Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone try removing motor from bottom without a lift?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 11:43 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Anyone try removing motor from bottom without a lift?

I took mine out from the top and it will be at least 3 weeks before it is ready to install. Now it just sits in my garage awaiting motor and then taking to shop for reinstall. 100% positive I do not want to put it back from the top again. Can body be lifted safely with jacks and stands enough to remove drive chassis without using a lift? Just curious if anyone has tried it. Found nothing on search.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:00 AM
Armycop
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW I found installing my motor from the top not that bad. A cherry picker is a must, and lowering the front cradle on their bolts as far as it'll go without coming off made aligning the TT and bellhousing much easier. Didn't have to remove the steering rack either.
Coming in from the bottom means mounting the engine/front cradle together, then bringing that mess up to the car. Without a lift I don't see it being very labor-friendly.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:39 PM
flash911
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm trying to picture how you would jack the car up high enough, and then support it with stands to clear the engine and cradle?

It feels like the more I wrench the dumber I get.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:24 PM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have done it from bottom once.. the first and last time. just to crazy on jack stands.
I have now done it from top 4-5 times.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:12 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I removed everything from the bottom. I have a regular "big" jacks and regular "big" jackstands, but nothing crazy. I also used a trans jack. It was pretty straightforward, but frame rail to engine clearance gets tight as you are dropping the engine, so you will need nudge the drivetrain forward. Of course also watch the firewall. Once lowered, the engine and bellhousing were disconnected. **I don't have the OEM lower radiator cradle, so it was really easy to roll the engine forward and out.
Haven't decided which way to reinstall, thinking I might also go from the bottom but it will depend on how big of a PITA it is to mate the input shaft/bellhousing.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:26 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

The mating input shaft/bellhousing was my issue from last install. It was really hard to get it mounted going in from the top. Got it close enough to pull together with bellhousing bolts, but ended up tearing down 2 mos later to repl pilot bearing. That is why I want to avoid going in from top. I have a shop lined up to install from the bottom, but I would like to save myself the $$s by doing myself if I could without tearing anything up again.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone try removing motor from bottom without a lift?

Quick Reply: Anyone try removing motor from bottom without a lift?