Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheel size setup

Old 05-12-2015, 06:44 AM
starfire54
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel size setup

I am looking to track my 99 FRC and have little experience with correct wheel setup. Bob at house of wheels is pushing 18's on all for corners. Will this be the best setup. I have found that tire availability to be limited. I want to run 275 35 18 on the front and 305 35 18 on the rear. I will be attending driving school to get the correct training.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:16 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

18x10.5 on all four corners is a popular setup. Rather than staggering the tire size though, many of us choose to run the same size at both ends to allow for tire rotation - in an effort to maixmize the life. The lowest cost but still high quality rims to do this with are the C5 Z06 rears. Lightweight and strong - you can still get them new for $300 a rim and used for a bit cheaper (although they tend to sell very quickly when posted).

The other good option on your car (assuming you have the stock front brakes) is to use the C5 Z06 fronts. They are 17x9.5 and can be had very cheap - used they go for about $100. You could use these on all four corners although most folks who are using 17s do so only on the front.

As for tires - when starting out in high performance driving its best to use street tires rather than slicks. There are many good choices in tires and price ranges - search a bit and you will find an innumerable number of threads on the topic.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:53 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you can be flexible on the sizes you want, you can run anything from a 285 to a 315 on the 18x10.5" rears. Try to keep diameter between about 25.5 and 26.5" so it's not too far off from stock. I 2nd the idea of running same size at all 4 corners. Been doing that for several years now - lots of threads up here on that topic.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:06 AM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
I 2nd the idea of running same size at all 4 corners. Been doing that for several years now - lots of threads up here on that topic.

Get notified of new replies

To wheel size setup

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wheel size setup