Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I disable both airbags 2004 z06

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 11:31 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default How do I disable both airbags 2004 z06

Just taking this to a different thread because I assume each model year is different. Do not tell me how to disable the passenger side, thanks.

How do I shut them both off temporarily for a track/autox event.

Thanks
Old 04-16-2015, 12:09 AM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The passenger bag can be turned off with the ignition key. I think the only way to turn off the driver's bag is remove it. Don't think there is a fuse to pull. If you mess with it be really sure you disconnect the battery, otherwise it could deploy in an embarrassing manner.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:56 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Isn't there an airbag module that can be unplugged to kill both in one fell swoop?
Old 04-16-2015, 10:39 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

***Whatever you do, be sure to disconnect the battery before disabling/enabling the Airbag system or you risk an unintentional deployment.***

The airbag module is right behind/under the HVAC control on the tunnel, a bit of a pain to access if you're looking for a small job. It'd be easier to just remove the airbag from the steering wheel.

That said, the fuse should be behind the carpeted panel in the passenger footwell. Not sure what number but it should say on the fuse block lid.

I've also heard of airbag switch kits that will allow you to disable the system while on-track.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:55 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Pull the airbag fuse. It is Fuse 16 in the Instrument Panel Electrical Center. It is a 15A fuse marked SDM. The Service Manual warns there could be multiple fuses supplying power to the SDM but I can only find the one. After the fuse is pulled or the negative battery terminal is disconnected it takes up to a minute to discharge the reserve power going to the SDM.

There is also a connection from the ALC PRK LP Relay (Relay # 43) to the passenger side air bag switch that goes into a DIM module inside the switch module. I can't see the DIM module schematics but there could be a potential sneak path for current to get through the switch module to the SDM power input line after the SDM fuse. The relay sends power to the A/T Shift Lock Control Solenoid and the Multifunction Turn Signal Lever so it may not be feasible to pull it. However, I think the probability of a sneak path is low based on the part of the circuit I can see and the fact that it could be easily missed by service personnel working on the car.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 04-16-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:30 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Bill you're only talking for the pass bag, right? If you yank the fuse, could power snuck in still fire that pass bag if you turn the thing off in the glove box? Or is it a low probability crapshoot?
Old 04-17-2015, 03:28 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Bill you're only talking for the pass bag, right? If you yank the fuse, could power snuck in still fire that pass bag if you turn the thing off in the glove box? Or is it a low probability crapshoot?
No, I am talking about both air bags. The #16 fuse kills the power to the SDM that controls the air bags. There is another circuit path from relay 43 that goes to the DIM module in the passenger side switch module. The red line in the attached schematic shows the power line coming from fuse 16 to the SDM and to the switch module. The orange line shows the power coming from relay 43 going to the DIM module inside the switch module.

I don't know what that module does or whether voltage could go from it back along the power line from the fuse and thus to the SDM. I sort of doubt it since it would cause a dangerous situation for service people.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To How do I disable both airbags 2004 z06

Quick Reply: How do I disable both airbags 2004 z06