Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll Bar Install help - 2012 Grand Sport Vert

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 11:35 AM
Blizzerk
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Roll Bar Install help - 2012 Grand Sport Vert

Like to get help or advice on adding 4 point roll bar to 2012 GS Vert for HPDE purposes

Since GS have the wider seats at the top, curious if anyone has done this and could provide a picture of their install? The clearances are very tight on the side and in front of the bulkhead.

The attached image is from the RPM Rollbar site and installed on the narrow seats. I've called them and they say their could be some rub or damage of the seat. Curious if any GS vert owners have already done it.

Here's picture of the NON GS seat.

Here's my seat.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:51 PM
Ludedude
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plain and simple, do not install a roll or harness bar and harnesses without a proper racing seat. If the car in that first pic were to have an impact, the harnesses would come right off the driver/passenger and that's the end of that.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:39 PM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

I installed a BPP (Breathless Performance Products) bolt-in rollbar in my C6 Convertible.

Here's a link to the thread.... https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nvertible.html
Old 05-29-2015, 02:22 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Ludedude
Plain and simple, do not install a roll or harness bar and harnesses without a proper racing seat. If the car in that first pic were to have an impact, the harnesses would come right off the driver/passenger and that's the end of that.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:29 PM
Blizzerk
Advanced

Originally Posted by NTMD8R
I installed a BPP (Breathless Performance Products) bolt-in rollbar in my C6 Convertible.

Here's a link to the thread.... https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nvertible.html

Bad news for me but very good point. I appreciate the input!

I'm not looking forward to the look the wifey will have, Oh and BTW need seats too.

Anyone have seat recommendations for average size person? Must be comfortable for long trips to track.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:31 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I have been down this path and it is extremely difficult to find a compromise that works. The commercially available roll bars for convertibles are not effective and in some cased down right dangerous. The one you have picture is absolutely useless in a roll over unless you are less than about 5' tall. The roll bar needs to be tall enough so a broom stick (or similar) placed between the roll bar and the windshield will clear your helmet. Also, the Roll bar needs to be far enough away from your head so that in a traffic accident (when you don't have your helmet on) your head cant come in contact with the roll bar....and these seats move a lot in an accident. If you search some of my old posts you car see my build. It wasn't a perfect answer, but it was best solution I could find.

Good luck.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:44 PM
Blizzerk
Advanced

I love verts but this stinks. I may go back to plan b and start my c4 track build instead.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:53 PM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

Here is a link to the thread which shows Charley's rollbar....
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...compliant.html
Old 05-29-2015, 04:14 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Blizzerk
I love verts but this stinks. I may go back to plan b and start my c4 track build instead.
I agree, I love convertibles, but there just isn't a good way to put a roll bar in that is safe and allows the top to work. The Roll bar I had built meet my minimum requirements of "being as safe as a stock hard top"... but, there just isn't a really safe solution. I turned my car back to a full street car and bought a dedicated race car. You can find some amazing deals on nice race cars which will likely be faster and cheaper than building your C4.

This is what I got.... And I love it. And it's a LOT faster than my Corvette.

Charley

Old 05-30-2015, 02:42 PM
Ludedude
Racer

^ The bowl at Chuckwalla?

And nice Radical
Old 05-30-2015, 07:32 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Ludedude
^ The bowl at Chuckwalla?

And nice Radical
Yes, this was in the bowl at Chuckwalla.... Doing 1.9G's
Old 05-31-2015, 03:37 AM
jd86L98
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by NTMD8R
Here is a link to the thread which shows Charley's rollbar....
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...compliant.html

I know the person who purchased Charley's rollbar, it's an excellent option. I would argue much better than the others out there. My friend has not installed it and I believe he would be interested in selling it. If you are interested PM me.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:39 PM
Ludedude
Racer

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
Yes, this was in the bowl at Chuckwalla.... Doing 1.9G's
Love those. I flogged one around SMMR for a day and it was a rush.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
I have been down this path and it is extremely difficult to find a compromise that works. The commercially available roll bars for convertibles are not effective and in some cased down right dangerous. The one you have picture is absolutely useless in a roll over unless you are less than about 5' tall. The roll bar needs to be tall enough so a broom stick (or similar) placed between the roll bar and the windshield will clear your helmet. Also, the Roll bar needs to be far enough away from your head so that in a traffic accident (when you don't have your helmet on) your head cant come in contact with the roll bar....and these seats move a lot in an accident. If you search some of my old posts you car see my build. It wasn't a perfect answer, but it was best solution I could find.

Good luck.
Even passing the broomstick test may not be enough. Even a fixed roof car like the Z06 the A pillar can collapse allowing the forward part of the roof to penetrate the cockpit and take away needed headroom. In a Vert there is even less support for the A pillar and it is more likely to collapse further into the cockpit.

The interior metal frame under the roof panel provided some support to the top of the A pillar and probably kept it from dropping much further. Not sure what would have happened if the car had been a Vert with a rollbar.

The car shown dropped on its roof after riding up on a tire wall. It dropped from about 4 ft. It is obvious the B Pillar roof halo does an excellent job and sort of makes a rollbar in a coupe superfluous. A roll cage is the only way to protect yourself in this kind of a rollover.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 06-01-2015 at 02:28 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Roll Bar Install help - 2012 Grand Sport Vert

Quick Reply: Roll Bar Install help - 2012 Grand Sport Vert