood kit for 17 in. wheels will be an improve ment or a wash? I don't mind spending money, but I don't want to spend money simply to spend money.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:07 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 360 Likes on 283 Posts

To be perfectly honest I don't really have any issues. I have a 600 rwhp corvette and I like to canyon carve. I don't really push the care but I would like to know that the brakes won't let me down if I need them. These cars do feel heavy when they are going into corners. I would like something that the car feel more grounded and controlable when I am hitting the brakes. I know some people who have felt a marked improvement when upgrading to C6Z06 brakes. But they had the bigger wheels also.

I just want to know if the Wilwood kit for 17 in. wheels will be an improve ment or a wash? I don't mind spending money, but I don't want to spend money simply to spend money.
What kind of pads have you been running? Do you track the car or just street?
Old 04-12-2015, 03:18 PM
SDLS1Rider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
What kind of pads have you been running? Do you track the car or just street?
Hawk HP Plus, stainless steel lines and Motul 600 fluid. I've never been to a track in this car, just canyon carving so far.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:43 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Hawk HP Plus, stainless steel lines and Motul 600 fluid. I've never been to a track in this car, just canyon carving so far.

A long downhill session with grippy tires and repeated hard braking is not that far off track use.

When new - on track the stock brakes are good. The problem is that they don't stay new long. The pads taper, the rotors crack, and the calipers spread and that all leads to a long pedal. That's the result of floating calipers with non-differential piston sizes on a marginally undersized rotor.

A BBK can easily improve the life of the parts - and pedal feel will improve some and won't deteriorate nearly as fast. You'll still need a better pad though. HP+ are only good for so long before they overheat. Is the wear fast and/or do you see any rotor grooving?

If you have wheel clearance we have some HUGE Stoptech kits on sale at not much more than the WW kits.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:57 PM
SDLS1Rider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
A long downhill session with grippy tires and repeated hard braking is not that far off track use.

When new - on track the stock brakes are good. The problem is that they don't stay new long. The pads taper, the rotors crack, and the calipers spread and that all leads to a long pedal. That's the result of floating calipers with non-differential piston sizes on a marginally undersized rotor.

A BBK can easily improve the life of the parts - and pedal feel will improve some and won't deteriorate nearly as fast. You'll still need a better pad though. HP+ are only good for so long before they overheat. Is the wear fast and/or do you see any rotor grooving?

If you have wheel clearance we have some HUGE Stoptech kits on sale at not much more than the WW kits.
I've actually gotten quite a bit of use out of my brake pads. I recently replac ed the rotors because they had developed an edge/lip. The pads still had a lot left on them. I only drive hard once a month at the most.

But we do have mountains with our canyons and the down hils can get interesting. I don't know if you've ever heard of Palomar Mountain or Mesa Grande here in San Diego county. I would say they rival Mullholland Drive in LA (But I wouldn't know personally, never been there).

So my origianl question stand, would a BBK on a stock C5 wheel improve the braking or am I just spending money friviosly.

I have 17 in wheels up front.

BTW, are STOPTECH better than Wilwoods? I really wouldn't know.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:12 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

If your stock brakes have not given you any problems, then you will not see any improvement from a bbk. Any improvement will be from more aggressive pads.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:13 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by hungryhippo
If your stock brakes have not given you any problems, then you will not see any improvement from a bbk. Any improvement will be from more aggressive pads.
Pretty much my next statement- although better pedal feel can be quite worthwhile.

And Stoptech vs WW - there are too many varieties of each to make a blanket statement as to one being better.

Get notified of new replies

To Wilwood Superlite 6R brake kit upgrade on stock C5/Z06 wheels worth it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wilwood Superlite 6R brake kit upgrade on stock C5/Z06 wheels worth it?