Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting Fire Extinguisher in C4

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 11:52 AM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Mounting Fire Extinguisher in C4

I track my 1993 C4 coupe, and my next event requires a fire extinguisher.
I do not have a roll bar to mount to.

I already have a bracket (not yet installed) that mounts to the seat rails, then turns 90 degrees upward so that the mounting plate sits flush with the front of the seat. This will put the fire extinguisher behind my calf, in the bend of my knee (or the passenger's if I choose that seat).

But I am considering an alternate location. Instead of mounting it to the seat front, I am thinking of mounting it onto the top of the wall / bulkhead that is immediately behind the seats. I envision the brackets that would have been bolted to the seat frame being located pointed vertically down toward the floor and being screwed into the wall. Then the larger plate that the FE mounts to would be positioned horizontally and flat against the rear storage deck (obstructing opening of the small storage hatch behind the passenger seat).

I have not stripped the carpet to see what is there to mount to. I think there is a concealed storage area behind the drivers seat that contains some important electronics. Is it possible to safely drill into the bulkhead there? Can I screw the mount to the bulkhead, or should I penetrate it completely and use a nut and bolt?

Any photos or tips would be appreciated.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:18 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm pretty sure that is just fiberglass, you will need to go all the way through with a nut/bolt if that's where you want to mount it. If you do go there I would also consider backing plates to spread the lead and weight of the fire extinguisher.

Check the rules before you do this. I've heard some are written that the extinguisher must be within reach of the driver while in the car.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:46 AM
GALT4
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mounted mine in my 96 with two hose clamps to bottom front rail on passenger seat. Very secure and reachable.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:52 AM
GALT4
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a pic. Hard to see but two hose clamps on extinguisher bracket. I had to provide some relief in that bracket to allow hose clamps to fit so as to allow extinguisher to fit in mount. Very easy and secure. Took about 10 minutes.

As previously mentioned always reference the rules for whatever organization you are running with.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:44 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

The problem with the in reach rule is it is hard to find a spot in a Vette that is actually in reach of a driver with their belt on. If it is located in front of the passenger seat there is no easy or quick way to reach it even if the belt is unfastened. Mounted on the wall behind the seats it isn't reachable unless you unfasten the belt and turn around to grab it. If you have a race seat it might make that difficult due to the side and shoulder bolsters. In front of the driver seat is problematic as well since properly tightened belts will keep you from reaching it. If you have an underhood fire you might be able to afford a little more time getting hold of the extinguisher but if you have flames wrapping around the door and in the cockpit you need that thing in your hands FAST and taking time to unfasten belts can take too long. A few months after Boris Said was caught in a fire in the LG GT2 car in 09 I spent some time listening to him describe what it was like in the car and what he learned from it. First thing he said it was HOT, HOT, HOT! Then he said he didn't properly familiarize himself with the safety equipment when he got in the car. He had to hunt around for the fire system pull switch so he could activate it and it took him time to find the steering wheel latch so he could remove the steering wheel. All this while flames were wrapping around him. He had a fire suit. Most of us do not and would be even worse off.

Bill
Old 04-18-2015, 01:23 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

In light of all the above, I'm back to installing the bracket as designed at the front of the drivers seat.

I'm tall and can reach the passenger seat from the driver's seat with stock seat belts. I haven't yet installed 5 point harnesses, but may eventually do so. Once I do, my reach will be more limited. I don't like doing things things twice, so sounds like drivers seat is best.

Get notified of new replies

To Mounting Fire Extinguisher in C4

Quick Reply: Mounting Fire Extinguisher in C4