Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for new Street & Track Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 01:59 AM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Default Time for new Street & Track Tires?

Thanks in advance for reading the below!

Q:
What should I replace my stock-sized C5 coupe tires with (summer or A/S) and should I pull the DOT-Rs from my C5Z06 rims and replace them with non DOT-Rs?

NOTES:
1) I currently only do one or two HPDEs a year for various reasons.
2) I have a tire trailer so I can drive to the track on streets and have fun with the DOT-Rs (if not raining).

There are lots of options for me on how to proceed.

1) Some have said that since I have a Honda for work and winter, I should put some really good summers (Michelin SS) on my stock coupe rims (currently shod with 8 y.o Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS tires) and leave my DOT-Rs (4 y.o Nitto 555RIIs) alone. (The Nittos have only two HPDE weekends on them...long story on why...not going to bore you with it.) This is what I've done in the past, but with some so-called second tier brand summer tires (i.e., not Michelin, but Falken, General, etc.)

2) Variation on the first one, but with something like Falkens, Coopers, BFGs, etc.

3) I could also put new A/S tires on the coupe rims as I have now (but a different brand, probably Continental) and leave my DOT-Rs alone.

4) Or, I could put some new A/S tires on the coupe rims, remove the DOT-Rs (selling them) from the C5Z06 rims, and put some really good summer street tread back on the Zs.

I know there are a lot of factors that can govern tire choice. But given the above, what would you forum members recommend? Tire brand/model recommendations are also welcome.

Again, thanks for reading the above! Safe driving!

Last edited by kedvesh; 06-15-2015 at 03:37 PM. Reason: added note
Old 06-15-2015, 09:09 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Michelin Pilot SS best all round street & track tire right now
Old 06-15-2015, 08:38 PM
Douglfr
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that Bridgestone RE71 R are the competitive Tire choice in AutoX This year. I have 255/40/17 front and 275/35/18 rear. I have around 20 runs on them now and just won BS and set FTD at my local AutoX.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:55 AM
Brandonkirk1994
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have four Hoosier a6 scrubs 50 bucks a piece. Fronts are 275/rear 315

Get notified of new replies

To Time for new Street & Track Tires?

Quick Reply: Time for new Street & Track Tires?