Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EZ Up shelters? Which ones last?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 12:28 AM
Horseshow Manager
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default EZ Up shelters? Which ones last?

Hello All,
Have been on here for several years and mostly just commented on things. Just finished a weekend at NCM with Chin and our 1 QuickShade 10X10 pop up broke it legs in what I found out is a common event in Bowling Green, the afternoon gust front that swings thru at about 40 to 60 MPH!!
We haul on an open trailer and will need to get a couple of more so there is room for the car and us. What do people on here use, not use or would NEVER use again?
Thanks in advance for the information,
Old 06-22-2015, 08:28 AM
Feffman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I purchased a 12X12 Quick Shade pop up shelter from Wal Mart several years ago and couldn't be happier. It was 1/2 the price of an EZ Up and you can order replacement parts on line on the Quick Shade web site.

Feff
Old 06-22-2015, 09:53 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

EZ-Up, QuikShade and Z-Shade are all about the same although EZ-Up has "commercial grade" units. They are more expensive but the framework appears to be much sturdier.

Were you using any sort of anchors or tie downs? I made some tube anchors using 3" PVC conduit. They are 30" long with caps cemented on at at both ends and filled with sand. Put an eye-bolt through one cap and use the Harbor Freight small ratchet straps to hang them from the framework. Bungee cords can work too.

Given that potential for the wind speed you mentioned, use one weight at each corner of the shelters but remember the weight of all the tubes will add up on the trailer.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:30 AM
tmtraylor
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I was there too and that same gust killed the Wal-Mart brand I had just purchased. The guys next to me had an EZ Up (he said he got it at KMart years ago) and it didn't budge. Their tents had a cross bracing at the midpoint of each span tied back to the center of the tent and mine did not.

You had the other silver C5, yes? Loved seeing the flames out the back down at the hairpin turn!
Old 06-22-2015, 10:55 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

"EZ Up shelters? Which ones last?"

None of them in the wind.
I've seen hundreds of them mangled over the years, even ones that were tied down securely.
I've had to rescue other drivers awnings at night while camping in th race trailer.
I had a 10 x 20 pole awning lift my 4 foot nitrogen tank 5 feet in the air (luckily it didn't land on the valve).

The best - we had a 10 x 20 EZ Up at the race shop, it was very heavy duty...............it was also $1,500.

All the store bought ones are cheap, thin metal legs that will bend easily. No one will tell you the specs on the metal gauge of the legs (even EZ Up). As always, the more you spend, the better quality.

But, none will survive those wind gusts. When the wind picks up, take em down.

EZ Up does make steel framed ones, at least they can be welded.

The $99 ones are throwaway after the wind takes them, just part of a race budget.

You can get a pole awning that uses electrical conduit - ugly but very repairable (just buy a new piece of conduit). I have a 10 x 20 and am thinking about using it again after loosing a $99 one. A bit longer to set up but not bad.

To save towing weight, I use the 5 gal. buckets from HomeD, fill them with water at the track, use them on one side and hook the other side to the bottom of the trailer.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:09 AM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill32
"EZ Up shelters? Which ones last?"
To save towing weight, I use the 5 gal. buckets from HomeD, fill them with water at the track, use them on one side and hook the other side to the bottom of the trailer.
Same here.

My EZ Up brand 10x10 has done well, but I haven't really used it much yet. I just try to take the cover down at night to prevent the wind from getting it while I'm not there.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:35 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ltborg
Same here.

My EZ Up brand 10x10 has done well, but I haven't really used it much yet. I just try to take the cover down at night to prevent the wind from getting it while I'm not there.
We usually put a car cover on (open wheel) and lower the awning the whole way down over the car with tie downs attached to the wheels.

But taking the cover off is good "peace of mind".
Old 06-22-2015, 12:26 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill32
We usually put a car cover on (open wheel) and lower the awning the whole way down over the car with tie downs attached to the wheels.

But taking the cover off is good "peace of mind".
taking the cover off is the only thing that works
Though I usually tie mine down with brake rotors and the trailer
Old 06-22-2015, 12:30 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Be careful with tying those things down to small heavy objects. Strong wind can still pick them up sometimes and you end up with those heavy objects flying through the air. A 5 gallon fuel jug to the head will really ruin your day. Tie down to a trailer, tow vehicle, or some permanent structure if possible.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:46 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

I have been using a 10x10 Commercial Grade EZ Up since 1999. I got it at Sam's Club for $199 back then. It came with 3 removable side curtains that let you have just one side open. A lot of people who sell stuff at flea markets have them. It is a minimum 2 person job to put it up. Much easier if you have 3. It is a slug to lift and as I get older I like it less and less. The storage cover is 8.5 in x 8.5 in x 65 in and has wheels on one end to make it easier to move around. I haul it in my 03 Tahoe by putting the right side seat down since the unit is too long to fit in the short trunk area. If I had a Burb I could keep the 2nd row seats up.

An acquaintance had one just like it with 4 sides and he would set it up at the Glen in cold windy weather and tie it down with huge stakes pounded in the dirt. They put a carpet on the grass under it and then chairs, a portable heater and a camping cook stove in it. It would stay in place with some pretty heavy winds blowing against it. The sides kept the air from getting under the top so it didn't lift like it would have without sides.

Bill
Old 06-22-2015, 02:04 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Picked one up at Costco that has been good so far, good construction and came with side curtains.

I'd suggest staying away from the Harbor Freight one, $50 on sale is nice; but it lasted me one day with less than the 40-60 mph winds you had.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:41 PM
Horseshow Manager
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Guilty as charged😊

Originally Posted by tmtraylor
I was there too and that same gust killed the Wal-Mart brand I had just purchased. The guys next to me had an EZ Up (he said he got it at KMart years ago) and it didn't budge. Their tents had a cross bracing at the midpoint of each span tied back to the center of the tent and mine did not.

You had the other silver C5, yes? Loved seeing the flames out the back down at the hairpin turn!
Yes that was the first outing for the freshly rebuilt engine by XP Racing in OKC. Did a great job on it.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:09 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Don't remember which brand it is but the ones with the double vents on top do take a lot more wind than the standard ones.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:26 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one of the "better" ones from wallmart and have had it for over 5 years .... One thing I do 100% of the time is fully secure it the legs are anchored down as well as the 4 corners being attached to non moving items. The ones I have seen damaged are from not being properly secured ... so my suggestion is by one that appears to be "stronger" or the better model and just secure it every outing ...

Get notified of new replies

To EZ Up shelters? Which ones last?

Quick Reply: EZ Up shelters? Which ones last?