Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hardbar T1 brakes - need help sourcing part and a question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 03:35 PM
akilbrid
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hardbar T1 brakes - need help sourcing part and a question.

I purchased a set of rear hardbar T1 calipers for my C5. They did not come with the mounting brackets, which I have been trying to source to no avail. Any idea where I can get these?

The other question I have is will these work like the Essex designed kit where front/rear brake bias remains the same as OEM? Or am I going to need to adjust the brake bias with a new brake master?

Any input from people that have this setup would be greatly appreciated. I am a bit lost where to go at this point.

Last edited by akilbrid; 05-04-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:37 PM
Timothy Lottes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I'm remembering right the rears and front calipers are the same for the Hardbar kit and same as the similar Essex kit at the time (I'm running a pair of Hardbar AP T1 kits on all four wheels). However the hat and rotor mounting is different: for example Hardbar does not have anti-knockback spring clips. I don't know about the caliper mounting. I'd advise just calling Essex and see what your options are.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:11 PM
akilbrid
Instructor

Originally Posted by Timothy Lottes
If I'm remembering right the rears and front calipers are the same for the Hardbar kit and same as the similar Essex kit at the time (I'm running a pair of Hardbar AP T1 kits on all four wheels). However the hat and rotor mounting is different: for example Hardbar does not have anti-knockback spring clips. I don't know about the caliper mounting. I'd advise just calling Essex and see what your options are.
Thanks for the info. So you are using the T1 kit on all fours? Is the Hardbar T1 front caliper bracket working for your rear setup?

I did contact Essex and they told me these two systems (Hardbar and Essex) are completely different down the the calipers, rotors, hats, brackets... I find the bracket part hard to believe since they both use the CP8350 caliper and both setups mount where OEM rotors can be used if desired.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:29 AM
Timothy Lottes
Advanced

Originally Posted by akilbrid
Thanks for the info. So you are using the T1 kit on all fours? Is the Hardbar T1 front caliper bracket working for your rear setup?

I did contact Essex and they told me these two systems (Hardbar and Essex) are completely different down the the calipers, rotors, hats, brackets... I find the bracket part hard to believe since they both use the CP8350 caliper and both setups mount where OEM rotors can be used if desired.
I am running the Hardbar AP T1 front kit on the rear as well. In hindsight I didn't know Hardbar was going to disappear when I purchased them. Wish I would have gotten the Essex ones.

Looks like I'm wrong, only the rotors are the same. Caliper according to Essex has different bosses compared to the Hardbar version,

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1584556172

" Completely different disc hat design- uses spring clips to prevent knockback as well as low speed rattling noises

Competely different bracket design- uses studs and nests further into the caliper

Caliper has shorter stainless steel bosses on the bottom allowing it to nest more closely with bracket

The only things that are exactly same are the iron disc rings. Everything else was built from scratch or modified in some manner. "
Old 05-05-2015, 12:48 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

there was another guy who needed a hardbard t1 bracket and he had some made up. maybe he can get acouple more for you?
Old 05-05-2015, 10:35 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't throw good $$ after bad. Toss them out and start over unless you want to build a morphodite with a kludge of miss-match parts.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:40 AM
akilbrid
Instructor

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm thinking about selling these rear t1 calipers and just running the fronts which are complete. This is getting too complex of a project for me to undertake. I will be posting the brand new calipers (ap racing CP8350) in the for sale section shortly so if you know anyone that needs these let me know soon.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:13 PM
akilbrid
Instructor

One other question: Does anyone know the proper torque to put on the hat/rotor bolts?

It's weird, when I pick up the rotors can hear the hats moving ever so slightly. Is that normal? I know the rotors are designed to expand out as they heat up, but will this be a problem for street driving?
Old 05-05-2015, 05:33 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

One other question: Does anyone know the proper torque to put on the hat/rotor bolts?

It's weird, when I pick up the rotors can hear the hats moving ever so slightly. Is that normal? I know the rotors are designed to expand out as they heat up, but will this be a problem for street driving?
Two piece rotors in general and the Hardbar/AP combo of hat and rotor specifically are very annoying on street - they clearly produce a 'clinking' sound at low (parking lot) speeds.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:56 PM
akilbrid
Instructor

Originally Posted by argonaut
Two piece rotors in general and the Hardbar/AP combo of hat and rotor specifically are very annoying on street - they clearly produce a 'clinking' sound at low (parking lot) speeds.
Is it a constant clinking or just when braking is started?
Old 05-06-2015, 09:30 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Is it a constant clinking or just when braking is started?
Constant. Just driving down the street slowly with windows open they rattle/clink/<insert adjective here>. With the Hardbar T1 hats this is normal, albeit totally annoying - many, many of the original T1 kit buyers have complained of this. To be sure - it doesn't effect performance - just an annoyance.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:39 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its a shame I just found this thread. We just bought a second pair of 'Hardbar' calipers from Essex (might have been the only ones they had).

Torque spec on the rotor bolts is 10 ft lbs or 120 inch lbs.....per Dan at Essex
Old 05-06-2015, 03:57 PM
akilbrid
Instructor

Originally Posted by CP Thunder
Its a shame I just found this thread. We just bought a second pair of 'Hardbar' calipers from Essex (might have been the only ones they had).

Torque spec on the rotor bolts is 10 ft lbs or 120 inch lbs.....per Dan at Essex
Want a third?!

I will be posting the entire front/rear setup I bought on the forums tonight. It's too hardcore for what I need. Probably going to go C6Z06 brake setup instead. I'm sure everything will find a nice home. I thank everyone for the invaluable information. The corvette forums are definitely the friendliest forums on the net. I've dealt with Honda, BMW, and others.....You guys are the best hands down with helping people out.

What I'll be selling:
Harbar T1/ AP Racing Front CP8350 Calipers x 2 (Very low use, maybe 3 sessions)
Harbar T1 Front Brackets X 2 (Very low use, maybe 3 sessions)
Hardbar T1 Front Rotors/ Hats/ etc X 2 (Very low use, maybe 3 sessions)
Hardbar T1 /AP Racing CP8350 setup to run in rear x 2 (BRAND NEW)

So all you will need to complete this is rear rotors and rear brackets for the CP8350 calipers.

Last edited by akilbrid; 05-06-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:33 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

what are the piston sizes on those rear calipers?
Old 05-06-2015, 06:41 PM
aim
Intermediate

I used the AP T1 kit in the back of my C6 Z06, upgrade to AP racing CP5260 in the front, I was able to use the same front mounting brackets in the back with some minor trimming, and just flip the bleeding nipples and hydraulic tube on the calipers. I thinks those T1 kits are much much better than C6Z06 brakes.

Want a third?!

I will be posting the entire front/rear setup I bought on the forums tonight. It's too hardcore for what I need. Probably going to go C6Z06 brake setup instead. I'm sure everything will find a nice home. I thank everyone for the invaluable information. The corvette forums are definitely the friendliest forums on the net. I've dealt with Honda, BMW, and others.....You guys are the best hands down with helping people out.

What I'll be selling:
Harbar T1/ AP Racing Front CP8350 Calipers x 2 (Very low use, maybe 3 sessions)
Harbar T1 Front Brackets X 2 (Very low use, maybe 3 sessions)
Hardbar T1 Front Rotors/ Hats/ etc X 2 (Very low use, maybe 3 sessions)
Hardbar T1 /AP Racing CP8350 setup to run in rear x 2 (BRAND NEW)

So all you will need to complete this is rear rotors and rear brackets for the CP8350 calipers.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:00 PM
akilbrid
Instructor

Originally Posted by trackboss
what are the piston sizes on those rear calipers?
same as the fronts, only the big piston / little pistons are in a reverse order.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:15 PM
akilbrid
Instructor

Parts are posted for sale in autocross/racing classifieds and C5 parts for sale .

Ordering the c6z brakes and I'm done with it!
Old 05-07-2015, 12:18 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by aim
I used the AP T1 kit in the back of my C6 Z06, upgrade to AP racing CP5260 in the front, I was able to use the same front mounting brackets in the back with some minor trimming, and just flip the bleeding nipples and hydraulic tube on the calipers. I thinks those T1 kits are much much better than C6Z06 brakes.
yep had a friend who did this also just switch the crossover pipe and the bleed screws around and there ya go for another set of fronts

Get notified of new replies

To Hardbar T1 brakes - need help sourcing part and a question.

Quick Reply: Hardbar T1 brakes - need help sourcing part and a question.