Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid-O

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 06:07 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Mid-O

Hi gents,

Any recommendations for close hotels near Mid-O?

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2015, 07:32 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Hi gents,

Any recommendations for close hotels near Mid-O?

Thanks!
Closest are Comfort Inn/quality Inn just off exit (165 I think) but they are old. I preference going to Hampton one exit up (169?) which is listed as Mansfield south. You can go back roads to track.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:15 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The cheapest (and therefore most popular) is the Travelodge on 71. And it shares a parking lot with a Mexican joint if you like good margaritas within stumbling distance of your pillow...

I usually stay at the Comfort inn north of the track on 30 because I have lots of reward points from other travels that work there. It's a good one if you're sharing because you can get a suite with separate rooms.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:45 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
The cheapest (and therefore most popular) is the Travelodge on 71. And it shares a parking lot with a Mexican joint if you like good margaritas within stumbling distance of your pillow...

I usually stay at the Comfort inn north of the track on 30 because I have lots of reward points from other travels that work there. It's a good one if you're sharing because you can get a suite with separate rooms.
Is the travelodge a dive? I stayed at one in mammoth lakes, Ca. and it was nasty
Old 05-07-2015, 01:00 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Naaah, not a dive. They redid most of the rooms recently. Although I was stuck in a smoking room last time and that was brutal. Book in advance...

It's clean, rooms have a fridge and a microwave, too. Although I unplugged the fridge because it was loud. Beds aren't sleep-number but I didn't have any trouble getting my beauty rest.

The worst thing is probably the bathrooms, they're a bit cramped and the shower heads are water savers. You know, the $3 ones from Home depot. They hit you in the chest if you're more than 5'2" tall and feel like little needles...
Old 05-07-2015, 10:59 PM
Deuce Man
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
Naaah, not a dive. They redid most of the rooms recently. Although I was stuck in a smoking room last time and that was brutal. Book in advance...

It's clean, rooms have a fridge and a microwave, too. Although I unplugged the fridge because it was loud. Beds aren't sleep-number but I didn't have any trouble getting my beauty rest.

The worst thing is probably the bathrooms, they're a bit cramped and the shower heads are water savers. You know, the $3 ones from Home depot. They hit you in the chest if you're more than 5'2" tall and feel like little needles...
lmao. 100% accurate description.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:36 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Any turn by turn guide to Mid-O on special gotchas to look out for or particular areas to gain time? My first time at Mid-O will be a qualifying session.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:07 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Couple quick things:

Start will be on the back straight, restart and finish is on the pit straight. That's unusual and unless you've seen lots of pro races there you may not know.

Watch oil pressure in turn one, it eats LS3's and the occasional LS6. If you're drysump'd then ignore this note.

People go very wide in the keyhole and carousel (the two 180 degree slow corners before both straights) and a 'vette will stick much tighter inside, ever without aero. Good passing opportunities in both entries but watch for the chop block.

Mid O curbs are very friendly, use them! In several corners the curb is under the middle of the car.

I'll abstain from specific line advice because everyone has a different opintion, but there are lots of good videos. IMO, this is the "line" if you're not in traffic. Ken Smith's laps from 2012 Nationals:

Last edited by ScaryFast; 05-08-2015 at 08:14 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Mid-O

Quick Reply: Mid-O