Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vibration under heavy load left hand turning

Old 04-21-2015, 11:48 AM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Default vibration under heavy load left hand turning

Last event at TWS I felt some slight vibration through the steering wheel under hard left hand cornering. It would only happen on certain corners, I thought it may be a tire rub, I have checked the tires and fenders and no indication of that. Any ideas. I also changed my endlinks many months back to the clunking noise, but this is a far different issue. Unsure if it is anything major, but I have found no evidence thus far.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:45 AM
CasualGuy
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a left side shock absorber could need replacing and is allowing the wheel to hop a bit when the left side of the car is unloaded in a hard LH turn. Had this exact issue recently and used it as an excuse to upgrade to DRM Bilsteins. Problem solved. :-D
Old 04-22-2015, 09:39 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Bad tire, bent wheel, bad hub, loose/worn LF suspension bushings/mounts. Check all of them.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:55 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

ok guys when I typed this it was a typo its right hand turns. I have changed different sets of wheels, just finished changing the hub and the same vibration under hard right hand turns. I did notice I have rubbing on my steering rack from my header. Still unsure if thats the issue. Also I have pfadt shocks on the car with probably 6-8k miles.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:40 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Might be a good time to upgrade the wheel bearings to SKF. Did you notice a longer brake pedal (pad kickback) after turning? When you replaced end links did you check for tight fit in the knuckle? Sometimes the hole gets worn and the joint does not fit tightly.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:08 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

On the sway bar or the spring
Old 06-20-2015, 07:48 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by chets ls3
ok guys when I typed this it was a typo its right hand turns. I have changed different sets of wheels, just finished changing the hub and the same vibration under hard right hand turns. I did notice I have rubbing on my steering rack from my header. Still unsure if thats the issue. Also I have pfadt shocks on the car with probably 6-8k miles.
This

My header was rubbing on steering wheel shaft that goes down to the steering rack. Loosened the engine mounts and shifted the engine right, problem solved.

Your steering shaft probably has the paint rubbed off where it is contacting the header during right turns.

Last edited by CGZO6; 06-20-2015 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:38 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

I was also told it could be my actual PS pump. thought that was weird though when it sounds like metal to metal contact.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:39 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CGZO6
This

My header was rubbing on steering wheel shaft that goes down to the steering rack. Loosened the engine mounts and shifted the engine right, problem solved.

Your steering shaft probably has the paint rubbed off where it is contacting the header during right turns.
might try this, sounds like some work though
Old 06-20-2015, 08:56 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

might try this, sounds like some work though
Loosen 2 big nuts on bottom of engine cradle. Use crowbar to slide engine to the right as far as needed. Tighten 2 big nuts.

Think the big nuts are 18mm, but it's been a few years.

Look at your steering shaft where it goes by the drivers side header. If your header is contacting the steering shaft, the shaft will have the paint rubbed off where the header is contacting the shaft during right turns.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:49 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

Forgot to add: use jack to slightly lift engine off cradle when prying it to the right.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:56 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Yes it is rubbing. I do know that. But if I turn the wheel on a big sweeper and hold the wheel (not turning the shaft at all) I still get a noise. I'm not eliminating this at all though and will try this
Old 06-20-2015, 11:18 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

Yes it is rubbing. I do know that. But if I turn the wheel on a big sweeper and hold the wheel (not turning the shaft at all) I still get a noise. I'm not eliminating this at all though and will try this
I had the exact same issue on my first track day after header install. Moving engine to the right solved my vibration issue when turning right. The engine leans left just enough for the header to contact the steering shaft when turning right (with the associated G load while turning) causing the vibration.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:39 AM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Thanks I will try this.

Get notified of new replies

To vibration under heavy load left hand turning

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: vibration under heavy load left hand turning