Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stoptech vs AP Racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 05:18 PM
herbojfl
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stoptech vs AP Racing

Need to upgrade the brakes on my 2013 Z06 for track duty. Any comments on Stoptech vs AP Racing Big Brake kits? Car is stock but will have LG coilovers soon. Running street tires on stock 18/19" spider wheels
Old 04-14-2015, 06:23 PM
jwebsta32
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the kit that I have from Essex parts (a forum vendor and great guy to talk to). I only run the fronts with upgraded pads in the rear and I absolutely love it. I also run R6's on CCW's with LG coils. Its nice piece of mind when going down the back straight at the GLen and you know you are going to be able to slow down at the right time

Last edited by jwebsta32; 04-14-2015 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:42 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jwebsta32
This is the kit that I hate from Essex parts (a forum vendor and great guy to talk to). I only run the fronts with upgraded pads in the rear and I absolutely love it. I also run R6's on CCW's with LG coils. Its nice piece of mind when going down the back straight at the GLen and you know you are going to be able to slow down at the right time
Pretty sure you mean kit that you "have"!

Another vote for AP and Essex.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:46 PM
jwebsta32
Racer

Haha, yes, I do LOVE it and definitely dont hate it. I dont know how many events you are going to be doing a year, but these kits are great. Super fast pad change and I believe a wider range of pads also.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:55 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

+ 1 for the AP's Good modulation and lots of pad choices. I like the Ferrodo's front and XP10's for the rear
Old 04-15-2015, 08:22 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

No wrong decision here - both kits are good. I personally have the AP Endurance BBK and love it. But I also know many guys use the StopTech ST60 and ST40 and love them.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:02 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I have the AP T1 kit (12.8") and stock rear calipers on my C5 Z and find myself wanting more brakes.

My friend has a ST60-40 kits on his C6 Z making 540whp and loves it.

My other buddy has a ST40 kit on his '11 M3 and I've driven it and it brakes very well.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:34 AM
Vettechris996
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an ST60/ST40 kit on my C5Z and I LOVE it. I don't think you can go wrong either way but they get my vote!
Old 04-15-2015, 09:57 AM
red1vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the ST60/ST40 and i love them, but both kits are VERY nice so either way you go i think you will be fine.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:19 AM
Fulton 1
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Here is a pretty thorough summary that Jeff posted up last year.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:52 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

From the link above...here's my take:

I was actually the sales manager at StopTech for roughly five years before taking on my current role at Essex/AP Racing. While at ST I was also involved in just about every part of the process of bringing their products to the market (production, product mgmt., component sourcing, etc.). I doubt there is anyone more uniquely qualified to compare their system to ours. Below is a comparison of the components in our kit vs. those in the StopTech setups, but this info also applies in the same manner to other high performance street big brake kits (painted calipers, aluminum pistons, dust boots, drilled discs, etc.) currently on the market.

Here's the breakdown as I see it comparing our Essex Designed AP Racing Competition Big Brake Kit vs. the StopTech six piston BBK with 14" (355x32mm) discs.

Calipers
Essex version of the AP Racing CP5060 six piston vs. StopTech ST-60 six piston

Anti-knockback springs
AP Racing has them, StopTech does not. People severely underestimate how valuable these springs are. After going through S turns, you'll have a much lower pucker factor in the next brake zone with the AKB springs installed.

Piston type
StopTech= cast aluminum
AP= machined stainless steel, domed back, ventilated
Stainless steel is far superior at keeping heat out of your brake fluid vs. aluminum. The domed back on the AP pistons adds substantial stiffness, which can be felt as a firmer pedal. The ventilation on the piston edges allows for more cooling air circulation. All of these features add up to greater heat rejection around the piston area, ultimately leading to a lower chance of brake fluid boiling and resulting fade.

Weight
StopTech ST-60 is 8.9 lbs.
Our version of the AP Racing CP5060 weighs 6.2 lbs. without pads...approximately 3 lbs. lighter per side than the StopTech ST-60.

Dust Boots
StopTech is a street caliper, and as such uses dust boots. The AP CP5060 has none. If you've ever run dust boots on the track, you'll find that they burn up and cause a big mess almost instantly. Their only value is if you're driving on winter or debris/dirty roads. As soon as they go on track they essentially lose all value.

Seals
Both calipers have quality, high temperature seals.

Pad choice/cost/size
The ST-60 and AP Racing CP5060 use the same basic shape (it was originally an AP Racing shape, implemented many years ago. The D54 radial depth version we use in the CP5060 has an additional 3 mm of surface area along the lower edge, giving a bit more pad volume vs. the D51 pads in the ST-60. Pricing on the two pad shapes is the same.

Stainless Steel hardware

Both calipers have quality stainless steel hardware.

Footprint/size
In addition to weighing much less, the CP5060 has a smaller footprint and tends to offer superior wheel fitment.

Finish
StopTech= painted. Look pretty, but will not look as good after hard use. Red turns maroon/brown, etc. Paint and powdercoat tend to color shift dramatically at track temps. If you're driving through road salt however, they will be better protected than anodized.

AP Racing= anodized. Look 'racier' (like what you see on full-blown race cars like the factory Corvette race cars below) and do not color shift nearly as much. I tell people that they go from grey to ugly grey.

Bracket
Both have high quality anodized aluminum brackets and aircraft quality hardware.

Rebuild Service
Essex offers a lifetime professional reconditioning service. For a $150/caliper you can send your calipers to Essex and have them rebuilt by the same techs who service calipers for NASCAR Sprint Cup and ALMS teams. StopTech can rebuild I believe, but I'm not sure how formalized their procedures, policies, and prices are at this time.

Discs

Design
Discs from both manufacturers are quality castings that are crack resistant and will last a long time under heavy track use. That said, the AP Racing discs are a heavy duty 72 vane internal construction, and patented J hook face slot are the #1 choice at the elite level of motorsports (NASCAR, ALMS, DTM, Super GT, etc.). The StopTech's are only a 48 vane disc with a conventional slot pattern.

Disc hats
Both have a quality design and are made from high grade, anodized aluminum. Both are optimized for weight and airflow.

Weight
Essex/AP Racing hat/disc=17.6 lbs.
StopTech hat/disc= 18.6 lbs.

When you combine the caliper and disc weights, our system weighs 4-5 lbs. less per side vs. StopTech or 10 more lbs. off the nose of the car.

Spare Disc Price
Even though the AP discs offer far more features, pricing is almost the same as StopTech's recently increased price per disc. Replacement iron prices per disc are as follows:

$359 Essex/AP Racing Sprint Kit (355x32mm)
$335 for the StopTech 355x32

Other Items

Wheel Fitment
I believe our Essex Comp kits sit inboard of the StopTech setup a bit, offering superior clearance. I'd need to check to find the specific difference.

Brake Lines
Both systems came with a high quality set of brake lines. The Spiegler lines in our setup use all stainless steel fittings made in Switzerland (assembled and tested in Ohio). The fittings on the ST lines are not quite to the same spec.

StopTech Trophy Kit
The other option to go with for a StopTech six piston on a 14" disc would be their Trophy system. The differences in that system vs. their standard setup are: Caliper weighs about a pound less than the standard ST-60 roughly 7.9 lbs...it has more material removed during the machining process, caliper is anodized, available with no dust boots, washers can be flipped on discs to offer more float, disc hats are anodized. AKB springs are available at an additional charge.

Overall Kit Prices

StopTech ST-60 Trophy= $4145
Essex Designed AP Racing Competition Big Brake Kit= $3,599
StopTech ST-60 BBK= $2795

Our complete kit pricing falls between the two StopTech kits with similar sized components. For the first time ever, our Endurance Kit is currently on sale for $3199 until the end of April!

Racing Pedigree and Brand Equity

While I'm far from a brand snob, I'd say it's safe to say that AP Racing gets the nod in terms of brand equity, racing heritage, and pedigree. StopTech has had good success in the lower ranks of racing (World Challenge, Grand Am, etc.), but AP dominates at the elite level. Virtually all of the factory BMW race cars use AP Racing (as noted earlier in this thread), DTM, etc. Not to mention AP dominates many of the 'money-no-object' markets when teams have a brake choice (non-spec) such as NASCAR Sprint Cup, Super GT, ALMS etc. (which btw are extraordinarily tough on brakes, even though they're typically going in a circle!).

The C5.R, C6.R, C7.R factory Corvette race cars and Corvette Daytona Prototypes have all run/are running AP Racing brakes for a reason. We are using technology from those programs and bringing them to the average enthusiast. It's rather tough to argue with the success these cars have seen on the track using AP Racing brakes.

Which Kit to Choose?
Compared to the ST Trophy kit, I'd call it a no-contest. The Trophy Kits are modified street components designed to work better on track. They have more 'race-like' features, but they are still limited in their capacity by the aluminum pistons, a low disc vane count, and heavier weight vs. our purpose built race caliper and disc. The Trophy base price is over $500 more than our kit, and the specification on the components aren't as high as they are in our kit. As such, I don't expect the components will last quite as long at track temperature vs. the ones in our kit (pads, discs, etc.). I believe our system is a significantly better value.

While our system is a bit more expensive than the standard StopTech ST-60 kit, you're getting a lot more technology for your money. If you peruse the list above, you'll see that every component in our kit meets or exceeds their specification, and is more closely aligned with professional-level race components. That is intentional. When you factor in the fact that the higher specification components will need fewer replacements, the running costs over a year or two will balance out quickly, essentially negating the initial price difference. You'll also be saving about 4-5 lbs. unsprung weight per front corner with our kit!

Summary
Ultimately both companies make a great product. I had an ST-60/ST-40 14" BBK on my Z06 while I worked at StopTech (and an ST-40 kit on my 350Z). Both were solid products made by good people. I'm also still friends with a number of their employees (since I hired and trained most of their current sales staff). When we put our Essex Competition Kits together however, I tried to look at every piece of the StopTech system and produce something that eclipsed its performance, all while keeping the costs at a level that the average enthusiast could afford. My past employment there put me in a perfect position to accomplish this task, and I believe we have succeeded...more technology borrowed from pro racing, higher specification, lower running costs, better fitment, etc. I believe what we're doing is taking things to the next level for the average club racer, HPDE student, and autoX'r, and giving them access to previously unobtainable technology and performance.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:00 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

Okay...to make the decision even tougher for you OP ...we also have our AP Racing Factory BBK, which is on a very deep Tax Day sale right now at $2699. These kits have a specification that is a little closer to a standard StopTech in terms of the actual technology...aluminum pistons with dust boots, no AKB springs, 48 vane discs, and similar weight. That said, it features a larger 362mm disc, and I definitely prefer the AP Racing six pistons on all fronts. It's a new design that is quite stiff, and I think it looks the business as well! You can see the details on the kit and the sale in this thread.

Last but not least, we have our Pro5000R Radi-CAL kits coming out later this year. They're going to be a bit more money, but offer the latest bleeding-edge, patented technology from AP Racing. They're practically indistinguishable from what the C7.R's run currently, and you won't find anything else like them at any price. You can see details in this thread.

Good luck in your choice, and feel free to contact me for guidance at any time. Thanks.

Last edited by JRitt@essex; 04-15-2015 at 03:15 PM. Reason: added pics

Get notified of new replies

To Stoptech vs AP Racing

Quick Reply: Stoptech vs AP Racing