Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SVRA Indy, whose going this year?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 09:31 AM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

Default SVRA Indy, whose going this year?

We are just a little over a week from heading out and with the much larger Pro Am field anyone form the forum added to the line up? Anyone new going to the races??

I will be back with my 63 and we are bring a newly resurrected 69 Doug Rippie SB coupe pictured below. Has great history and was rebuilt from just a frame, birdcage and pieces of the rear body work. My good friends car now. Should be fun.

See you at the races!

Steve
Attached Images  

Last edited by C2Racer; 05-27-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:55 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

It`s come a long way since I sold it to Bob Caudle...

Old 05-27-2015, 09:58 AM
C2Racer
Drifting

Yes it has Howard. That's Bob to the right in the picture.

Steve
Old 05-27-2015, 10:12 AM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Great looking car We are entered in the SVRA race at Sonoma this weekend. Hoping our car passes the "Gold Medallion" tech. I have never raced with SVRA before and looking forward to it. I would be fun to tow it across country and make a couple of races at tracks I have only seen on TV next season. Good luck at Indy.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:19 AM
C2Racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by folsomlarry
Great looking car We are entered in the SVRA race at Sonoma this weekend. Hoping our car passes the "Gold Medallion" tech. I have never raced with SVRA before and looking forward to it. I would be fun to tow it across country and make a couple of races at tracks I have only seen on TV next season. Good luck at Indy.
We will be at Coronado also so maybe we can meet up there?

Steve
Old 05-27-2015, 12:46 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Hi Steve. We will be there See you in a couple of weeks.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:10 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,240 Likes on 457 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

I wish I could join you guys. Have fun and be safe.

(click on photo for video)

Last edited by Dr L-88; 05-27-2015 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:35 PM
bjm
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

My Father was at Brainerd racing when Steve Kline went off the end of T1 at about 160mph ending up past the end of the field. Said there wasn't a straight part on the frame. Looks great now.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:26 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Pretty cool. That is one reason the car didn't get painted the wild scheme it had on it that day. It was a brand new paint job and he crashed....bad luck!

Steve
Old 06-02-2015, 09:51 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by C2Racer
We are just a little over a week from heading out and with the much larger Pro Am field anyone form the forum added to the line up? Anyone new going to the races??

I will be back with my 63 and we are bring a newly resurrected 69 Doug Rippie SB coupe pictured below. Has great history and was rebuilt from just a frame, birdcage and pieces of the rear body work. My good friends car now. Should be fun.

See you at the races!

Steve
A friend of ours has a 70 Corvette, that was also raced out of Jay Kline Chevrolet. It's red-white-blue now, but when it was originally raced, it was painted solid dark blue. He's not coming to Indy, and I really don't recall him running the car in over a year. I think job issues have gotten in the way.

See you next week!

Glenn

Old 06-02-2015, 10:04 AM
C2Racer
Drifting

We leave Monday. Last minute details....near the end!

Steve
Attached Images   
Old 06-07-2015, 01:48 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Car looks great Larry. You have taken it to a new level
of preparation. How did you do last weekend? I missed the SONOMA event this year.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:32 AM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jimgessner
Car looks great Larry. You have taken it to a new level
of preparation. How did you do last weekend? I missed the SONOMA event this year.
Enjoyed the weekend, SVRA did a great job. I don't think I have ever gone through registration so quickly. First session was okay, as we were trying some new shocks, and the second session we put on some new tires and went through the scrub in process. On Saturday the had a qualifying race and I had a great battle with a couple of XKE's. Only problem was someone blew their engine on the last lap of the race before us and the track was very slick. Sunday was terrible as we had electrical problems and the car just did not run right. A couple of people pointed out how quite our car is. The original owners put in spiral baffles in the side pipes. Very heavy and apparently you loose horsepower. Called Stahl last week and I am ordering new side pipes for the Monterey Historics. The Gold Medallion tech crew was overwhelmed by cars. From what I say it looked like the 3 C2 Corvettes they weighed were all under the listed racing weight. They are supposed to contact us in a couple of months and tell us what we need to get the Gold Medallion status.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:15 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Enjoyed the weekend, SVRA did a great job. I don't think I have ever gone through registration so quickly. First session was okay, as we were trying some new shocks, and the second session we put on some new tires and went through the scrub in process. On Saturday the had a qualifying race and I had a great battle with a couple of XKE's. Only problem was someone blew their engine on the last lap of the race before us and the track was very slick. Sunday was terrible as we had electrical problems and the car just did not run right. A couple of people pointed out how quite our car is. The original owners put in spiral baffles in the side pipes. Very heavy and apparently you loose horsepower. Called Stahl last week and I am ordering new side pipes for the Monterey Historics. The Gold Medallion tech crew was overwhelmed by cars. From what I say it looked like the 3 C2 Corvettes they weighed were all under the listed racing weight. They are supposed to contact us in a couple of months and tell us what we need to get the Gold Medallion status.
Sounds like growing pains. SVRA is working hard to please ''everyone'', and that is most difficult especially with certifying a GOLD MEDALLION status when the cars are 50 years old. I raced from 1989-94 under Steve Earle with my 64 B/P Fuel injection convertible, and we had problems even back then.

I always looked at the events as a privilege that I was included to race. I would find my mid pack position and had ''FUN'' as you did with the XKE's.

The Shelby Mustangs, Tigers, and Porsche were always hard, but fun competition. One year, I was surrounded by two Ferrari's. That was in my first year at Monterey. I asked later why was I grid between these two great classics, and I was told they were grid that way to ''protect you''....I love a sense of humor.

I plan to be at CORONADO.in September. Hope to see you there.

Last edited by jimgessner; 06-09-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:42 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I'm looking forward to going to the SVRA event at Watkins Glen in July. I went about 15 years ago with my father. Looking back it had to be about the coolest car show there is and fun racing to watch at the same time. Can't wait to go back this year.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:53 AM
jstewart10
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

some press for a forum member: racer.com link

jason
Old 06-14-2015, 02:17 AM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by C2Racer
We leave Monday. Last minute details....near the end!

Steve

Not adding much here but dayum....that 44 makes me need a kleenex and a smoke....

Get notified of new replies

To SVRA Indy, whose going this year?

Quick Reply: SVRA Indy, whose going this year?