Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TDY to GA for 11 months - Corvette Clubs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 10:48 PM
KBoltz
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

Default TDY to GA for 11 months - Corvette Clubs?

I am going on an 11 month TDY to South Georgia, near Jacksonville, FL.

I wanted to know if there are any Corvette Clubs that autocross in that area? I see the Buccaneer Region of the SCCA runs regular events.

Since I will be in the BOQ () without my family for 11 months, I wanted to find some things to do to keep me out of trouble and gainfully amused.

Thanks for any help. I appreciate it.

I found 1st Coast Corvette Association but their website doesn't work anymore, nor is there another listing for them.

Last edited by KBoltz; 05-23-2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:52 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Lucky you.

When I go TDY, it's "to the field".

Where you at, Yakima?
Old 05-24-2015, 12:30 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by KBoltz
Since I will be in the BOQ () without my family for 11 months, I wanted to find some things to do to keep me out of trouble and gainfully amused.
I hear booze works pretty good.

Seriously though, an 11 month TDY? You backfilling someone who's forward deploying? 11 months in the dorms FTW after being accustomed to living in a real house like a real person. They don't have room inspections, do they?
Old 05-24-2015, 01:43 AM
KBoltz
Drifting

I am backfilling as an Instructor - not enough of them and fewer qualified ones.

And no room inspections, thank God. I could stay off base, but that means trying to get a furnished apartment, dealing with utilities and satellite and internet. Screw that.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:33 AM
Xian
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the area. . I'm just south of Jax and have been doing autocrossing/DE's/club racing for the last ~14 years. For Autocross, Bucc Region is probably your best choice unless you're willing to travel to Orlando/Tampa. Dixie region SCCA is relatively close so they're an option also.

North FL Corvette Assoc also runs events at a driver training facility in Saint Aug though they've got a big hole in their schedule over the summer this year.

FWIW, myself and another guy normally do course setup for Bucc Region. We try for a nice blend of elements which normally results in a fun course. 6 runs and back on the road by 2-3pm is the standard day. We also have a night event coming up in a couple months.

Christian
Old 05-24-2015, 12:15 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Look up some of the clubs listed on the Roebling Road Raceway schedule too. Great smooth track near Savannah that is pretty easy on brakes.

http://www.roeblingroad.com/schedule.html
Old 05-24-2015, 09:46 PM
Zoldier
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Han Solo
Look up some of the clubs listed on the Roebling Road Raceway schedule too. Great smooth track near Savannah that is pretty easy on brakes.

http://www.roeblingroad.com/schedule.html
Been trying to make it out to Roebling for some time now. I'm heading out on a TDY also, South America, but hope to get out on the track as soon as I get back.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:12 PM
spro2395
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Xian
Welcome to the area. . I'm just south of Jax and have been doing autocrossing/DE's/club racing for the last ~14 years. For Autocross, Bucc Region is probably your best choice unless you're willing to travel to Orlando/Tampa. Dixie region SCCA is relatively close so they're an option also.

North FL Corvette Assoc also runs events at a driver training facility in Saint Aug though they've got a big hole in their schedule over the summer this year.

FWIW, myself and another guy normally do course setup for Bucc Region. We try for a nice blend of elements which normally results in a fun course. 6 runs and back on the road by 2-3pm is the standard day. We also have a night event coming up in a couple months.

Christian
When and where will the night event be ?
Old 05-25-2015, 08:51 PM
Xian
Racer

Originally Posted by spro2395
When and where will the night event be ?
The night event is August 15th at Amelia Island. I missed the one last year but should be out at this one.

http://www.buccaneerregion.com/soloevents.html
Old 05-26-2015, 07:07 AM
spro2395
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Xian
The night event is August 15th at Amelia Island. I missed the one last year but should be out at this one.

http://www.buccaneerregion.com/soloevents.html
OK Thanks.
I thought it was an NCCC event.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:33 AM
Xian
Racer

Originally Posted by spro2395
OK Thanks.
I thought it was an NCCC event.
Ahhhhh... gotcha. I'm not aware of a night event by NCCC (not that they may not be hosting one; just that I don't know about it). I believe "FAST" in Tampa is doing a night event in early June as well:

http://drivefast.org/

There's also the SCCA Dixie Match Tour coming up in early June as well. I'm registered and will be there with a co-driver... should be a fun event though I can only do Day 1 of the event due to work travel that Sunday.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:59 PM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Just left the Savannah area about a year ago myself. The Buccaneer Region has two auto-x (Solo) venues - the Jacksonville and the Coastal Empire (Savannah). The Coastal Empire typically holds two auto-x events at Roebling Road each year. The May event is over, but the North-South Shootout in October is well worth your time. Coastal Empire uses Hutchinson Island for the bulk their events. (It really the paddock/pit area for the Grand Prize of America track there on the island. Plenty of room for good courses, ~900' x 250', plus you meet drivers from the South Carolina Region as well.)

The local Corvette Club in Savannah, Coastal Corvette Association, is primarily a social group that enjoys cruising, eating, and car shows. Not my cup of tea; however, they're good people if you like cruising and/or talking Corvettes.

I ran primarily SCCA/NCCC competition events with my Vette. Most of the active NCCC clubs in Florida are to the south and west of Jacksonville. Maybe this site will help you find some close to home NCCC events.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-28-2015, 09:44 PM
KBoltz
Drifting

Thanks for all the help from everyone!!

Staying busy will take my mind off from being away from my wife and son.

And the Space Coast Vette club is located where my parents live, so I could visit the folks and visit some Corvette folks as well.

I am a NCM member, I am thinking about a drive up to Bowling Green. It's 9 hours from where I will be.

Last edited by KBoltz; 05-28-2015 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:25 PM
Locke
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's the site for North Florida Corvette Association:
http://www.nfca.net

We are laying off the autocrossing until the September event.
Our big show at the World Golf Village is on the 20th. It's people's choice so not much pressure as a show but alot of Vettes and Vette people to hang out with for the day. You would get to meet the Club (NFCA and Jax Corvette Club both).

NCCC runs a high speed autocross at Roebling over Thanksgiving weekend.

The schedule for the entire NCCC southeast is here:
http://www.ncccsouth.com/html/2010_sch.html

Finding other NCCC Clubs in the southeast can be done here:
http://www.ncccsouth.com

PM me and I'll get you my direct Email. There might be a contact in the NFCA site for me (I haven't really looked!).

Locke McCormick, Governor
North Florida Corvette Association, NCCC
Buccaneer Region, SCCA

Get notified of new replies

To TDY to GA for 11 months - Corvette Clubs?

Quick Reply: TDY to GA for 11 months - Corvette Clubs?