Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheapest BB kit? CTSV?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 12:32 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Cheapest BB kit? CTSV?

My buddy put some CTSV brakes on his G8 all 4 corners for about a grand. Not counting rotors/lines. Stops like a bullet hitting a steel plate.

Some Aussie race shop (Holden models) has brackets.

Seems Amazon has the yellow cheap as it's not a "popular" color.

Anyone try this on c5?

Nothing against the AP/Brembo/etc. kits and the vendors who sell them & guys who can afford to buy them. God Bless them all.

I just don't want to spend the mega $$ if I can get the same result for less than 1/2 price.

My calipers all end up brake dust black anyway.

Last edited by froggy47; 05-04-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:13 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Is the idea brake functionality and cost on track, or just filling the wheels on the street or autocross?

Takeoff c6z stuff is around 1k. I assume the ctsv is simmilar or identical. If you make your own brackets, wilwoods can be done for under $1500 and allow a bunch of different rotor sizes. In 5-10 track days the willwoods will makeup the difference in consumable costs. But on the street they probably would never pay for themselves.

Last edited by Socko; 05-04-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:11 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Socko
Is the idea brake functionality and cost on track, or just filling the wheels on the street or autocross?

Takeoff c6z stuff is around 1k. I assume the ctsv is simmilar or identical. If you make your own brackets, wilwoods can be done for under $1500 and allow a bunch of different rotor sizes. In 5-10 track days the willwoods will makeup the difference in consumable costs. But on the street they probably would never pay for themselves.
Just functionality.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:18 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

One of our local guys has done this with his GTO, which as you have noted is a Holden and the parts are readily available to do this swap. He said it made a big difference, but I've no idea how the stock GTO brakes would compare to ours to try to gauge the amount of improvement that we might see if we could do it. You're right in that it's really inexpensive to do though.

One note, his stock GTO wheels didn't clear the Caddy brakes. He had to find a set of 18 inch wheels with spokes shaped properly to clear. I don't know more on that or how different it would be from a c5. Probably a lot. I didn't ask, just remember he had a fairly difficult time finding wheels for the setup.

Another question to throw in there - are the CTS-V brakes a lot different than the c6 z06 brakes?

I sent my friend a note for any more information if he has it. Haven't heard from him yet.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:46 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
One of our local guys has done this with his GTO, which as you have noted is a Holden and the parts are readily available to do this swap. He said it made a big difference, but I've no idea how the stock GTO brakes would compare to ours to try to gauge the amount of improvement that we might see if we could do it. You're right in that it's really inexpensive to do though.

One note, his stock GTO wheels didn't clear the Caddy brakes. He had to find a set of 18 inch wheels with spokes shaped properly to clear. I don't know more on that or how different it would be from a c5. Probably a lot. I didn't ask, just remember he had a fairly difficult time finding wheels for the setup.

Another question to throw in there - are the CTS-V brakes a lot different than the c6 z06 brakes?

I sent my friend a note for any more information if he has it. Haven't heard from him yet.
I have ccw-14 that would probably fit, the spokes are all right out to outer rim edge & the rest I have are 18" c5 z06 stock. The ctsv calipers don't "look" that big, sure would like to see if anyone has done it or tried.

c6z take off is fine also, but haven't seen any offered, but haven't looked that much either.

Not a padlet fan.

Last edited by froggy47; 05-04-2015 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:21 PM
Ludeaem
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Froggy i'll be in your shoes soon enough so i've done some researching. For me it comes down to two options as far as C6 Z06/GS calipers

Amazon.com: ACDelco 172-2573 GM Original Equipment Red Front Disc Brake Caliper: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 172-2573 GM Original Equipment Red Front Disc Brake Caliper: Automotive

or rebuilt ones from an Autoparts store

http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-t...3_2362_157672/
Old 05-04-2015, 06:31 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ludeaem
Froggy i'll be in your shoes soon enough so i've done some researching. For me it comes down to two options as far as C6 Z06/GS calipers

Amazon.com: ACDelco 172-2573 GM Original Equipment Red Front Disc Brake Caliper: Automotive

or rebuilt ones from an Autoparts store

http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-t...3_2362_157672/

NOOB question but is the c6z a 3 piston sliding caliper? And the ctsv is a 4 piston fixed?

I think the ctsv is also an alum mono block. With the extra weight (of the car) seems like the ctsv is "more caliper".

I want to get away from the sliding caliper short comings actually.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:08 PM
Ludeaem
Racer

The c6 z06 caliper is sliding but its a 6 pot not 3. Here is an interesting read that may help

There are 2 aspects of caliper design that effects performance and feel,

1. Piston area

2. Caliper stiffness

As you can imagine greater piston area translates to greater force. Now if you just have one large piston this gives you a situation where the distance from the center of the piston from the bridge (top strap) of the caliper is large.

By going to multiple pistons you can have the same area as 1 larger piston, but the distance from center to bridge is less.

This means less flex in the caliper since the moment arm is smaller. It's the "lever effect."

The difference between a slider and a fixed is that a fixed is by it's very nature stiffer in design and allows for more than 2 pistons per side.

A slider has issues when the length of the caliper becomes to long as it tends not to move evenly on the guide pins. A fixed caliper does not have this problem, since it doesn't slide.

A fixed caliper tends to be lighter for any given piston area, but not by much compared to the aluminum sliding caliper of the C6.

So the real benefits are the ability to have a 6-piston design with much improved caliper stiffness and therefore, better pad to rotor contact.

This gives you better pedal feel, easier modulation and more consistent performance.

The drawback, higher cost and in the case of the monobloc Z06 caliper, MUCH HIGHER COST.

The difference between a monobloc and 2-piece fixed caliper (which is the most common of the fixed calipers)?

Again stiffness and reduced weight for any given piston area.

There is also a packaging advantage with fixed since fixed caliper have lower profiles, but they are also wider. So you can fit a bigger rotor in any given wheel, but some spoke designs will not clear the side of the caliper.

Sliders are used because they are still a very robust design for street use, offer performance close to if not equal to a fixed and cost much less.

But for the ultimate in feel, consistency and performance a fixed (especially a monobloc) has the edge, question, how much of a premium are you willing to pay for that edge?
Old 05-04-2015, 11:10 PM
Socko
Pro

ahh i see. the ctsv is a 4 fixed piston f/r like the camaro. The c6z is 6 front 4 rear fixed.

The c6z pads are insanely expensive. You can get single pads to replace the padlets, but they are very costly and not a ton of material relative to price. I have also heard they aren't great. I cant imagine the camaro brakes are all that great either on a race track. My assumption is autocross puts a totally different load on the brakes then the track or the street but I really don't know.

As long as you have wheel clearance the c6z stuff bolts right onto a c5. Just find someone selling them in the c6 for sale section, they come up pretty regular as they aren't truely track worthy, or at least that is the word. The cheap c6z blanks are 27ish lbs vs 19ish for regular c5 blanks so that's a LARGE weight penalty for compeditive racing.

I would think for autocross, you don't need a large heatsink or super cheap consumabiles cause how much pad can you use in 10-20 minutes a weekend? You just need a rigid caliper and light rotors. So something like the fnsl6r would be optimal. Vansteel has brackets for then for $250 i think. Be under 1k and end up with legit calipers. Only thing you are missing is the pads with more volume,the narrow takes a 16.5mm pad vs 20mm pad, which I don't think is the hugest issue for autocross, but as stated i don't know.

Last edited by Socko; 05-04-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:32 PM
froggy47
Race Director

ahh i see. the ctsv is a 4 fixed piston f/r like the camaro. The c6z is 6 front 4 rear fixed.

The c6z pads are insanely expensive. You can get single pads to replace the padlets, but they are very costly and not a ton of material relative to price. I have also heard they aren't great. I cant imagine the camaro brakes are all that great either on a race track. My assumption is autocross puts a totally different load on the brakes then the track or the street but I really don't know.

As long as you have wheel clearance the c6z stuff bolts right onto a c5. Just find someone selling them in the c6 for sale section, they come up pretty regular as they aren't truely track worthy, or at least that is the word. The cheap c6z blanks are 27ish lbs vs 19ish for regular c5 blanks so that's a LARGE weight penalty for compeditive racing.

I would think for autocross, you don't need a large heatsink or super cheap consumabiles cause how much pad can you use in 10-20 minutes a weekend? You just need a rigid caliper and light rotors. So something like the fnsl6r would be optimal. Vansteel has brackets for then for $250 i think. Be under 1k and end up with legit calipers. Only thing you are missing is the pads with more volume,the narrow takes a 16.5mm pad vs 20mm pad, which I don't think is the hugest issue for autocross, but as stated i don't know.
What is

something like the fnsl6r would be optimal

The pad cost is not as big a deal as for track guys because as you said you don't use them up so fast, but a lot of us do street drive the same pads (they work good cold).

The main thing is the pads taper because the oem PBR caliper is really not even up to autox standards.

The ctsv does look like a damn stout piece especially for the money they want for yellows.

I agree I don't like the rotor weight of the c6z, not sure what the ctsv rotor would weigh?

Last edited by froggy47; 05-04-2015 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:00 AM
Socko
Pro

http://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/Cali...subname=FNSL6R

That is the caliper i am thinking of. They fit under 17" c5z wheels. The pads are short and the pistons are sized to eliminate front to rear taper. The outside to inside taper is managed by a stiff body and the fact that it is a fixed caliper not a slider that the outside forks bend like the c5 pbr's.

Call van steel and talk to them guys, they helped me a ton and are really nice and willing to help. I don't think the brackets are on their page but they sent me pictures of them on a mockup spindle with a stock 12.8" c5 rotor and it all fits, he said they have them in stock.

Calipers are 327 each on summit. The lines are 60. Might need a few jetnuts and shims, still be under 1k said and done, for a light caliper with reasonable pads that doesn't have taper issues.

Wilwood makes a proper kit with a different offset hatted rotor, but imo that makes no sense as it costs quite a bit more, maybe it makes sense for you.

kns makes a kit too its like 1150 with the wide caliper that takes the larger pads. It fits under the 17's but the 18's are sketchy as it is a spoke clearance issue. They have them on their page and in the forums someplace.

My buddy made me a bracket for the wide calipers so my whole front setup cost me under $700 cause my buddy had the 6061-t6 laying around and i have some reasonable ability to measure and draw in solidworks.

Last edited by Socko; 05-05-2015 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:40 PM
froggy47
Race Director

http://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/Cali...subname=FNSL6R

That is the caliper i am thinking of. They fit under 17" c5z wheels. The pads are short and the pistons are sized to eliminate front to rear taper. The outside to inside taper is managed by a stiff body and the fact that it is a fixed caliper not a slider that the outside forks bend like the c5 pbr's.

Call van steel and talk to them guys, they helped me a ton and are really nice and willing to help. I don't think the brackets are on their page but they sent me pictures of them on a mockup spindle with a stock 12.8" c5 rotor and it all fits, he said they have them in stock.

Calipers are 327 each on summit. The lines are 60. Might need a few jetnuts and shims, still be under 1k said and done, for a light caliper with reasonable pads that doesn't have taper issues.

Wilwood makes a proper kit with a different offset hatted rotor, but imo that makes no sense as it costs quite a bit more, maybe it makes sense for you.

kns makes a kit too its like 1150 with the wide caliper that takes the larger pads. It fits under the 17's but the 18's are sketchy as it is a spoke clearance issue. They have them on their page and in the forums someplace.

My buddy made me a bracket for the wide calipers so my whole front setup cost me under $700 cause my buddy had the 6061-t6 laying around and i have some reasonable ability to measure and draw in solidworks.
Budget is my middle name, hence why I started this thread, those might do well, the thing is I don't want to end up spending more on pads, the Hawk ones (low prices) work fine up until the PBR calipers cause taper.

Do you know if there are Hawk pads that fit this caliper, by any chance?

Old 05-05-2015, 01:44 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ludeaem
The c6 z06 caliper is sliding but its a 6 pot not 3. Here is an interesting read that may help

There are 2 aspects of caliper design that effects performance and feel,

1. Piston area

2. Caliper stiffness

As you can imagine greater piston area translates to greater force. Now if you just have one large piston this gives you a situation where the distance from the center of the piston from the bridge (top strap) of the caliper is large.

By going to multiple pistons you can have the same area as 1 larger piston, but the distance from center to bridge is less.

This means less flex in the caliper since the moment arm is smaller. It's the "lever effect."

The difference between a slider and a fixed is that a fixed is by it's very nature stiffer in design and allows for more than 2 pistons per side.

A slider has issues when the length of the caliper becomes to long as it tends not to move evenly on the guide pins. A fixed caliper does not have this problem, since it doesn't slide.

A fixed caliper tends to be lighter for any given piston area, but not by much compared to the aluminum sliding caliper of the C6.

So the real benefits are the ability to have a 6-piston design with much improved caliper stiffness and therefore, better pad to rotor contact.

This gives you better pedal feel, easier modulation and more consistent performance.

The drawback, higher cost and in the case of the monobloc Z06 caliper, MUCH HIGHER COST.

The difference between a monobloc and 2-piece fixed caliper (which is the most common of the fixed calipers)?

Again stiffness and reduced weight for any given piston area.

There is also a packaging advantage with fixed since fixed caliper have lower profiles, but they are also wider. So you can fit a bigger rotor in any given wheel, but some spoke designs will not clear the side of the caliper.

Sliders are used because they are still a very robust design for street use, offer performance close to if not equal to a fixed and cost much less.

But for the ultimate in feel, consistency and performance a fixed (especially a monobloc) has the edge, question, how much of a premium are you willing to pay for that edge?
THANKS! for the lesson, great stuff.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:19 PM
Socko
Pro

the narrow sl6 pads are 7416's. As far as i am aware all track pad makers make them.

Hawk makes them per their page. No idea what compound you run but they have a few.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:16 AM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
Budget is my middle name, hence why I started this thread, those might do well, the thing is I don't want to end up spending more on pads, the Hawk ones (low prices) work fine up until the PBR calipers cause taper.

Do you know if there are Hawk pads that fit this caliper, by any chance?

I am running the 04/05 CTSV Brembo's 4 piston setup on my Camaro AI car. Plenty of stopping power. Hawk makes replacement race pads to fit and the cost is a fraction of the cost of the BBK pads I use on the Vette. Rotors are cheap as well.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:50 AM
LateBreak
Pro

I've looked into this a bit but couldn't find anything promising about getting the V calipers to fit on a Vette.

That said, I put C6 base calipers (Stiffer than C5) on my car with DRM stainless pistons and have been really happy with the braking. C6 base rotors have a better hat profile that helps reduce cracking tendencies versus the 'flat hat' they used on the C5. Combined with ST43 pads and Permatex High-temp purple caliper grease on the moving components I've been EXTREMELY happy with the braking on my C5. The brakes easily out-perform my Direzza Z2* tires and don't seem to fall off throughout the day. Even with my belts cinched tight, it pulls my torso off the seat on deep braking. You could do this setup for about $600 complete with brand new calipers and rotors from Amazon and braided hoses from DRM.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:42 PM
froggy47
Race Director

the narrow sl6 pads are 7416's. As far as i am aware all track pad makers make them.

Hawk makes them per their page. No idea what compound you run but they have a few.
HP+ has been fine FOR AUTOX for many years but pad taper seems to be rearing it's head more. PBR's seem to cause it.

Get notified of new replies

To Cheapest BB kit? CTSV?

Old 05-06-2015, 12:48 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Corvee
I am running the 04/05 CTSV Brembo's 4 piston setup on my Camaro AI car. Plenty of stopping power. Hawk makes replacement race pads to fit and the cost is a fraction of the cost of the BBK pads I use on the Vette. Rotors are cheap as well.
My preliminary opinion based strictly on web research & guys who put them on other cars is that they would be awesome on a c5 or c6. But I'm not able to fabricate what is needed to bolt them on.

The c6z bolt on, so I am told, but are HEAVY compared to what I have now, & maybe heavy compared to CTSV (not sure what CTSV weigh).

HEAVY front wheels/rotors/pads/shocks/calipers/etc is not a happy place for an autox car.

Still looking.

Last edited by froggy47; 05-06-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:52 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by LateBreak
I've looked into this a bit but couldn't find anything promising about getting the V calipers to fit on a Vette.

That said, I put C6 base calipers (Stiffer than C5) on my car with DRM stainless pistons and have been really happy with the braking. C6 base rotors have a better hat profile that helps reduce cracking tendencies versus the 'flat hat' they used on the C5. Combined with ST43 pads and Permatex High-temp purple caliper grease on the moving components I've been EXTREMELY happy with the braking on my C5. The brakes easily out-perform my Direzza Z2* tires and don't seem to fall off throughout the day. Even with my belts cinched tight, it pulls my torso off the seat on deep braking. You could do this setup for about $600 complete with brand new calipers and rotors from Amazon and braided hoses from DRM.
Did you weigh the calipers & rotors by any chance? Did they bolt on (no bracket)? What is the rotor size? Did you leave the stock rear setup? Sorry for all the questions, this might be "just enough" for my situation without going to heavy bbk or c6z.

Last edited by froggy47; 05-06-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:03 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

subscribed...

Quick Reply: Cheapest BB kit? CTSV?