Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Insurance with HPDE Coverage

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 10:03 PM
boony1968
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

My car was covered by Alfa for a HPDE at Barber about two years ago. My agent verified coverage before the event. No timing was the key to coverage and he said it fell under their driver improvement / education rules. I don't know if anything has changed with them since.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:10 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronc7
USAA excludes anything involved in a "Driving contest or challenge":

A competition against other people, vehicles, or time, or an activity that challenges the speed or handling characteristics of a vehicle, or improves or demonstrates driving skills, provided the activity occurs on a track or course that is closed from nonparticipants.
USAA is my carrier. I have contacted twice specifically about HPDE events. I had to describe the activity to the representative and they then checked with their supervisor and the underwriter. I have been informed that Driver Education at a track is covered as long as their is no timing, no competition (winner/loser) AND I'm with an instructor. I guess I'll check with them again...??
Old 06-30-2015, 07:14 PM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts
Default No easy answer

You can positively forget about homeowners insurance, it specifically excludes automobile exposures. The old fashioned verbiage excluding a "race or speed" contest, or a "timed" event are probably on the hook, as State Farm used to be. But, they are all changing verbiage to exclude these events, like the newer exclusion for events on a racetrack--if you miss reading the new verbiage, hard luck. I did get a call from Katz & Co, who himself is a semi-pro racer, and there is currently nothing available. Race teams can buy a policy, but it's 6-8k roughly per year. He did have a couple of intelligent suggestions--first the hold harmless should protect all participants (read it), and check with the organization, because members may well be covered under their policy. Some organizations we pay an annual membership, but others we don't so may not be members....hmmm
Old 06-30-2015, 09:51 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

would running/tracking your own time count or does "timed" mean attempting to have a faster time then another participant?

Quick Reply: Auto Insurance with HPDE Coverage