Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls3 wet sump.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 12:29 PM
Z06VENOM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ls3 wet sump.

Ls3 wet sump update after the 1st race weekend.

For those that don't know... I am running a built LS3 with a LS6 wet sump and a few external oil drain lines, and a heavy duty Moroso oil accumulator with a manual valve on my C5Z time attack car. The motor holds a total of 9liters of oil with this setup...

CSCS Event1. Track: DDT Mopsort.
Best finish: 2nd place Super Street RWD.

The gearing on the vette was all wrong for the track - ran the revlimiter in 3rd roughly 4 times a lap. I tried 4th but waisted too much time fighting the shifter and upsetting the car. So just left it in 3rd for the day.

On the double left hander oil pressure dropped roughly to 45 - 50 psi from 60psi with the oil accumulator open and never dropped below 40psi anywhere on the track.
I'll try and post the incar video of the gauges later.

What can I do to help PCV system? I was thinking of welding in a venturi tube in one (or both) header collectors and hook that up to the valley cover for more vacuum?
Right now I have an Allstar catch can (2port with a filter on top) hooked up to the valve cover vents for fresh air and a LS6 PCV valve from the intake to the valley cover for vacuum... The plan is to add another proper catch can here.

Main concern...
the catch can is filling up with oil after 20 or so laps hot laps from oil pushing back from the valve cover vents? Can I add some kind of one way valve here to keep the oil in during cornering and still breath on the straights?

Last edited by Z06VENOM; 05-25-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:53 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I've been down this same road and I THINK I finally have is solved.

I'm running the following on my LS2 408 stroker . . .

#1 From the valley with a restricted tube (LS2/3 same as LS6 with a PCV valve) to the intake.

#2 A line with a PCV valve in it from the valve covers to a breather catch can.

#3 AND, I bought a billet valve cover cap, drilled and tapped it for an AN-10 fitting and run an AN-10 line to another breather catch can.

I'm picking up about 3 oz. per session among all three catch cans (about an ounce in each can).

I've also drilled the lifter trays.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by Last C5; 05-26-2015 at 01:35 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:27 AM
Z06VENOM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Last C5
I've been down this same road and I THINK I finally have is solved.

I'm running the following on my LS2 408 stroker . . .

#1 From the valley with a restricted tube (LS2/3 same as LS6 with a PCV valve) to the intake.

#2 A line with a PCV valve in it from the valve covers to a breather catch can.

#3 AND, I bought a billet valve cover cap, drilled and tapped it for an AN-10 fitting and run an AN-10 line to another breather catch can.

I'm picking up about 3 oz. per session among all three catch cans (about an ounce in each can).

I've also drilled the lifter trays.

Your mileage may vary.

Thanks for posting the picture. Never thought about tapping into the oil cap... Makes sense, it's nice and high👍
My lifter buckets are drilled and I am running oil restricted pushrods.

Edit: I read up on the design and operation of a typical PCV valve... It's a perfect one way valve! I'll be picking up another catch can and and a couple valves today to copy your setup👍

Last edited by Z06VENOM; 05-26-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:04 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06VENOM
Thanks for posting the picture. Never thought about tapping into the oil cap... Makes sense, it's nice and high👍
My lifter buckets are drilled and I am running oil restricted pushrods.

Edit: I read up on the design and operation of a typical PCV valve... It's a perfect one way valve! I'll be picking up another catch can and and a couple valves today to copy your setup👍
The oil cap I used was one of those $25 billet caps the show and shine people all like. The top of the thing was 1/2" thick billet and perfect for tapping. Good luck, hope it works for you too. I did not use a PCV valve in the oil cap line since it sets so high. I just let it breath.

Get notified of new replies

To Ls3 wet sump.

Quick Reply: Ls3 wet sump.