Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6Z vs C7 Non Z

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 09:46 AM
ukrbmw
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C6Z vs C7 Non Z

Contemplating picking up another car for fun. Mild track duty and drive to work on a nice day. Seems late model C6Z cars are starting to hit mid 40s and 2014 C7 base cars are in about the same range. So what's a better car? Are C7 improvements enough to pass on the last Z?
Old 04-12-2015, 09:42 AM
Z06Tracker
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrbmw
Contemplating picking up another car for fun. Mild track duty and drive to work on a nice day. Seems late model C6Z cars are starting to hit mid 40s and 2014 C7 base cars are in about the same range. So what's a better car? Are C7 improvements enough to pass on the last Z?
I don't know the answer to your question, but I really like the C6Z. And, low key track days are a lot of fun!
Old 04-12-2015, 10:08 AM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Hmmmmm.... That's a tough one! I just put myself in that position and had to think long and hard. I think given the two choices you have weigh the value of a brand new car with a warranty and zero miles to rolling the dice on a much more powerful and faster animal.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:10 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts

Seeing how this is the autox/rr section, the C6Z gets my vote for getting around a circuit faster. It's lighter and makes more power and I believe packs more rubber. The fact that the LT1 matches the LS7's low end is irrelevant, because if you're driving to be fast you're not going to lug the motor low enough to allow the LT1 to match or exceed the LS7's ability anywhere.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:42 PM
ukrbmw
Racer

Thanks guys and Mo!

I know C6Z is an animal - have driven one and had numerous students in them. They are so reasonable these days. Only thing stopping me is the reviews on the new C7 - people are just raving about them. And base car for 45K with a 4-5K set of shocks and some brakes seems to be a wicked combination.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:53 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks guys and Mo!

I know C6Z is an animal - have driven one and had numerous students in them. They are so reasonable these days. Only thing stopping me is the reviews on the new C7 - people are just raving about them. And base car for 45K with a 4-5K set of shocks and some brakes seems to be a wicked combination.
Do a little more reading, ther OTHER thing that should be stopping you is the fragile nature of the LS7 heads. The LS7 in the C6Z drops valves and when a valve drops, it shatters the piston, the rod is then loose and blasts a hole in the block. Even reworked heads are coming up with loose valve guides after 5-10K miles. Maybe it is the 1.8:1 rocker ratio; nobody has a definitive answer. Do a search in the C6Z forum, you'll find countless examples. I would love a C6Z for street and light track duty but the thought of replacing an entire LS7 longblock is just too much risk. The LT4 is similar enough to the LS3 that I would track it and I would also be ready to dry-sump it for serious track duty.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:49 AM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Mild track duty and drive to work? C7 every day and twice on Sunday. Track only car showing up on a trailer? C6Z but only barely. Have you driven the C7? I feel like if you'd had you wouldn't be contemplating this decision.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:09 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,502 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Two VERY different cars. One is a track ready monster and is MUCH faster. A C6 Z is nearly as fast around s track as a C7 Z. The C7 base has a bit more toys, a bit nicer interior, a bit less space, and a bunch more depreciation to get through.

I'd have the Z and use the money saved on depreciation to have the heads looked at to ensure I don't have the valve issue. Let's keep in mind, it was a fairly rare issue, and can be totally solved and then some for a few grand.

Drive both, you'll figure it out from there.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:00 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryTX
Do a little more reading, ther OTHER thing that should be stopping you is the fragile nature of the LS7 heads. The LS7 in the C6Z drops valves and when a valve drops, it shatters the piston, the rod is then loose and blasts a hole in the block. Even reworked heads are coming up with loose valve guides after 5-10K miles. Maybe it is the 1.8:1 rocker ratio; nobody has a definitive answer. Do a search in the C6Z forum, you'll find countless examples. I would love a C6Z for street and light track duty but the thought of replacing an entire LS7 longblock is just too much risk. The LT4 is similar enough to the LS3 that I would track it and I would also be ready to dry-sump it for serious track duty.
I am on this C6 Z06 forum every night and have only read of one set of reworked heads that got back out of spec. Have you read of more??

I have not heard of any Z with reworked heads dropping a valve.

To answer the OP I would take a Z but I am biased. Good luck which ever way you go.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:49 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Maybe drive a C7 then do you contemplating? Congratulations for being in such a cool position!
Old 04-14-2015, 10:07 AM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
Mild track duty and drive to work? C7 every day and twice on Sunday. Track only car showing up on a trailer? C6Z but only barely. Have you driven the C7? I feel like if you'd had you wouldn't be contemplating this decision.
This. Completely.

Just like the C6 was a step up over the C5 in fit, finish and refinement. The C7 is that much better. For a purely all out track toy. I wouldn't even do a C6, I'd go C5. Hence my Pikes Peak car being a C5.

But for something that will see street time. The C7 is the hands down winner.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:16 AM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

i have a C6Z and its great all around car, i drive mine daily, drove my cousins C7 ( he is spoiled, has C5Z, C6Z06, 08 M3 ) and the C7 is hands down better car out of all, for some reason i just luv the way it drives
Old 04-14-2015, 10:38 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Alex,

You and I have had this discussion multiple times over the past couple of years. I am surprised you are overlooking the third option: C6 Grand Sport. Our 2012 Centennial with Sport and Chrome packages is, to me, the ultimate "Grand Touring" car capable of track days. Looks great, targa top for sunny days, plenty of rubber under the Z06 fenders, plenty of power with headers, Z06 brake package (although I despise padlets), magnaride for cruising comfort, stands out in the parking lot, etc. come by and take ours for a spin to refresh your memory. I'll sell it to you if you really like it, ha!

You and I both know that you will always have a caged Racecar in your garage. So just get whichever street Vette will make you happier and don't worry about whether or not it is better at tracking?
Old 04-14-2015, 09:36 PM
ukrbmw
Racer

Thanks everybody. I'm going to try a C7 to see what it's like and keep an eye out on the sale ads.

Kevin - I can't have the same car as you. You already know how that would end up!
Old 04-14-2015, 10:23 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks everybody. I'm going to try a C7 to see what it's like and keep an eye out on the sale ads.

Kevin - I can't have the same car as you. You already know how that would end up!
Our GS will never see another track day. Now that I injured my clutch knee again, I challenge you to buy an ST2 C5 and take a stab at me. You might have a chance. Poke poke.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:02 AM
ukrbmw
Racer

Oh man, now I can't get an ST2 car cause if I win you'll have an excuse. Time to wait for you to heal....

Get notified of new replies

To C6Z vs C7 Non Z

Quick Reply: C6Z vs C7 Non Z