Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New seats causing odd angle on shift knob

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 10:54 PM
jranaudo
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default New seats causing odd angle on shift ****

So I put a new set of Corbeau FX1 seats. Everything fits fine but the side effect is that it's pretty tight to shift.

I seem to be perfectly positioned in the middle of the wheel but my arm doesn't have much room to shift into gears 2nd, 4th, 6th (doubt I need it) and the others causes my hand to be used at an odd angle.

Anybody else run into this? Thinking maybe a short shifter will be the answer.

Appreciate opinions. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2015, 11:22 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Are you shifting with your hand on top of the shifter or on the side? It is a lot easier to shift with the hand on top using finger tips to shift into 2,4,6 and the heel of the hand into 1,3 and 5. Pretty much a flip of the hand with a slight forward/backward movement of the arm.

Bill
Old 04-19-2015, 11:59 PM
jranaudo
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Are you shifting with your hand on top of the shifter or on the side? It is a lot easier to shift with the hand on top using finger tips to shift into 2,4,6 and the heel of the hand into 1,3 and 5. Pretty much a flip of the hand with a slight forward/backward movement of the arm.

Bill

Good point. I am using a Delrin Hardbar shift ****. I was using a combination of side and top. Reason was getting into 3rd was a bit hard to the taller **** gave me more leverage.

First thing in the AM I am going to try by other shift **** which is a ball like one. Might make the difference.

Thanks for pointing this out!
Old 04-20-2015, 12:06 AM
CONE RACER
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, it's different with that little side support on the seat in the way. I pretty do the same as Bill does. Works good and helps remind you you don't need drag race shifts for road courses. The e-brake handle can be a pain when you are all strapped in as well.

Consider rear bracing for the Corbeau's. Stiffens the back of the seat up so it won't flex back in the event of a rear impact.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:48 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by CONE RACER
Yep, it's different with that little side support on the seat in the way. I pretty do the same as Bill does. Works good and helps remind you you don't need drag race shifts for road courses. The e-brake handle can be a pain when you are all strapped in as well.

Consider rear bracing for the Corbeau's. Stiffens the back of the seat up so it won't flex back in the event of a rear impact.
I have an Ultrashield aluminum race seat and the deep side bolster tends to be right where my elbow wants to be when I have my hand on the shifter so arm movement is restricted.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To New seats causing odd angle on shift knob

Quick Reply: New seats causing odd angle on shift knob