Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 square setup and brake cooling

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 12:10 PM
Twiggs
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C6 square setup and brake cooling

Just got done with my first track day in my C6. Looks like it's time for a dedicated set of track tires and wheels. I see you guys talk about a square setup, and that having 4(5) 18X10.5" wheels is a good way to go. Does anyone run 275s on all 4 corners so you can rotate rubber and cut down cost?

The other piece of homework I have is cooling my front rotors. I will pick up the spindle ducts, but it seems there are 3 ways to get air to those spindles. Either the stock intakes that sit under the car which will get closed up when I do an under tray. The second option is to remove the foglights and run ducts from there. I've heard that this does have some good increase in cooling but doesn't really jive with the overall air currents around the front of the car. The third is to duct from the front grille, this sounds like the best Idea so far but does anyone know if it will hamper cooling as you take up real estate in front of the radiator?
Old 04-21-2015, 01:56 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Twiggs
Just got done with my first track day in my C6. Looks like it's time for a dedicated set of track tires and wheels. I see you guys talk about a square setup, and that having 4(5) 18X10.5" wheels is a good way to go. Does anyone run 275s on all 4 corners so you can rotate rubber and cut down cost?

The other piece of homework I have is cooling my front rotors. I will pick up the spindle ducts, but it seems there are 3 ways to get air to those spindles. Either the stock intakes that sit under the car which will get closed up when I do an under tray. The second option is to remove the foglights and run ducts from there. I've heard that this does have some good increase in cooling but doesn't really jive with the overall air currents around the front of the car. The third is to duct from the front grille, this sounds like the best Idea so far but does anyone know if it will hamper cooling as you take up real estate in front of the radiator?
I did the fog light method using ducts from Pegasus bonded to the fascia, no regrets.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:41 PM
kevinj0101
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I went the cheap way and made my own, all said and done it works pretty good and was under 100.00 bucks with paying someone to do the welding. Used the factory z06 ducting up to the hose sections.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:06 AM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Im also in the same boat with a wheel tire combo, Seems the interlace and nurburgring is a hit or miss, maybe jerry can chime in on what he did to make the 10.5s fit all around? suspension? how stiff? any bottoming out? if so minor?
Old 04-22-2015, 09:22 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

I run custom CCW wheels with slightly different widths (10.5" front and 10" front), and 11" rear. I also have a set of TSW's that I can only run front only.

NOTE: the TSW's only work (18x10.5) if you are not lowered (I'm slammed on LG G2 coilovers).
- you can not run wider than 285mm width tires on the 10.5" TSWs on the rear of a narrow body C6 if you are lowered at all.
- you can run 305mm max on the 10.5" wide TSW's on the front of a narrow body C6 but with MASSIVE rub. I still do it but expect it to rub the inner fender and outer fender and you will spend time cutting up a pretty car to do it.. mine is a race car.

I end up running TSW's front and CCWs rear many times. HTH.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:08 AM
Twiggs
Instructor

So is there any issue with running 285mm on all four corners, or 275s on all four? I'm on a normal ride height with DRM bilstien shocks.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:17 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Twiggs
So is there any issue with running 285mm on all four corners, or 275s on all four? I'm on a normal ride height with DRM bilstien shocks.
You should be fine.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:19 AM
Twiggs
Instructor

Excellent. That saves a lot of headache and money
Old 04-23-2015, 09:29 AM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on Hankook's 285/18 on all four with 18x10.5, I also run the quantum brake cooling kit. I expect it to rub a bit at full turn in but we'll see.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 square setup and brake cooling

Quick Reply: C6 square setup and brake cooling