Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wider Front Wheel/Tire Effects

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 12:17 PM
craig-o
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been running NT-01s on stock C5 base wheels at the track (HPDE) for about 5 years. They provide fantastic grip - when the surface is dry. I have a separate set of wheels that I switch over and drive to the track, so a D.O.T.-legal tire was a necessity for me.

However, I would not recomend them for a street tire unless you only go out in warm, dry conditions. Any water on the road surface, and you're slipping - and I do mean ANY. Also, they are so sticky that they pick up rocks/pebbles on the street; my peppered rocker panels, just from driving to and from the track will attest to that.

I don't know about the C5Z, but the base C5 needs a staggered overall tire diameter (and circumference) to not cause problems with the Active Handling and Traction Controi (fronts shorter than the rears). Using the correct aspect ratio (side-wall height) will allow you to run the same wheel size on all 4 corners and still have the necessary difference in outer diameter.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:54 PM
Xian
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by craig-o
I've been running NT-01s on stock C5 base wheels at the track (HPDE) for about 5 years. They provide fantastic grip - when the surface is dry. I have a separate set of wheels that I switch over and drive to the track, so a D.O.T.-legal tire was a necessity for me.

However, I would not recomend them for a street tire unless you only go out in warm, dry conditions. Any water on the road surface, and you're slipping - and I do mean ANY. Also, they are so sticky that they pick up rocks/pebbles on the street; my peppered rocker panels, just from driving to and from the track will attest to that.
The RE-71R, and Rival-S all sling a ton of pick up back against the car too. The Z2*spec and prior Gen Rival do it too but only when you're coming off course/track.

I don't know about the C5Z, but the base C5 needs a staggered overall tire diameter (and circumference) to not cause problems with the Active Handling and Traction Controi (fronts shorter than the rears). Using the correct aspect ratio (side-wall height) will allow you to run the same wheel size on all 4 corners and still have the necessary difference in outer diameter.
For my C5Z, I'm running slightly larger fronts than rears (0.1" diameter taller) without any AH/TC issues on the street. On course, I turn it off completely though.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:03 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I don't want to dogpile the issue but I went from street driving to hpde to roadracing. I now drive a pickup on the street. Aggressive driving has no place on public roads. I also used to ride motorcyles too fast, now I do that off-road. That being said, nt01s are great. 315 square is a great setup.

Quick Reply: Wider Front Wheel/Tire Effects