Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carnage pics from broken valve spring - what now?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 01:26 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Carnage pics from broken valve spring - what now?

They were BT Racing springs with less than 5 track days on them. Not expecting that. Probably did a lap and a 1/2 before I realized what had happened - hence the damage. Not sure what to do now. I hate to trash a $10k motor.

Thoughts?
Old 04-25-2015, 01:58 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Salvage what you can and rebuild it. But no fun for awhile. Find another engine to run and still rebuild it and save it as a spare. Last choice sell it off. But talk to builder or part supplier see if they are willing to help you out first. You got nothing to lose.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:17 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Sorry to see that mess. What rpms were you running?

Old 04-25-2015, 04:32 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

My rev limiter is set at 6900, but I never hit it. Maybe 6700 a couple of times. When you are making 500rwhp and you lose a cylinder, it is hard to tell until the backstretch. Obviously it was too late. It was kicking *** before it broke though.

Hoping to salvage the head as TFS is pretty expensive. I finally talked to my vette guru friend. Motor definitely has to come out and redone. Not sure a piston can be changed from bottom but it would save a lot of work. But after 6 1/2 years of tracking, it probably needs to come out anyway.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:07 PM
ibjamin
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So both valve springs broke? And dropped the intake valve into the cylinder? Something went seriously wrong. I would check it over carefully. The broken valve spring may have been the result of something else going wrong. Maybe a lifter twisted or ??? I wouldn't be so sure that the broken valve spring was the cause of that.

G
Old 04-25-2015, 05:36 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

i don't see why you would have to trash it. unless a liner is scored you can rehone and buy new pistons and rings

heads you could smooth out with sanding rolls, may not be perfect but many a racer has run a set of heads with nicks in the chambers

if you do all the work yourself you may have $1000 in repairs there
Old 04-26-2015, 11:47 AM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was the spring actually broken or did the valve stem fail and drop the valve?

That's gonna need a complete tear down and inspection but I would be surprised if you saved that head. Looks like a pretty deep gouge.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:25 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

That head can be repaired, even if the cylinder liner is cracked, it can be replaced.

Not near as bad as it could have been, broken rod, crank, broken cam, window in the block.....you were lucky.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:00 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Only one valve is broken. The wrenched valve had dual springs and both were broken. The other valve and springs are OK. It would be nice to salvage the heads. The chambers are nicked up pretty bad, I presume from the metal pieces floating around in there. Here is what the other pistons look like:

Not sure if they can be salvaged. As far as the cylinder wall of the bad piston, it is almost to the top, but the 1" exposed wall has no scars or ridges that I can tell.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:14 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Just got through listening to NASCAR race on radio. Brad Kezwolowski ran last 1/2 of race on 7 cylinders. Will it hurt to run it on 7 cylinders? It still would have over 430 rwhp. Just thinking out loud.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:45 PM
Robert Thomas
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

A sometimes over looked failure is the spring retainer lock. One looks like its embedded in the head. So the locks, retainer, springs and valve should be inspected to see if you can find out what failed . As a former Corvair owner, I can tell you the head can be repaired. The 140s dropped valve seats regularly. The engine needs to be yanked and thoroughly cleaned. You're going to need to check the rod journal to make sure it wasn't hurt when the piston and rod smacked the valve. The oil pump is likely contaminated, too. I know, ugh.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:04 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

If you plan on re-using things like crank/rods have them magnafluxed to check for cracks. They may visually appear in good shape and not be usable. I have had to throw away several thousands of dollars in parts because of a lousy valve spring in the past.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:34 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Get ready to spend serious money on a new valve train. Springs are just the first step. Here's an article I did last year on high performance valve trains.

Richard Newton
Old 04-27-2015, 10:53 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Finally some good news. Got the passenger head off tonite and it all looks good. No nicks or gouges. Hopefully the other can be repaired. I ran my little magnetic pick up all through the cylinders and there is no metal anywhere. To do all that scarring, you would think there would be traces of it somewhere. Hope to get to engine builder tomorrow to have them check out heads and discuss looking at my block. Somebody gets to tear that down. Long process ahead.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:41 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Robert Thomas
A sometimes over looked failure is the spring retainer lock. One looks like its embedded in the head.
I wonder how the spring retainer lock, or valve keeper, got from the top of the head where oil is got came off and physically make it through the head and into the combustion chamber? After all those are in two completely opposite sides of the head and cannot possibly ever come together. If the keeper did fail, it would wind up in the oil pan at worst.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:04 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I forgot to reply about that as someone mentioned that earlier. It is just the way the pic looks. I have both the locks.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:17 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Dropped heads off by race shop that specializes in head work. Even more good news - he says heads are repairable. He did not seem alarmed at them at all. Said he had repaired worse. Also, said he could do my block also if I could get it too them as they do not remove or install - only build. Now to find out what/who/where to do block.

Get notified of new replies

To Carnage pics from broken valve spring - what now?

Old 04-29-2015, 12:23 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

I'm going through a semi-halfassed rebuild on my LT1 now: wadded up #6 rod bearing and galled the wrist pins to the pistons. Really wanted the cheap way out because of the whole "I'll blow it before I wear it out" mentality. Originally was going to slap in good used crank, pistons, rods, reuse mains/rings, install new rod bearings, call it good. Got to reading some more and realized that, if the ring gaps didn't fall right back where they were, ring seal would be a crapshoot. Dammit. So I honed, went with new rings, then I'm all like well hell, may as well polish the crank and get new mains. So as far as the short block is concerned, the only thing I skimped on was boring/new pistons and new cam bearings. Engine had great oil pressure when I tore it down, so cam bearings don't concern me. Learned a fun fact on cylinder walls, despite the fact that there was a near indiscernible ridge, I still had some wall wear. This was a low mileage engine (~60k), but when I hit it with a 3 stone hone, I could see low spots. The thing that really blew my mind was seeing where the rings slammed against the walls near the top of the cylinder. Had I used a dingleberry hone, I would have never noticed that. Ended up going 320 grit and finishing with a red scotch brite pad, hopefully Vizard knows his shjt and this thing breaks in quick with little ring wear and litter in the oil.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:35 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
and litter in the oil.
Please explain.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:13 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
Please explain.

It's supposed to be a garage plateau hone, takes the sharp edges off of the hone scratches. The surface was noticeably smoother afterward. Since there's fewer ridges to chew through, the rings presumably seat more quickly and there's less ring wear during breakin and thus less crap in that first batch of oil. Since I'll break in on the dyno and immediately transition to power pulls, this makes me feel a little better about making those power pulls.

Quick Reply: Carnage pics from broken valve spring - what now?