Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Other than HPDE, how to get on the track in the North East?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 01:23 PM
SinnerZ06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Other than HPDE, how to get on the track in the North East?

Lime Rock, Pocono, Watkins Glen, and New Jersey Motorsports Park are all 1-3 hours from me.

The only way I can find to get on those tracks is through an HPDE course through NASA. Which is fine, but there's a limited amount, and I want to do more lapping and eventually racing. SCCA doesn't seem to offer anything. I did Skip Barber last year but I want to start running my own car (it's cheaper and fun to build my car up over time).

I can't find ANY club racing events for Corvettes. The porsche clubs have Lime Rock booked at least once or twice a month the entire season - is there anything like that for Corvettes that I can take my car to?
Old 04-24-2015, 01:39 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Most clubs allow other people to run with them, though douchie porsche may be the exception. I run with a shelby club and with clubs that aren't brand afiliated. the shelby club and fbody club let anyone run locally as long as you pay your $20 to join the club yearly.

Best bet is to go to the tracks web page, they generally have a calender. Then look who rents the track, go to all those places web pages and see if they are open clubs that any car can run with. Even if they are model or brand afiliated they generally let other brands run.

On the other side if you actually want to race, you will want to make sure to start down the nasa path now as it takes some time and its good to learn their way.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:49 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

go to motorsportsreg.com and search the calendar for driver's schools within how ever many miles you are willing to travel. in my experience, porsche has been accepting of my vette - northern new jersey chapter anyway. I attend a lot of BMW CCA events as well. that's a great club - inexpensive (relatively speaking) and they don't care what you drive.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:46 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

scda1.com runs those tracks

http://www.comscc.org/ does TIMED events
Old 04-24-2015, 06:03 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I'm in lehigh valley PA, I really like the PCA group out of DC, I ran with them last year at the glen and will go back again this year. I didn't like PCA Hudson/Champlain who I ran with at LRP. Either way, they both accepted my C5 without a stink eye. My critique is more related with how they ran their event versus snobbery or the cool kid club. I don't have any experience yet with an Audi club, but I'll run with them in 2 weeks at Pocono. I've had instructors say the BMWCCA group treats other marques poorly, it makes me shy away from them. But I should try them out at some point.

Another site to look at is club registration.net. They have different events than motorsportsreg.

Yes there are some elitist clubs that are BMW or Porsche only.

I wish there was more of a corvette organization or presence. Not because of snobbery, just want instructors that know my car beyond the basics. I had a guy at my very first event ever that was a corvette guy. I only ran a couple sessions with him, but I look for him on event lists because I would like to work with him more.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:48 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

I've run with PCA before, and IMO they are generally good guys. The guys who run frequently at least. You're bound to get the guy here or there who is a dickbag, and if you act like a dickbag in another brand of car they will be extra judgmental, but if you don't act like a tool you'll be fine.

I was in one of my father's 911s at that event, but told them I had a Corvette. There were several vettes that ran with them and everyone had a lot of respect for each others' cars, there was definitely some friendly competition though. There was a guy in a Lotus and a guy in a Charger SRT8 who were tools, they weren't frequent members to their events and everyone was pretty pissed with them. The Lotus guy had a attitude problem about how amazing his Lotus Exige S was (he made sure to repeatedly point out it wasn't an Elise and that it was an Exige S and it was supercharged... didn't help him OR his dad drive decent that day. The son kept saying how he was "missing boost from his supercharger", the dad said no such thing and they were both slower in the corners than my father and I.) The Charger guy just didn't point anyone by, was slow as hell in turns, and when he did give a point by he decided to redeem his manhood by drag racing me for the pass in his bolt on modded 392 Charger.

Anyways, I'd run with PCA in a heartbeat full time. Nice guys, events are well run, and overall you get less people out there who are crazy. My biggest issue with them is that they require a PROFESSIONAL tech inspection before every event. You can't do it yourself, and you have to do it every event. That adds up.

I normally run with NASA. IMO, working your way up through the DE groups is a great way to get experience. DE 3 and 4 are essentially pure lapping experiences, but personally I'm trying to stay in DE1 as long as possible so that I can get an instructor as much as possible. Not that I don't know when I make a mistake, but it's nice to get constructive feedback from someone experienced. Once they kick me out of DE1, I'll probably try to work through the other DE groups as fast as possible.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:38 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by SinnerZ06
I want to do more lapping and eventually racing. SCCA doesn't seem to offer anything.
All the big boys race with SCCA. I just raced VIR with them. Fantastic track and fantastic club. I'll be at Mid-O in a month.

http://www.scca.com/events/news.cfm?eid=8202&cid=52044

Northeast Conference
April 17-19 - VIRginia International Raceway, Alton, Va. (With Southeast)
May 1-3 - Summit Point Raceway, Summit Point, W. Va. (With Southeast)
May 29-31 - Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Lexington, Ohio (With Northern)
July 3-5 - Watkins Glen International, Watkins Glen, N.Y.
July 24-26 - New Jersey Motorsports Park, Millville, N.J.
Aug. 14-16 – Pitt Race (new 2.9-mile circuit), Wampum, Pa.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:14 AM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Try the Reisentoter (RTR) region of PCA on motorsportreg. I've run with them for 6 years. Corvette friendly. We will be at Pocono mid May and NJMP end of June. Unfortunately we lost our WG date in July due to the repave but will have it back on the schedule next year.

Any questions PM me.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:18 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

HookedOnDriving.com and chinmotorsports.com are two event organizers who stage frequent trackdays in the north east and are not brand specific.

Also check out emraracing.com - they are a small sanctioning body that stages both races and DEs in the northeast.

As mentioned above - BMW, Porsche and Audi clubs all stage track events and accept all brands. Both Audi and BMW require you to be a member of the national club though, not sure about PCA.

Cumberland Valley Corvette club is at Pocono May 2-3. This is an annual event. In general however - corvette club track events are relatively rare (compared to PCA and BMWCCA). It's not entirely clear to me why this is the case when you consider that the Vette is one of the most popular track day cars. Most Vette clubs are made of of waxers me thinks.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:29 AM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

I use motorsportsreg.com for BMWCCA or BMW Canada
and clubregistration.net for PCA

both allow any type of car and for the most part are good guys although the BMW events are pretty uptight (Genesee Valley) in my experience compared to PCA (Niagara chapter)

Trillium chapter BMW of Canada is my favorite and they run multiple events at Mosport each year.

I am trying Mt. Tremblant with Boston PCA this year also (I see you are not too far from Lime Rock and Palmer Motorsports Park which Boston BMW frequents)

Lots of Vettes at all these events

Last edited by 05dsom; 04-25-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:44 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

www.tracktime4cars.com

They run at NJMP and Pocono

It's a very diverse group, but only allow intermediate and advanced drivers.

Groups are cut off at 28 cars for Thunderbolt, so very low traffic

They allow passengers

A Minimum of Seven, 20 min sessions each event
Old 04-27-2015, 03:05 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham

http://www.comscc.org/ does TIMED events
COM does time trials on the second day of the event but the first day is a typical HPDE day.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:36 PM
vinniemc
Racer

Autocross at Devens with any club, I'm pretty sure there is an autocross every day of every weekend during the spring/summer/fall. Devens is also an amazing place for autocross, we're lucky to have it around here.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:47 PM
MyOwn69
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hod

Hooked on Driving ( http://www.hookedondriving.com/ ) is not related to any specific car brand, but it DOES have a C7 (a corporate sponsor) and opportunities to drive it.
You'll be on the track with EVERYTHING!!!
Old 04-28-2015, 06:52 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Lots of good leads in this thread that shouldn't be too far for the OP.
Look at CCNEPA; they are at Pocono on Memorial Day.
Track Night in America has something in CT in early May:
http://www.tracknightinamerica.com/
Old 04-30-2015, 08:58 AM
SHOCheapRacing
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

I have been running with multiple Porsche clubs over the last few years. Cheapest weekend events I can find. I fill in with BMW and then instruct with Audi when it fits my schedule.

PCA (shattenbaum, riesentoter , NNJR) regions are fantastic group of folks and don't care you show up in a Corvette.

I run at NJ, Watkins, and was at Summit Point this past weekend with Shattenbaum.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:11 AM
NARRA
2nd Gear

SinnerZ06, we are a club racing organization that will be at Watkins Glen International May 15-17 and NJMP August 28-30.

We (NARRA) have both a wheel to wheel racing series and time trial series. The classes are power to weight ratio based and your Corvette would fit right in. Corvette, Viper, Porsche.....all kinds of GT cars race with us.

Send me a message if you would like more details, I would be happy to talk to you about the series. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Other than HPDE, how to get on the track in the North East?

Old 05-01-2015, 03:03 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by SinnerZ06
Lime Rock, Pocono, Watkins Glen, and New Jersey Motorsports Park are all 1-3 hours from me.

The only way I can find to get on those tracks is through an HPDE course through NASA. Which is fine, but there's a limited amount, and I want to do more lapping and eventually racing. SCCA doesn't seem to offer anything. I did Skip Barber last year but I want to start running my own car (it's cheaper and fun to build my car up over time).

I can't find ANY club racing events for Corvettes. The porsche clubs have Lime Rock booked at least once or twice a month the entire season - is there anything like that for Corvettes that I can take my car to?
NASA has limited days at the Glen. Most available days are taken by various groups such as multiple BMW Club Chapters, Trackmasters, Phoenix, multiple PCA Chapters, Ferrari Club.

Trackmasters offers plenty of open track time as does Phoenix CMR. Trackmasters provides plenty of flexibility so you can schedule just one day or sometimes three. Phoenix is probably the most cost effective choice.

New participants with Trackmasters are required to come when there is a novice school being run. You are given a check ride to determine whether or not you can keep pace with the Open Trackers (some are very fast with all out race cars, so you have to demonstrate that you can handle that type of environment, even LG had to have a check ride). If you don't pass the check ride you are put in the novice school and work through Novice and Intermediate Levels to get approval for Open Track. Once in Open Track you get about 5 hours of track time per day which is enough to wipe you and the car out.

Phoenix has a structure with three Groups. Group 1 is a Novice Group that gets instructors and is on track for 4 20 minute sessions. Then there are two Open Track groups that get 4 40 minute sessions each per day. Group 2 is more for intermediate level drivers and Group 3 is for Instructors and more advanced drivers.

You can get plenty of track time at the Glen without ever going to a NASA event. In fact most people don't do NASA there. When I instruct with NASA at the Glen I rarely see any of the people from Canada or upstate NY. Most of them are from downstate.

Check Motorsport.reg for schedules. Some of the groups let you sign up through that web site others point you to their web site. I am pretty sure you still need to use the Trackmasters and Phoenix CMR web sites to sign up for their events.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 05-01-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:37 AM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SHOCheapRacing
PCA (shattenbaum, riesentoter , NNJR) regions are fantastic group of folks and don't care you show up in a Corvette.

I run at NJ, Watkins, and was at Summit Point this past weekend with Shattenbaum.
Shattenbaum runs a wonderful, organized and safe event.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:33 AM
Buzartiano
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default come and try Thompson CT road course

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ad-course.html

come and be my guest and get the most track time you have ever had!

with beer and wings after

Buz

Quick Reply: Other than HPDE, how to get on the track in the North East?