Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help..how best to screw into floorpan?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 04:44 PM
jranaudo
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Help..how best to screw into floorpan?

So i installed better seats but intend to swap them in and out with the stock ones for HPDE days. I want to remount the "yaw" sensor to the floorpan but am concerned that repeated removal of the screw will eventually mess up the hole. I mean it is a layer of balsa wood under there.

Is there something that I can put in place, like an anchor that never moves but allows a screw to be used so I don't have to be concerned about repeated removal will strip the original hole?

Hope this makes sense. See pic for reference. I removed sensor bracket that was glued to floor to my seat rails would sit flat.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:14 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

The standard way of doing that in the boating world is to first drill a bigger hole (like 3/8 of an inch, then wet the surface of the hole with epoxy that will soak into the wood. Then fill it with epoxy that is mixed with sawdust or a similar filler, and before it sets up put a screw in it that is coated with a mold release agent (or bees wax) so that the goop doesn't stick to the screw.

Voilà, instant threaded hole.

There are variations on that theme, some just use a lubricant on the screw and put it into the goo while it is in a soft "putty" like state. There are now some epoxy "putties" that you cut off a piece and knead them and then stuff them in the hole. All of the above approaches really rely on an epoxy that is "wet" to soak into the wood and get a good bond to the wood. If you don't do that you are wasting your time, the putty type epoxy won't stick to the wood worth a darn.

Even better is to bury some bolts in the goo and have some DIY studs sticking up. That way you can put the sensor on and take it off by removing a couple of small nuts.

If you want to make it killer strong is to put a bit of fiberglass or carbon cloth over the stud or hole and wet that out so there is a small patch on top of the plug. Probably overkill for something like a yaw sensor tho...

Lastly, you can take a piece of aluminum, cut out a patch of the top layer of glass and enough of the core to account for the aluminum thickness, glue in the aluminum with a wet epoxy, then cover it all with a piece of cloth and after it sets up drill and tap the aluminum.

Pick your poison.

Last edited by Solofast; 05-02-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:20 AM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I you have a hard bar seat rail on the passenger side, it already has threaded holes in the proper spacing that allow you to bolt the sensor to the seat rail. No need to drill into the floor pan.

If swapping the seat rails in and out, I used to just "temporarily" reglue to the sensor to the floor without the bracket using some RTV. Then put the carpet over top of it and the sensor stayed nicely in place...
Old 05-03-2015, 10:46 AM
jranaudo
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for the replies. The RTV seems the easiest. How do you unglue or remove the RTV? Is it just pulling it off or prying with a screwdriver?
Old 05-03-2015, 01:05 PM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jranaudo
thanks for the replies. The RTV seems the easiest. How do you unglue or remove the RTV? Is it just pulling it off or prying with a screwdriver?
I used blue RTV it didn't dry hard, stayed kind of gummy, i was able to lift it off by hand.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:40 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

A nutsert would probably be your best bet.

Get notified of new replies

To Help..how best to screw into floorpan?

Quick Reply: Help..how best to screw into floorpan?