Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hand Brake after a track session

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 11:11 PM
Deuce Man
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hand Brake after a track session

OK, random end of the night question.

The first time I ever went to the track, everyone told me "don't use your handbrake right after a session!" The logic was that it would warp the rear rotors. But, the handbrake is a shoe inside the rear rotor that just presses outward on the rotor fairly evenly.

I never gave this much thought until today. Been making sure I didn't use the handbrake after a session for a couple years now, but today I guess I am feeling controversial, or curious, or something along those lines......

Someone help me understand why this is really an issue.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:43 AM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I always thought the issue was relative to the shoes melting and sticking to the drum. I am subed for an answer
Old 04-28-2015, 01:20 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Not sure why anyone needs to use a handbrake, just leave the car in first gear...........
Old 04-28-2015, 06:32 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Socko
I always thought the issue was relative to the shoes melting and sticking to the drum. I am subed for an answer

This as well as the risk of fire. I have personally seen more than one set of brakes catch fire sitting in the paddock.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:43 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Socko
This. My track car is a street car too. One time I wanted the e-brake to engage earlier than all the way up so I had it adjusted. The next time I was at the track I didn't even use the e-brake but since they had adjusted the pads to be closer to the hat it melted the pads completely and they fused. I had a cracked rotor and couldn't get it off because it had melted so bad. I had to take it to the dealer for them to fix it.

Bottom line, don't use e-brake at the track. It's because of heat.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:16 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I've been wondering about this myself. When I was at Spring Mountain I noticed that they had everyone set the parking brake when coming off track. I asked one of the instructors about this and he said that they hadn't had any problems and if the shoe did melt they had a 460 HP sledge hammer to get it loose.

I still don't set the parking brake if I'm just coming off track and parking the car but I'm no longer afraid to do it if I need to leave the car running.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:10 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've seen one stick, and then saw the guy smoke up his clutch using the 460 HP sledgehammer method to un-stick it.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:40 AM
Deuce Man
Instructor

Originally Posted by harrydirty
Not sure why anyone needs to use a handbrake, just leave the car in first gear...........
For me it has always been a habit, and I could argue a good habit as a just in case. My problem is that pulling the hand brake is a habit, whether at the track or when driving around town. So I have to really really think about not pulling the hand brake when i park after a session. Hence the reason I asked what the major issue would truly be. I had a good idea, but was just curious if other folks had actually seen true issues or not.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:58 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Deuce Man
For me it has always been a habit, and I could argue a good habit as a just in case. My problem is that pulling the hand brake is a habit, whether at the track or when driving around town. So I have to really really think about not pulling the hand brake when i park after a session. Hence the reason I asked what the major issue would truly be. I had a good idea, but was just curious if other folks had actually seen true issues or not.
That makes sense and it's logical that it would be difficult to break a habit just for the track......you would have to deliberately remember not to use the parking brake.

For me, it's the opposite.......I never use the parking brake unless I was parking on a steep incline, so for me it's never an issue.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:26 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by moespeeds
I've seen one stick, and then saw the guy smoke up his clutch using the 460 HP sledgehammer method to un-stick it.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:39 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I'll take a crack at this, let's say you are a red group driver & come in off some fast laps without a cool down (some tracks don't allow) and park it.

Your rear drums are, say, 1200 f.

or

You are a novice and ran some easy laps with the active handling on, this caused the rear brakes to apply a LOT,

Your rear drums are, say, 1200 f.

Your PARKING BRAKE pad , being OFF is maybe 1/2 that temp.

You pull up hard on the parking brake in the cockpit and walk away knowing your car won't roll into someone elses.

The rotor starts to cool down CONTRACTING on the parking brake you so mightily engaged, the heat goes to the parking brake which proceeds to EXPAND.

I would guess, depending on how strong you are, you are going to either bind them up like they were almost welded or crack, split one part or the other.

Anyway, I never put it on when my brakes are hot.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:52 PM
Deuce Man
Instructor

Originally Posted by harrydirty
That makes sense and it's logical that it would be difficult to break a habit just for the track......you would have to deliberately remember not to use the parking brake.

For me, it's the opposite.......I never use the parking brake unless I was parking on a steep incline, so for me it's never an issue.
I am usually pretty good about remembering not to put in on at the track, but I certainly did it a couple times when I was new. I still tend to grab it every time I park and have to really think about it. I think I am going to put rubber bands or something on the handle, just so it feels different than usually, and hopefully that triggers my brain to not do it.

Maybe I'll duct tape some push pins to the handle....that'll make me think twice about pulling the darn thing
Old 04-28-2015, 04:42 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Deuce Man
I am usually pretty good about remembering not to put in on at the track, but I certainly did it a couple times when I was new. I still tend to grab it every time I park and have to really think about it. I think I am going to put rubber bands or something on the handle, just so it feels different than usually, and hopefully that triggers my brain to not do it.

Maybe I'll duct tape some push pins to the handle....that'll make me think twice about pulling the darn thing
Depending on how often you track, it will soon become a new habit (if it already isn't)......but the pins sound like a definite solution!

Get notified of new replies

To Hand Brake after a track session

Quick Reply: Hand Brake after a track session