Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Under Hood and Under Car Heat Protection question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 12:04 AM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Under Hood and Under Car Heat Protection question(s)

Unfortunately I will have the whole engine and driveline out of my C5Z. Consider it a dedicated track car with the standard headers (LG SuperPro), BBK, Full Cage, blah, blah, blah.

While everything is out I was planning on doing some heat shielding. I have an Elite Engineering tunnel plate, the thick ceramic coated one; it is fantastic.

Other items I am considering:
  • Get the clutch master->slave hose in DEI Cool Tubing
  • DEI Flex wrap for the 02 sensor wires where the run parallel with the header pipes
  • Plug wire socks
  • Smaller DEI cool tube over the brake lines where the exhaust goes over the axle and where they are close to the headers up front
  • More cool tube for starter wires

Is there any reason not to put any of those parts in cool tube?

Obviously I like the cool tube, but that is just the most recent thing I have seen that appears to be effective and reasonably priced. I am happy to hear alternatives.

Anything else I should consider in your experience?

Anyone have experience with what the Adhesive on the DEI Heat Tape is like when you try to remove it? Or if it even holds up over time.

The goal is component preservation at a reasonable price.

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:30 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

A few years ago a broken wheel, off track excursion, and resulting fire led to me having to replace all the wiring under my car (and everything else that was plastic or not all that heat resistant). I used rolls of the heat tape. I wrapped every bit of wiring since it was out of the car and easy to get to. Since then I've had to change a pig tail now and then and make other wiring mods. Removing the tape hasn't been a problem. The tape sticks well to itself as you spiral down the wire loom, but it really doesn't adhere to the wiring itself all that much.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:30 PM
808EB03Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Last C5
A few years ago a broken wheel, off track excursion, and resulting fire led to me having to replace all the wiring under my car (and everything else that was plastic or not all that heat resistant). I used rolls of the heat tape. I wrapped every bit of wiring since it was out of the car and easy to get to. Since then I've had to change a pig tail now and then and make other wiring mods. Removing the tape hasn't been a problem. The tape sticks well to itself as you spiral down the wire loom, but it really doesn't adhere to the wiring itself all that much.
What brand is good to go with for the heat tape?
Old 04-27-2015, 05:51 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 808EB03Z06
I'm sure there are a lot of similar brands. The one I bought a couple of rolls of was Cool-it brand. (Summit or JEGs probably) The tape is just a chrome heat reflective finish that you peal a white paper backing off of as you use it.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:53 PM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 808EB03Z06
Amazon.com: DEI 010397 Reflect-A-GOLD 2"x30' Tape Roll: Automotive Amazon.com: DEI 010397 Reflect-A-GOLD 2"x30' Tape Roll: Automotive
Old 04-28-2015, 11:54 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the info on the tape, nasty goo or a cement coating on everything would suck. It looks like there is a lot of opportunity to protect things once the engine is completely out...hopefully it will be on the ground tomorrow night.

Get notified of new replies

To Under Hood and Under Car Heat Protection question(s)

Quick Reply: Under Hood and Under Car Heat Protection question(s)