Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 12:45 PM
flash911
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default What would you do?

So the short backstory is I have a C5Z, suspension refresh including new 18" front wheels. Going to a 200tw first before I progress to gummies and also have a fairly new set of rear Falken 615ks in 315 size. With ridiculous (lack of) tire availability, I bought new 275 fronts since the car has nice balance now.

Pretty much national back order, I finally found a pair online. When I received them, the date code is '5111' which equals end of 2011, 3.5 years old. Of course, seller says they're within manufacturer spec. To be fair, they'll take 'em back if I pay shipping.

My question is: Run 'em, or return 'em?

Thanks in advance,

Ron
Old 06-19-2015, 01:29 PM
lefrog
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you plan to go through them quickly this summer, return them.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:59 PM
flash911
Racer

Originally Posted by lefrog
Unless you plan to go through them quickly this summer, return them.
I'd like to think I'll kill 'em quick but you never know. I'm inclined to return them.

Spoke to Falken, they started by saying it's not uncommon for end customers to receive two year old stock to which I reminded them these are 3.5 years old and I intend to run in a series you guys sponsor on a Corvette, and of course they then towed the US DOT company line of five year expiration date.

Nuttin's easy.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:33 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Selling 3.5 year old tires as "new" is deceptive unless the seller clearly stated the born dates. Would I use em? Sure with a nice discount....otherwise back they go.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:28 PM
flash911
Racer

Originally Posted by ZedO6
Selling 3.5 year old tires as "new" is deceptive unless the seller clearly stated the born dates. Would I use em? Sure with a nice discount....otherwise back they go.
I agree, but no discount was offered after almost two hours on the phone, multiple 'customer service managers' and on-hold time . Their argument is I didn't tell the rep I was using them for competition so I need to pay return shipping and restocking. Totals about 10% of the cost. Looks like I'm gonna eat it and chalk it up to a relatively cheap lesson.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:53 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

What a bunch of BS. Using them for competition has nothing to do with it. Call your credit card company and see what they say about a charge back. Most of the time they are very helpful.

Who was the supplier, so we know never to use them!

Originally Posted by flash911
Their argument is I didn't tell the rep I was using them for competition so I need to pay return shipping and restocking. Totals about 10% of the cost. Looks like I'm gonna eat it and chalk it up to a relatively cheap lesson.

Get notified of new replies

To What would you do?

Quick Reply: What would you do?