Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOT Tunnel

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 02:51 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Default HOT Tunnel

In our race cars for lightness and fire 90% of us have taken out the cockpit tunnel insulation. Also, for ballast many have used thicker steel tunnel plates. My tunnel is so hot I can't touch the metal by my shifter. So where is the tunnel heat coming from? Is it the exhaust pipes radiating heat to the thicker steel tunnel plate radiating heat to the cockpit? Is it the torque tube getting hot and radiating heat to the cockpit?

What solutions if any are racers using or are we all just suffering in our 250*F ovens?
Old 06-14-2015, 08:56 PM
heavyzee
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

most guys have ceramic coated plates that are insulated

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/1...h-thermal-abs/
Old 06-14-2015, 10:10 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
In our race cars for lightness and fire 90% of us have taken out the cockpit tunnel insulation. Also, for ballast many have used thicker steel tunnel plates. My tunnel is so hot I can't touch the metal by my shifter. So where is the tunnel heat coming from? Is it the exhaust pipes radiating heat to the thicker steel tunnel plate radiating heat to the cockpit? Is it the torque tube getting hot and radiating heat to the cockpit?

What solutions if any are racers using or are we all just suffering in our 250*F ovens?
I ceramic coated my X pipe and it certainly has helped and you can certainly use some header wrap to reduce the temps further. Also, you can us some heat insulation which will help too.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:36 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I put gold foil insulation inside the bottom of the tunnel to help keep exhaust heat out. Additionally, I lined the interior side of the tunnel with a thick insulated pad to isolate heat from the driver.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:44 AM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LateBreak
I put gold foil insulation inside the bottom of the tunnel to help keep exhaust heat out. Additionally, I lined the interior side of the tunnel with a thick insulated pad to isolate heat from the driver.
do u have any pics of the gold taped tunnel?

also, can the oem c6 z06 headers (cat section) could be header wrapped while still in car or do they have to be removed?
Old 06-16-2015, 09:00 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Originally Posted by MUKAK
do u have any pics of the gold taped tunnel?

also, can the oem c6 z06 headers (cat section) could be header wrapped while still in car or do they have to be removed?
I don't have any pictures of that at the moment, but the car is on the hoist at home so I'll try to take some tonight.

You can probably do the mid-pipe with it on the car, but for as easy as it is to do, I'd pop it off in order to do a cleaner job.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:52 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I put Frost King insulation on my tunnel and then laid the carpet back down on it. It should work fine for your bare tunnel as well. It helped a ton blocking heat from the exhaust and it doesn't weight much at all. You can buy it at Home Depot/Lowes.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-king-mod.html
Old 06-17-2015, 09:39 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Originally Posted by Scooter70
I put Frost King insulation on my tunnel and then laid the carpet back down on it. It should work fine for your bare tunnel as well. It helped a ton blocking heat from the exhaust and it doesn't weight much at all. You can buy it at Home Depot/Lowes.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-king-mod.html
Did the Frost King cut down on interior noise at all? I've been thinking about lining the trunk area of my car with it, the road noise used to not bother me, but switching back and forth from BMW's it's much more noticeable now
Old 06-17-2015, 12:40 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by LateBreak
Did the Frost King cut down on interior noise at all?
No. It's a foil backed heat insulator. If you want to insulate for noise you'll need to use a different product like Dynamat.

Get notified of new replies

To HOT Tunnel

Quick Reply: HOT Tunnel