Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto-X insurance

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 11:54 PM
dsharkman
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Auto-X insurance

Who do you use for Auto-X insurance for your car? AAA doesn't cover auto-X or track events.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:24 AM
Xian
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dsharkman
Who do you use for Auto-X insurance for your car? AAA doesn't cover auto-X or track events.
Last I checked essentially every insurance provider has an exclusion for damage sustained at "timed events" or "on a race track even if not being timed". This being said, some folks have managed to file a claim and get it paid out but there's no guarantee.

Personally, the odds of wrecking my car at an autox are plenty low to be acceptable to me. On track is a higher risk environment though and I know some folks who opt for daily track insurance. It's not terribly expensive really (about the same cost as the DE).
Old 05-22-2015, 08:47 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Call Adam at the National Corvette Museum. 877-678-7626

You may not need track insurance for an autocross event but you might consider an STP policy for getting to the event.

Adam can answer all of these questions.

Richard Newton
Old 05-23-2015, 12:01 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by dsharkman
I know accidents happen at autox, I have been doing it 10 years & have seen several, having said that, they are quite rare & if you are getting a sense you need insurance, I would find a different group to autox with. Unless you are the type who buys insurance for everything (no judgement) then I don't know of any.

AAA cracks me up, as they are a MAJOR sponsor for many racing series.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:53 AM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Hagerty will. Just be ready for the pain of the cost.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:27 AM
Midwayman
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 48 Posts

Risk at auto x is so low that I dont bother. Hagerty autox insurance isn't that bad though. I quoted once and it was about what I paid for a single track day for the whole season.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:02 AM
rentedmule
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hagerty refused to even consider covering my firebird in any way when I mentioned auto-x, despite them sponsoring some events I run in. I even stated that I didn't expect to be insured while racing and they flat out refused any coverage. I very politely mentioned the hypocrisy and they avoided engaging in a discussion. I even had an existing policy with them for my mustang.

I would be very, very careful about mentioning any sort of racing or modifications with your insurance company.
Old 03-21-2024, 12:51 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I've had Hagerty for quite a few years now and they know I do autocrossing with both of my vettes. They just explicitly stated I was not covered while on track. I'm covered on the way to/from the event and in the paddock.

I don't' bother with autocross insurance. Something can happen, but usually there are not any incidents. I think it's been about 10 years since we've had an incident at one of our events where a car got damaged. And in that incident a car hit my dad's enclosed trailer we were using for timing. Our event insurance covered the timing equipment, so it covered the damage to our trailer.
The following users liked this post:
69427 (03-21-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 02:35 PM
Elektro
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Xian
the odds of wrecking my car at an autox are plenty low to be acceptable to me.
I do the kind of autocross with a couple of traffic cones in a wide open parking lot or empty airstrip so I'd agree with you. However I've also seen those autocross on youtube where they are driving around jersey barriers instead of cones (good guys autocross?) I think the premium for one event would be about triple the value of the car
Old 03-21-2024, 03:17 PM
Midwayman
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by rentedmule
Hagerty refused to even consider covering my firebird in any way when I mentioned auto-x, despite them sponsoring some events I run in. I even stated that I didn't expect to be insured while racing and they flat out refused any coverage. I very politely mentioned the hypocrisy and they avoided engaging in a discussion. I even had an existing policy with them for my mustang.

I would be very, very careful about mentioning any sort of racing or modifications with your insurance company.
Odd. I told them I do track days and autox and they had zero issue with giving me a street policy. Its even a question when getting on online quote. FWIW they have a autox specific policy that covers ONLY autox. No street, no hpde.
The following users liked this post:
rentedmule (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 08:48 AM
dale3guy
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Lockton seems to be the best place for autoX insurance. They charge about 1% of the value of the car for one season. Unlimited events. Covers codrivers too. Pretty much a no brainer.
Old 03-26-2024, 02:24 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

If You join the Club that is putting on the event, they might have insurance that will cover your car while you are at their event. Every Club is different. It's worth a call or checking their web site. The only reason they are able to offer this is because it's very rare a car ends up upside down. Expect a large deductible, this is not scratch and dent insurance.

Get notified of new replies

To Auto-X insurance

Quick Reply: Auto-X insurance