Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CarboTech XP8 pad squeal

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 10:19 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Default CarboTech XP8 pad squeal

Anyone know if the XP8's squeal as much as the XP10's when cold while driving on the street? The 10's sound like a train coming into a station, at least I know they are working! I have 10's on the front and 8's in the rears but thinking of picking up a set of 8's for the front for track season if they don't squeal as much. The ceramic Bobcats work great for the rest of the year.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:34 AM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
Anyone know if the XP8's squeal as much as the XP10's when cold while driving on the street? The 10's sound like a train coming into a station, at least I know they are working! I have 10's on the front and 8's in the rears but thinking of picking up a set of 8's for the front for track season if they don't squeal as much. The ceramic Bobcats work great for the rest of the year.
Ran them on the street. Would squeal sometimes, not all the time.
Didn't think it was that bad.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:21 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by db2xpert
Ran them on the street. Would squeal sometimes, not all the time.
Didn't think it was that bad.
This is my experience with the 10's. I put them in before an event, using them to drive to my inspection and to the track. I'd say the dust is the bigger problem.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:24 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Take the leading edges of the pads and grind a small bevel on the edge. Takes a few seconds per pad.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:37 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Thanks for the input guys!

mike
Old 06-14-2015, 10:14 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

My tried xp8's going from the xp10 and they squeeled a lot less. I noticed that the way these pads are bedded affects their noise level. I still don't bed them properly.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:20 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
They will make noise but not like the 10 I suggest getting them pre bed.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 06-15-2015, 11:11 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I would not run XP8's in the front for a track day. I would run 10's minimum, possibly 12's.

I tried using 8's as solely a street pad and I couldn't take it. They made too much noise. I ended up putting on the 1521's for the street.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:47 AM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the same experience as everyone else, I run a 10/8 setup on track and have run it on the street and run just the rear 8's after swapping the front for 1521. Outside of the bias being odd for a bit after swaping just the fronts its pretty bareable.

The 8's imo make more of a standard brake squeel on and off, but fairly often once you get through the track day transfer layer. The 10's make the dump/garbage truck squeel thats crazy loud and fairly annoying.

So the 8's are more liveable, but they aren't really dd street pads. still pretty messy and don't make the light brown dust that the 1521 does.Wheels get black pretty fast, I jsut don't clean them anymore!

What pads you run on track is 75% a function of how hard you plan to push. 25% a function of what tires you are running. If you are on street tires 8's will work, if you are slow 8's will be more then enough. If you push the car to within 3-5% of its capable lap times, then yeah 10's or 12's for street tires in the front at least. More pad if you have more tire. There are people in these forums getting away with terrible pads that would kill me or add 10 seconds to my lap times. I know this cause i ran stock c5z pads once just to test what I have read on here, and they are SLOW. But people will say they work, and they do, if you don't mind running slow.

Last edited by Socko; 06-15-2015 at 11:53 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To CarboTech XP8 pad squeal

Quick Reply: CarboTech XP8 pad squeal