Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking power steering control valve can you change seal in place

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 08:27 PM
Buzartiano
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Leaking power steering control valve can you change seal in place

2011 z06 leaking at end of steering column
anyway to change this seal or does it all have to come out
any idea on part number etc.
Thanks
Attached Images      
Old 05-22-2015, 02:58 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

GM services steering gear by replacement. If you can find a seal kit, gear should be removed to install it. You most likely need to remove pinion to get seal out. Valve*seals maybe damaged when pinion comes out. You will need seal sizer to install. Procedure will be similar to the "Morning Sickness" Power steering recall of the 80's. I suggest to get a good remanufactured steering gear. Good Luck
Old 05-25-2015, 08:29 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hum, it sucks to be you I know 'cause I've been there. Uh, I'm still there. I bought a GM refurbished rack for my 2006 Z and it immediately started leaking out of the seal where the wires come out. What I ultimately ended up doing was to get a another rebuilt replacement steering rack from GM and sending it off to TurnOne to have it rebuilt (yes, again). The rebuild process is $275 + but takes 3-5 weeks. I expect it back this week.

Someone told me that GM does not even sell new racks anymore, but I don't know that to be correct. Based on my limited experience with the GM rebuilt racks (1) I would not go to the expense of installing it (5 hrs of labor).

Maybe I can help. I'll call my friendly GM parts manager and ask how much the core charge is if I don't return the core. If you are interested in paying that price plus shipping, I'll send the rack to TurnOne for you. Of course, this all depends on how badly your rack is leaking because your are looking at 3-5 weeks after I replace my rack.

If interested, PM me.

Jim
Old 05-27-2015, 08:35 PM
Buzartiano
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jlutherva
Hum, it sucks to be you I know 'cause I've been there. Uh, I'm still there. I bought a GM refurbished rack for my 2006 Z and it immediately started leaking out of the seal where the wires come out. What I ultimately ended up doing was to get a another rebuilt replacement steering rack from GM and sending it off to TurnOne to have it rebuilt (yes, again). The rebuild process is $275 + but takes 3-5 weeks. I expect it back this week.

Someone told me that GM does not even sell new racks anymore, but I don't know that to be correct. Based on my limited experience with the GM rebuilt racks (1) I would not go to the expense of installing it (5 hrs of labor).

Maybe I can help. I'll call my friendly GM parts manager and ask how much the core charge is if I don't return the core. If you are interested in paying that price plus shipping, I'll send the rack to TurnOne for you. Of course, this all depends on how badly your rack is leaking because your are looking at 3-5 weeks after I replace my rack.

If interested, PM me.

Jim
sounds good sent you a PM

Get notified of new replies

To Leaking power steering control valve can you change seal in place

Quick Reply: Leaking power steering control valve can you change seal in place