Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better autox pads for c5z

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 11:22 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Better autox pads for c5z

I've been using mostly hp+ for years but lately (today) they don't seem to put as much torque on the rotors as I need. There is NOTHING "wrong" with my brakes, except that they are stock & I don't really want to do a BB upgrade unless I really need to.

I run a7 so grip is not an issue, I don't usually get abs action unless I get on a dirty spot.

Mostly been using hp+ because they are almost 1/2 the cost of all the others, why, I don't know?

They are not that bad, but when I am against a couple of other good drivers I need every 10'th of a sec.

So what do you think?

Old 05-03-2015, 10:20 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I have 2 options obviously going to be some more $$$ than the HP+. Let me know if you would like a quote or have questions. You can run XP8 front AX6 rear or XP8 front and rear or AX6 front and rear.

Carbotech™ AX6™

The AX6™ is specifically engineered for Autocross applications. A high torque brake compound delivering reliable and consistent performance over a very wide operating temperature range of 50°F to 1000°F + (10°C to 537°C+). The advanced compound matrix provides an excellent initial bite, high coefficient of friction at lower temperatures along with very progressive brake modulation and release characteristics. Many drivers use the AX6™ for street driving as well, even though Carbotech™ doesn't recommend street driving with AX6™ due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise. AX6™ is NOT recommended as a race compound in most applications.

Carbotech™ XP8™

A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range of 200°F-1250°F+ (93°C to 676°C+). Carbotech™ XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Good initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance and very rotor friendly. Perfect for track day use with any tire and can still be driven safely to and from the track. Carbotech™ does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. Carbotech™ XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 05-03-2015, 10:30 AM
RadnessWarrior
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
I have 2 options obviously going to be some more $$$ than the HP+. Let me know if you would like a quote or have questions. You can run XP8 front AX6 rear or XP8 front and rear or AX6 front and rear.

Carbotech™ AX6™

The AX6™ is specifically engineered for Autocross applications. A high torque brake compound delivering reliable and consistent performance over a very wide operating temperature range of 50°F to 1000°F + (10°C to 537°C+). The advanced compound matrix provides an excellent initial bite, high coefficient of friction at lower temperatures along with very progressive brake modulation and release characteristics. Many drivers use the AX6™ for street driving as well, even though Carbotech™ doesn't recommend street driving with AX6™ due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise. AX6™ is NOT recommended as a race compound in most applications.

Carbotech™ XP8™

A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range of 200°F-1250°F+ (93°C to 676°C+). Carbotech™ XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Good initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance and very rotor friendly. Perfect for track day use with any tire and can still be driven safely to and from the track. Carbotech™ does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. Carbotech™ XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.
Do you have any first hand experience with these brakes? Or done autocross? What do you run on your corvette?
Old 05-03-2015, 10:59 AM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly the HP+ has the best torque of any of the pads I've tried. They definitely should not be used for a long track stint, but for autocross, they are my favorite. Any chance the calipers or backing plates just need a bit of grease?

If you're dead set on some different pads, I have heard a lot of good things about both Hawk and Carbotech track pads (like the ones mentioned above).
Old 05-03-2015, 11:09 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by RadnessWarrior
Do you have any first hand experience with these brakes? Or done autocross? What do you run on your corvette?
Yes and yes I run Carbotech 1521 on the street XP10 and XP8 on track don't auto cross much any more. What can I help you out with?
Old 05-03-2015, 03:38 PM
JRL
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

For Autox, I tried HP+ but didn't like them, too much bite. I went back to OEM C5Z06 pad or Hawk HPS. YMMV
Old 05-03-2015, 10:29 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by JRL
For Autox, I tried HP+ but didn't like them, too much bite. I went back to OEM C5Z06 pad or Hawk HPS. YMMV
That is a puzzler as more bite is what I need.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:32 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by ltborg
Honestly the HP+ has the best torque of any of the pads I've tried. They definitely should not be used for a long track stint, but for autocross, they are my favorite. Any chance the calipers or backing plates just need a bit of grease?

If you're dead set on some different pads, I have heard a lot of good things about both Hawk and Carbotech track pads (like the ones mentioned above).
Well I guess I could go thru them & regrease. It seems like now they are about 1/2 way worn and don't clamp as hard as when I put them in.

I'll be putting my foot thru the floorboard & no abs (a7 grip) but not stopping like I want to. I use the pedal very much like a "switch" as they say, all or nothing.

Last edited by froggy47; 05-04-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:34 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com

Carbotech™ AX6™

Carbotech™ XP8™

Thanks,

the xp8 would probably not do well on the first run with cold brakes. Ax6 should be good.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:37 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I can get into ABS no matter what pad I've used with Hoosier A6's. I just replaced with stock Z06 pads again. The HP+ in the past was to much initial bite for me. Good luck.

Steve
Old 05-04-2015, 06:07 AM
talon95
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My experience with the HPS is similar. They have just enough TQ to get in to the ABS with A6's, but I have to stand on the pedal pretty hard. The upside is they are easy to modulate and brake while turning which IMO is essential for autox. At least National level style courses where there are few places to brake (or accelerate) in a straight line.

I had XP8's at one point from doing some track events. On some surfaces for autox, they would ice mode pretty easily. I definitely wouldn't want them.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:58 AM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

Have you tried Ferodo DS2500? They are great for autoX, with good bite cold, easy to modulate, and even mild enough to leave in for daily driving (I run them in my Gen. 1 CTS-V with an LS6) You can even get away with them for light track duty on street tires.

We sell a ton of these pads specifically for AutoX..,great pad from a extremely consistent manufacturer that has been producing top notch pads for a very long time.

We even have the rears on sale now...50% off with the purchase of the fronts.

Front ds2500 for c5z
http://www.essexparts.com/fcp1553h.html

Rear ds2500 for c5z
http://www.essexparts.com/fcp1563h.html
Old 05-04-2015, 09:11 AM
firebirdfan
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm currently debating the Ferodo DS2500 against the Carbotech AX6.

Anyone tried both pads? There's a $100 difference between the sets. Is the Ferodo that much better?

I've driven my buddy's C6 with AX6 pads and absolutely loved the way they grabbed. Have yet to experience one with the DS2500.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:15 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by firebirdfan
I'm currently debating the Ferodo DS2500 against the Carbotech AX6.

Anyone tried both pads? There's a $100 difference between the sets. Is the Ferodo that much better?

I've driven my buddy's C6 with AX6 pads and absolutely loved the way they grabbed. Have yet to experience one with the DS2500.
If you decide on Carbotech give me a call.. I have never used the DS2500 Im bias to Carbotech sorry....
Old 05-04-2015, 10:21 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
I can get into ABS no matter what pad I've used with Hoosier A6's. I just replaced with stock Z06 pads again. The HP+ in the past was to much initial bite for me. Good luck.

Steve
Thanks Steve.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:29 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Just to clarify & it happened yesterday also, at my chosen braking point I "switch" on the brakes, initial bite is very good, but then, say, I went a touch too deep & need to scrub a little more speed off, if I stay "standing on the brakes" they do not go abs & do not slow me enough to execute the desired apex line.

The car pushes a little but to me it's not really front grip/alignment/driver etc. (maybe a little driver) but it's just that I need a touch more torque on the rotor, I would expect to be into abs at this point (good corner grip) but the brakes just seem to "give up" (HP+).
Old 05-04-2015, 11:08 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

That could be ice mode. Or it's possible your EBCTM is getting glitchy. Your pads might have more bite than you think and if you stab the brakes it might be going into ice mode. Another reason to try something with less initial bite. And squeeze the pedal trying to maintain tire grip on the pavement instead of hitting the brakes too quickly. Might be worth a try.

Get notified of new replies

To Better autox pads for c5z

Old 05-04-2015, 12:21 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by redtopz
That could be ice mode. Or it's possible your EBCTM is getting glitchy. Your pads might have more bite than you think and if you stab the brakes it might be going into ice mode. Another reason to try something with less initial bite. And squeeze the pedal trying to maintain tire grip on the pavement instead of hitting the brakes too quickly. Might be worth a try.
Thanks, not ice mode, I know the difference, have had it happen.

Plenty of tire grip, squeeze the pedal on in autox and the event is over. You have to be extremely hard & deliberate (IMO) different braking from track events.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:29 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

There is so much going on when racing, sometimes you just don't get the facts right. Go out in a controlled area and see what the brakes do. Try them many times until you know exactly what's going on.

Steve
Old 05-04-2015, 12:40 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
There is so much going on when racing, sometimes you just don't get the facts right. Go out in a controlled area and see what the brakes do. Try them many times until you know exactly what's going on.

Steve
True enough, thanks!

Me & Richard & Kris R. are going to have a battle all season long.

Gonna be "Crazy Train" all season.

Last edited by froggy47; 05-04-2015 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Better autox pads for c5z