Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5Z tie rod threaded length

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 11:23 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default C5Z tie rod threaded length

I just finished adding a degree of camber to the front end of my 2004 C5Z in an attempt to combat understeer, went from -1.5 to -2.5 degrees and it also added a LOT of toe in. I had to back out both tie rods quite a bit (~2.5 turns each side) to zero it back out and was wondering if anyone has measured the length of the threaded portion on a stock tie rod. How far can you back them out before you need to get a longer rod and/or end?

I guess I could have backed one all the way out to see but I didn't really think about it until just now.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:48 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by troyguitar
I just finished adding a degree of camber to the front end of my 2004 C5Z in an attempt to combat understeer, went from -1.5 to -2.5 degrees and it also added a LOT of toe in. I had to back out both tie rods quite a bit (~2.5 turns each side) to zero it back out and was wondering if anyone has measured the length of the threaded portion on a stock tie rod. How far can you back them out before you need to get a longer rod and/or end?

I guess I could have backed one all the way out to see but I didn't really think about it until just now.
I have wondered the same thing for the C6Z. With the Van Steel Plates I can get -4 deg of camber. When I switch from the street setting to track setting at -4 the tie rods have to be turned out over 1 inch on each side. That is a lot more than 2.5 turns. I haven't turned them all the way out but I wonder just how much of the rod is left inside.

Bill
Old 04-21-2015, 11:06 AM
troyguitar
Drifting

Yeah the first thing I tried was just maxing out all 4 adjusters and ended up around -3.6 degrees with roughly 2.5" of total toe in, the car could barely even roll. I didn't actually want that much camber to start with (I might end up there later in the year though...) but I also was afraid my tie rod ends would just fall out at that point.

Maybe I'm worried for no reason and there's tons of thread left - I guess I could just back one all the way out and see for myself but I was hoping someone had already been through this exercise and could put my mind at ease.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:54 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Troy,

When I recently replaced all four tire rod ends with GM parts, I marked and counted the threads on each end so that I could get the toe close enough for an upcoming race. There were anywhere from 13-17 threads on the tie rod inside the tie rod end. This was with over -3.5 degrees of camber... likely closer to -4.

That doesn't exactly answer your question, but gives you an idea that there is a LOT of thread inside the rod end when you run a lot of camber.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:46 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
Troy,

When I recently replaced all four tire rod ends with GM parts, I marked and counted the threads on each end so that I could get the toe close enough for an upcoming race. There were anywhere from 13-17 threads on the tie rod inside the tie rod end. This was with over -3.5 degrees of camber... likely closer to -4.

That doesn't exactly answer your question, but gives you an idea that there is a LOT of thread inside the rod end when you run a lot of camber.
Thanks for that Kevin, it looks like you actually have more thread engagement than me somehow. Here's my driver's side after adjusting it out:

I have ~30 threads NOT engaged and it appears from looking at some online stock photos that there are ~40 threads on the rods, so I'm sitting around ~10 threads engaged. Should be fine, I guess?

My passenger side has fewer threads showing so I suppose I could either re-set my steering wheel to even it out or buy some longer rear ends to put up front.

Get notified of new replies

To C5Z tie rod threaded length

Quick Reply: C5Z tie rod threaded length