Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Formula One - Bahrain - TV Schedule (U.S.)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 09:06 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
If you've been paying close attention for the past, say, 20 years, you will have noticed that "stupid" is what the FIA and the teams do. They have mastered the art of "stupid" and are now shooting for the world record.
Sorry, Sorry, it came out in a moment of weakness!
Old 04-20-2015, 10:41 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Sorry, Sorry, it came out in a moment of weakness!

Z//
Old 04-21-2015, 07:22 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Default Honda's F1 Power Unit

For all of you techie types, Autosport and Racer magazines (they share stuff) have an interesting look at Honda's new motor and how it differs:

http://www.racer.com/latest-stories/...rmula-1-engine

Z//
Old 04-21-2015, 08:49 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
For all of you techie types, Autosport and Racer magazines (they share stuff) have an interesting look at Honda's new motor and how it differs:

http://www.racer.com/latest-stories/...rmula-1-engine

Z//
Great aricle, makes more sense of what Alonso saw to make a leap of faith (that and struggling leadership at Ferrari). I'm confident Honda will work the bugs out and Red Bull will protest when McLaren wins 4 in a row...
Old 04-21-2015, 08:56 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Mercedes Formula One boss expects major rule changes for 2017

TEAM PRINCIPALS LOOKING AT BRINGING THE ROAR BACK TO F1

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-...e-changes-2017

Technical changes are coming to Formula One, but no major shake-ups are expected before 2017.

Days ago, Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone told Italian media outlet La Gazzetta dello Sport that his ideal scenario would be to scrap the quiet, expensive and complex turbo V6s and replace them with 1,000-hp V8s.

"The people would return, the show would return, the sponsors would return," Ecclestone said.

Talks with F1 team bosses were held over the weekend in Bahrain, where the issues of changes to the cars were discussed.

Ecclestone, 84, would clearly like to impose his changes as soon as possible, but the realistic aim is for 2017. Ecclestone, meanwhile, accused series front-runner Mercedes and its team principal Toto Wolff of blocking any proposals and "killing" the sport. But Wolff said in Bahrain, "I think the rules are going to get changed for 2017."

Wolff was quoted on F1's official website as saying the talks this past weekend were about making the cars "more spectacular and quicker."

Wolff told Britain media-outlet Sky that the "chassis side and the power unit side" will be tweaked, amid rumors one of the changes could be twin-turbos and a relaxing of the fuel-flow limit, which would also make the engines louder.

Reverting to the old V8 technology, however, is unlikely.

"This (V6) is where the technology of road cars goes, so this is important for car manufacturers. But we can do a lot on the chassis side," said Wolff.

By GMM

Same story, same day......
Old 04-21-2015, 10:41 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
TEAM PRINCIPALS LOOKING AT BRINGING THE ROAR BACK TO F1

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-...e-changes-2017

Same story, same day......
Again.

The cars may be a bit louder but they still won't sound "good". If all I want is louder I can just turn up the volume on the television.

"This (V6) is where the technology of road cars goes, so this is important for car manufacturers. But we can do a lot on the chassis side," said Wolff.
Just which car manufacturers is he referring to? The only auto manufacturers involved in F1 that give a rat's about V6 engines are Merc and Renault. Ferrari does NOT care about it. Why? Because you can't make a V6 sound like a road car Ferrari is supposed to sound. Period. Even the most clueless of bling-wavers aren't going to pay $300k (or $1m) for a Ferrari that uses the stereo to make pretend noises. So, what Wolff is claiming as being "important to car manufacturers" is actually defining clearly just which ONE tail is now wagging the F1 dog.

And it's not too hard to understand why Merc has no problem with the idea of upping the power on these new things to 1000 hp. If Renault can't get the CURRENT units to work, what happens when they REALLY stress the things with an extra 400 hp? Meanwhile, Merc's engineers are back home *already* doing the first (third?) drafts of the 2017 units...

You blew it, Bernie. You gave away the store.

Z//
Old 04-21-2015, 12:29 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

perhaps it's time for F1 to look into stock blocks
Old 04-21-2015, 06:48 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm not sure if a week passes that I don't read something somewhere about another gimmick to build market share. I'm fine with the sights, the sounds and the racing but tired of the BS. Maybe it's time for me to quit reading and listening to everything and just watch the races.

On positive note in Moto GP there is some excitement as Valentino Rossi has more than risen to the challenge of a younger generation. He has adapted his riding style, retained his savvy and leads the points chase (although still very early in the season).
Old 04-21-2015, 07:10 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Maybe it's time for me to quit reading and listening to everything and just watch the races.
I've done that to a certain degree (I'm generally pretty good at my fatalism.) My wife doesn't want to hear any of their nonsense. My best friend doesn't even have cable so he pulls the Skye broadcasts down from the internet and watches the races and practice and qualifying delayed. He doesn't even do that unless he gets a "watch this one" from me

The thing is that a part of the appeal of F1 *is* the soap opera involved. But it didn't used to be about existential issues.

Z//

Quick Reply: Formula One - Bahrain - TV Schedule (U.S.)