Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil, Tranny and Diff Coolers: LS6

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 10:26 AM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Oil, Tranny and Diff Coolers: LS6

We are building custom coolers for the above vital fluids for my pikes peak build.

There are a myriad of heat exchangers out there. Not point in buying one that does not have the capabilities we need. Any clue on what the minimum BTU rating should be? Or maybe size?

For the tranny and diff we will be running electric pump(s). Seems to be they range from $50 to "way too much". What does everyone recommend?

And what about the engine oil cooler? Does it already have a mechanical pump from the OEM? Or do we need to run an additional electric pump for that?

Lastly, the tranny and diff coolers will be mounted in the rear of the vehicle with limited air flow. Would it be necessary to put some small fans on them for them to do their job?

Thanks!

Jeremy Foley
Old 04-14-2015, 11:20 AM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The reason everybody uses the way too much electric money pumps is they are really the only ones that will hold up to the hot oil temps they see. Looking at your avatar you have a C5 Z06, you can do what DRM does with their trans/diff coolers and mounts them in place of the rear brake cooling ducts (or you could buy their kit). You don't need a fans, you are taking advantage of the airflow that is already designed to go through the rear inlet.

For engine oil, you can get an adapter that runs off the oil filter block going to -AN lines. Several vendors sell them, DRM, Lingenfelter, etc. The stock pump should do you fine, but you might want to shim the oil pressure relief spring when adding the cooler in. What you do want to make sure of is that you have big enough lines and a good flowing cooler; most run -10AN. You don't wan to create a restriction in your oiling system by running a cooler and lines that can't keep up with flow. The other option is to run a radiator/EOC combo from DeWitts or Ron Davis. DeWitts sells a modified C6 supply line that works ion the C5 and includes the factory oil pressure bypass to keep oil moving in the engine and cooler.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:57 AM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Originally Posted by Bad Karma
The reason everybody uses the way too much electric money pumps is they are really the only ones that will hold up to the hot oil temps they see. Looking at your avatar you have a C5 Z06, you can do what DRM does with their trans/diff coolers and mounts them in place of the rear brake cooling ducts (or you could buy their kit). You don't need a fans, you are taking advantage of the airflow that is already designed to go through the rear inlet.

For engine oil, you can get an adapter that runs off the oil filter block going to -AN lines. Several vendors sell them, DRM, Lingenfelter, etc. The stock pump should do you fine, but you might want to shim the oil pressure relief spring when adding the cooler in. What you do want to make sure of is that you have big enough lines and a good flowing cooler; most run -10AN. You don't wan to create a restriction in your oiling system by running a cooler and lines that can't keep up with flow. The other option is to run a radiator/EOC combo from DeWitts or Ron Davis. DeWitts sells a modified C6 supply line that works ion the C5 and includes the factory oil pressure bypass to keep oil moving in the engine and cooler.
Thanks for the quick response. Already have a custom radiator so your last suggestion won't work. The rear fenders and side skirts are going to modified in a way that the factory ducts will not be utilized.

Thanks for the tip on EOC. So are there no alternatives to the super expensive pumps?
Old 04-14-2015, 11:59 AM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Originally Posted by ratt_finkel
Thanks for the tip on EOC. So are there no alternatives to the super expensive pumps?
Nothing that I know of; if it's out there, I'd love to know about it too!
Old 04-14-2015, 05:06 PM
Paul Schmidt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So are there no alternatives to the super expensive pumps?
You can always look into LG's transmission and differential pump. After review, that set up might change your view on what super expensive means to you. It's hands down a deluxe system.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:44 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Why do you need a trans or diff pump for a 10-15 minute run up the mountain?

From my experience, you don't need either for that short period of time.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:22 PM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
Why do you need a trans or diff pump for a 10-15 minute run up the mountain?

From my experience, you don't need either for that short period of time.
Same reason I need a giant radiator with ducting and venting to keep the water cool. Everything gets hot on the mountain

P.S. This car will see normal track events too when completed. But the mountain is harder on cars than most people realize.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:23 PM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt
You can always look into LG's transmission and differential pump. After review, that set up might change your view on what super expensive means to you. It's hands down a deluxe system.
Yes, that is quite the system. I never asked Lou for one. Maybe he'll throw it in the pile
Old 04-14-2015, 06:50 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with the ron davis radiator from phoenix racing that has integrated engine and trans oil coolers (with a pump for the trans cooler located under the right rear quarter panel). According to phoenix, the trans cooler alone is sufficient to keep both the trans and diff cool. To be honest I haven't really tested it yet but that is what they run on their race cars so I figured it is good enough for me. Pricing was not bad for the whole system.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:19 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Makes sense with the thin air and whatnot.

My EOC is a kit from PCMforLess and my trans cooler is a kit from Doug Rippie Motorsports. Along with my DeWitts radiator, my ST2/ST3 car stays cool in all conditions... finally.

-Kevin
Old 04-15-2015, 08:23 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Don't reinvent the wheel and spend extra time and money. DRM makes complete kits for tranny, diff and engine oil cooling. They are race proven and from personal usage, I can say they work !
Old 04-16-2015, 11:10 AM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Don't reinvent the wheel and spend extra time and money. DRM makes complete kits for tranny, diff and engine oil cooling. They are race proven and from personal usage, I can say they work !
The DRM stuff looks great. As I mentioned I already have a custom radiator.

To be honest, I think the DRM package is a little over priced. And designed for people who want an easy solution. We have the capability of doing the fab work. Just need the right components
Old 04-16-2015, 03:58 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

To be honest, I think the DRM package is a little over priced. And designed for people who want an easy solution. We have the capability of doing the fab work. Just need the right components
They have to make some money off of putting the kit together. I agree it's not that hard to do yourself, and I'm all for custom fab, half the fun is in building it... well maybe a third the fun, driving is a blast. When you price out the cost of the parts in the kit, you'll be surprised how high the cost actually adds up to.

Here's a couple quality name brand oil cooler for you to use:
http://www.setrabusa.com/products/oi...ine/index.html
http://www.fluidyne.com/automobile-oil-coolers.html
Old 05-15-2015, 12:12 AM
heavyzee
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

any feedback on the 12v one from pegasus racing? Part 1239
Old 05-15-2015, 08:10 AM
miracle_whip4130
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by heavyzee
any feedback on the 12v one from pegasus racing? Part 1239
If you look at the thumbnail pics of the trans and diff coolers installed on a car on the DRM website, it almost looks like that's the pump they use in the kit. You can see the last part of the sticker on the side of the pump says "...ton". The continuous operating temp on those pumps is a bit low for racing though.....hopefully their published max. temps have been de-rated a bit.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:02 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Randy's a good guy and I'm 100% sure he'd work with you if you don't need the full kit. There's cost in there for cutting/assembling lines and what-not, so if you just need the pumps and fittings I'm sure he'd do that, just give him a call

ETA: did they add a cooling port aimed at the input shaft when your trans was built? That tends to be the most beneficial are for cooling since the bearing there can starve for oil without it.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:08 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We have had great luck with the electric pumps with the Viton seals. Last week I got a call from someone replacing one after 10 years and 20k track miles. That pump paid for itself. About 8 months ago we had one leak out of the box, the next day air sucked but it made in time for his event. That was the first time anything like that ever happened.

If you want a super nice electric pump look at the Weldons. They are a very nice setup. Pro racing stuff!!!!!

Randy
BTW I would cut that upper radiator neck off and turn it 180 degrees Then stick it back on

Get notified of new replies

To Oil, Tranny and Diff Coolers: LS6

Old 05-19-2015, 07:56 AM
miracle_whip4130
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
BTW I would cut that upper radiator neck off and turn it 180 degrees Then stick it back on
I was also wondering about that....are we missing something here or was that some sort of miscommunication?
Old 05-19-2015, 08:08 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by miracle_whip4130
I was also wondering about that....are we missing something here or was that some sort of miscommunication?
Probably made to be angled backward in the stock position but is now being tipped forward so the inlet is at the wrong angle now.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:21 AM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Yes, the neck is oriented wrong. It will be taken care of.

Quick Reply: Oil, Tranny and Diff Coolers: LS6