Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

custom rollcage

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 09:51 PM
jason1281art
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom rollcage

Thought yall might like to know that Racefab in Rusk Texas has their roll cages on sale right now for $2,200 installed this one they put in a C4 looks pretty sweet!

Old 04-14-2015, 10:03 PM
Xian
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Curious... what's the deal with the wet noodle design to the main hoop diagonal?
Old 04-14-2015, 10:16 PM
jason1281art
3rd Gear

it creates another hoop over the drivers seat, clearance for the seat as well as a larger weld area.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:27 PM
Xian
Racer

Just seems like it won't channel rollover forces from above the driver to the lower, passenger side node like it would if it were straight.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:40 PM
jason1281art
3rd Gear

That would depend on the way the load during impact was applied. They build sports racers that have a single bend hoop over the driver much like in open wheel racing. Here they have just created the same into a full width roll bar giving the driver more protection as I see it. Like two hoops in one.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:28 AM
Xian
Racer

Originally Posted by jason1281art
That would depend on the way the load during impact was applied. They build sports racers that have a single bend hoop over the driver much like in open wheel racing. Here they have just created the same into a full width roll bar giving the driver more protection as I see it. Like two hoops in one.
If the "second hoop" diagonal continued (more or less) straight down past the harness bar, I'd be inclined to agree that there's more protection since it would be channeling the forces in compression along the axis of the tubing . As it is, the diagonal's load will hit the harness bar with a bending force and not much in the way of support below it since the second half of the diagonal goes off at a pretty steep lateral angle.

BTW, is this your cage or just a pic you ran across on their FB page? I wonder if this design would make it past SCCA/NASA tech?

Christian
Old 04-15-2015, 04:12 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Xian
If the "second hoop" diagonal continued (more or less) straight down past the harness bar, I'd be inclined to agree that there's more protection since it would be channeling the forces in compression along the axis of the tubing . As it is, the diagonal's load will hit the harness bar with a bending force and not much in the way of support below it since the second half of the diagonal goes off at a pretty steep lateral angle.

BTW, is this your cage or just a pic you ran across on their FB page? I wonder if this design would make it past SCCA/NASA tech?

Christian
I agree that the 'diagonal' bar would not do anything, as it is not connected to the nodes, so it serves no purpose in distributing load across the cage. This would be one of the reasons why the roll cage would not pass the NASA tech (and probably SCCA tech), as they require a diagonal bar to be connected to the main hoop on both sides.

The door bars are also not very functional, as they don't connect the hoops. Would they help in case you get hit from the side... probably, but won't be as effective. At least they are anchored to the frame.

I am not a structural engineer, but recently did have a cage done and learned a lot about what is required and what works. And this one does not follow the right recipe, sorry to have to say that.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:50 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The S hoop and the door bars compromise this cage quite a bit, not sure why a cage builder would do this unless the client requested it. More work and not as structurally sound.

Looks like stock seats in there which makes me think this cage is for a street car. Nobody would go this far and keep the stock seats in a racecar.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:56 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That 'diagonal' is spooky For NASA SCCA it's supposed to be one piece and straight, with the harness bar split to intercept it. It's for good reason, as that bar is supposed to give the cage much of its strength through triangulation of the main hoop.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:09 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Looking at the engineering/layout, I'm guessing that's why the price is so cheap...you get what you pay for.

Not a chance in hell I would trust that with my life in a roll-over. There's a 50/50 chance it will fail...and probably the ratio is worse than that, but I'm not a structural engineer.

Get notified of new replies

To custom rollcage

Quick Reply: custom rollcage