Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wilwood H compound pad not releasing rotor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 02:56 PM
wtb-z
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Wilwood H compound pad not releasing rotor?

Car: Stock C5 brakes, 100-200TW tires.

I am on my second set of Wilwood H front pads, which I have been pretty happy with so far.

Recently, however, I noticed something that seemed off regarding the brakes.

While the car is parked with a front wheel in the air, it is pretty hard to turn the hub/rotor/wheel assembly. It will turn, but there is enough drag to make it pretty hard to do by hand.
The pads seem to be grabbing the rotor, even with no brake pressure. Compress the caliper a bit (as if changing pads) and the assembly will start to turn easily.

Is this normal behaviour? I haven't noticed any other issues, but other race pads I have used before (Hawk DTC, mostly, and Project Mu) have not done this. With a wheel in the air the hub/rotor/wheel assembly would always spin pretty easily, cold or warm.

Thoughts?
Old 05-03-2015, 03:46 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 771 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by wtb-z
Car: Stock C5 brakes, 100-200TW tires.

I am on my second set of Wilwood H front pads, which I have been pretty happy with so far.

Recently, however, I noticed something that seemed off regarding the brakes.

While the car is parked with a front wheel in the air, it is pretty hard to turn the hub/rotor/wheel assembly. It will turn, but there is enough drag to make it pretty hard to do by hand.
The pads seem to be grabbing the rotor, even with no brake pressure. Compress the caliper a bit (as if changing pads) and the assembly will start to turn easily.

Is this normal behaviour? I haven't noticed any other issues, but other race pads I have used before (Hawk DTC, mostly, and Project Mu) have not done this. With a wheel in the air the hub/rotor/wheel assembly would always spin pretty easily, cold or warm.

Thoughts?
I have a somewhat similar experience with the H compound. I just chalked it up to the rotor's rough surface from running this compound, and the lack of retractable lip seals in my (Wilwood) calipers.

I'm open to correction if I'm wrong in my assumptions here.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:14 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Been using Wilwood H pads for 10 years and never really noticed the phenomena you are describing. However, I probably wasn't really paying attention.

Bill
Old 05-03-2015, 07:50 PM
flash911
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Been using Wilwood H pads for 10 years and never really noticed the phenomena you are describing. However, I probably wasn't really paying attention.

Bill
From a general perspective - While it's common to see some brake pad 'drag' on a rotor, I've never seen it lock up to the point of not turning. I have seen master issues that caused the fronts to lock up.

The tow home was fun.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:11 AM
555ss
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

the thing to try is open the bleed and see if it is held with some pressure or not. do the calpier pistons push back easily or not the pad cannot "grab" with out some pressure on the pistons so it is either a hyd issue or tight pistons in the bore. I have used H pads for 5 years bent calipers and uprights but never had one drag with out the brake being applied...
Now my AP's on the other hand have anti knock back springs and they do have some drag.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:36 PM
wtb-z
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, all. Interesting split in experiences.

Originally Posted by 555ss
the thing to try is open the bleed and see if it is held with some pressure or not. do the calpier pistons push back easily or not the pad cannot "grab" with out some pressure on the pistons so it is either a hyd issue or tight pistons in the bore. I have used H pads for 5 years bent calipers and uprights but never had one drag with out the brake being applied...
Now my AP's on the other hand have anti knock back springs and they do have some drag.
My calipers have a lot of events on them at this point but I have not noticed difficulty in pushing the pistons back in. Last time I checked I still have intact dust boost on the pistons, although they are looking increasingly worse for wear.

I am pretty sure this rotor grabbiness did not happen with my street pads (HP+) in the caliper either, although I will sanity check.

Last edited by wtb-z; 05-04-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:04 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

May be time to rebuild the calipers with new O rings in the cylinder. They do require replacing even when not leaking. They can cause what you are describing.

Get notified of new replies

To Wilwood H compound pad not releasing rotor?

Quick Reply: Wilwood H compound pad not releasing rotor?