Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5Z06 Brake Proportioning Valve

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 11:21 PM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default C5Z06 Brake Proportioning Valve

I am ditching my ABS. And am setting up a manual brake bias adjuster. From what I understand, I need one with 2 Inlets and 4 Outlets. I've searched this forum to the beginning of time and looked all over the web. I'm at a loss finding one that is appropriate for my application.

Help!

Jeremy Foley
Old 05-24-2015, 04:59 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by ratt_finkel
I am ditching my ABS. And am setting up a manual brake bias adjuster. From what I understand, I need one with 2 Inlets and 4 Outlets. I've searched this forum to the beginning of time and looked all over the web. I'm at a loss finding one that is appropriate for my application.

Help!

Jeremy Foley
Hi Jeremy,
Normally, on a "real race car" a manual brake balance adjustment is accomplished by dual master cylinders with a balance bar between them for front/rear adjustment. Normally you would buy the entire assembley from an aftermarket manufacturer like Tilton or Lakewood.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:37 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

You might call Randy at DRM:

http://dougrippie.com/products/drm-c...ster-cylinder/
Old 05-24-2015, 09:45 PM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Hi Jeremy,
Normally, on a "real race car" a manual brake balance adjustment is accomplished by dual master cylinders with a balance bar between them for front/rear adjustment. Normally you would buy the entire assembley from an aftermarket manufacturer like Tilton or Lakewood.
That just seems like a lot. What does everyone else do? Run the stock proportioning bias? I understand it's somewhat rear biased. Which doesn't bother me. But I am worried about braking in more than just a straight line.

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
I came across this in my searching. Sounds like he doesn't recommend this with stock calipers and even then only for the right set up.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:30 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

All you need is a wildwood rear prop valve for the line going from the master to the rear abs inlet. Works great.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:38 AM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

installing this setup on my car right now. I run stock front calipers in rear and just went to the big AP calipers in front. This master provides more volume for all them extra pistons.. and the proportioning valve just limits pressure to the rear,one inlet from master-one outlet to rear brakes.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:36 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I also looked into this a few years ago. I concluded that a proper 2 M/C setup with pedals was the best solution, but it's a royal PIA to switch over. I don't see why what Redtopz is saying won't work, you just have to adjust the bias under the hood, no big deal. I've got a buddy who runs a Mustang who uses that setup.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:46 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I came across this in my searching. Sounds like he doesn't recommend this with stock calipers and even then only for the right set up.
When referencing upgraded package, it is assumed more/and or bigger pistons requiring more fluid volume to counteract longer brake pedal. Personally, I like for the pedal to remain as high as possible for blip/brake performance. The stock M/C with SL6 calipers still goes a little long for my tastes.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:02 PM
ratt_finkel
Racer

When referencing upgraded package, it is assumed more/and or bigger pistons requiring more fluid volume to counteract longer brake pedal. Personally, I like for the pedal to remain as high as possible for blip/brake performance. The stock M/C with SL6 calipers still goes a little long for my tastes.
Correct.

I don't mind a mushy pedal. What I like are brakes that are easy to modulate, with good feel. Don't really want to leg press every time I step on the brakes either.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:17 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Correct.

I don't mind a mushy pedal. What I like are brakes that are easy to modulate, with good feel. Don't really want to leg press every time I step on the brakes either.
Well, there is that to some degree.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:14 PM
Beatnik
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dual master cylinders are really the only way to get real front-to-rear proportioning. If you want to change the knee point for the rear, that can be done with a "proportioning" valve.

You can kill multiple birds with one stone by doing this. On both boosted cars, and race cars, the vacuum signal is often irregular and interferes with the driver's expectations of the brakes. By removing the booster and going with a pair of non-boosted master cylinders you get your choice of cylinder size (pedal hardness) and proportioning while eliminating the uncertainty of the booster.

We did the pedals and masters on Brianne's car. It was easier than you might think. We plated the firewall where the master cylinders came through and built a bracket to hold the pedals in the stock location using the stock pickup points.

Modified firewall

Bracket for pedals
Old 06-09-2015, 04:47 PM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Thanks Jason. I just don't think we have time for all that right now. We are already way behind.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:51 PM
Beatnik
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Jason. I just don't think we have time for all that right now. We are already way behind.
I think you are nuts for trying to finish this and compete this year. I swore I wouldn't bring another car out there unless it was running and driving in February and we had time to sort it, and then tune it (both chassis and engine) before heading to Colorado.

I'm worried that something will pop up during testing, you'll do a makeshift repair (again) and not finish the event (again).
Old 06-10-2015, 04:35 PM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Originally Posted by Beatnik
I think you are nuts for trying to finish this and compete this year. I swore I wouldn't bring another car out there unless it was running and driving in February and we had time to sort it, and then tune it (both chassis and engine) before heading to Colorado.

I'm worried that something will pop up during testing, you'll do a makeshift repair (again) and not finish the event (again).
Jason, I appreciate your concern. Maybe you want to have this conversation in a more private setting?

Get notified of new replies

To C5Z06 Brake Proportioning Valve

Quick Reply: C5Z06 Brake Proportioning Valve