Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Action Packed Race Video from Sonoma

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 01:45 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Action Packed Race Video from Sonoma

Just finished installing a new LS2 engine built by Synergy Motorsports in Livermore CA. My prior LS6 failed due to a dry sump pulley/belt issue and resulting low oil pressure. The new engine ran great (running with a 60 mm restrictor at 390 whp). I didn't have much time to get my car dialed in for racing as we just finished the engine install/tune last week. I struggled with grip all weekend and a slight push in the tight corners, but overall the car performed very well. Here is Sunday's race with around 70 cars on track. Traffic management was key. Thanks to TC Design Motorsports, Synergy Motorsports, Abel Chevrolet, Hoosier Tires, Essex Brakes!

Old 06-22-2015, 02:06 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

I didn't watch the whole thing but nice use of traffic to get around the BMW. They sure do put you guys out on track with some slower classes. Closing speed is what I envision its like at LeMans with the LMP vs GT classes.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:23 PM
bluemagoo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the ride. Fun and exciting!
Old 06-22-2015, 10:26 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

I think that red, white, and blue Firebird came from here. That race reminds me of when they put the Camaros and Mustangs in with the Miatas and 944s.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:54 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you catch air at 11:55?

Bill, fantastic driving, It is hard to tell if you put a wheel wrong anywhere! You did a great job of driving through and anticipating traffic; it was a great demonstration of amateur rules traffic management and passing. I think in the pros you are allowed a couple more bumps to urge them out of your way lol! I caught myself yelling at one Legends car to give a little more room on the inside to anticipate you coming through.. great stuff!! Congrats on the win!

JK
Old 06-23-2015, 12:09 AM
JRL
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Great job Bill! Looks different going through T1 with that Nascar wall there for next week
Old 06-23-2015, 01:13 AM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha passing 3 cars at 11 is amazing. Very cool seeing how early you get on the gas coming out of 8A.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:37 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Congrats Bill.

Running those 25 Hour races gives you plenty of "traffic management" experience.

Car sounds great.

We're loading up today for this weekend, 2 mile at T-Hill.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:47 PM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

Nice Bill! Saw this yesterday.

What do you think changed in the car that created the push? You only changed out the motor right?
Old 06-23-2015, 05:26 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryTX
Did you catch air at 11:55?

Bill, fantastic driving, It is hard to tell if you put a wheel wrong anywhere! You did a great job of driving through and anticipating traffic; it was a great demonstration of amateur rules traffic management and passing. I think in the pros you are allowed a couple more bumps to urge them out of your way lol! I caught myself yelling at one Legends car to give a little more room on the inside to anticipate you coming through.. great stuff!! Congrats on the win!

JK
Thanks Jerry. No air, but yes the tires get light in some places. I did a 180 spin on Saturday, first time in several years. I got a little too aggressive on the throttle in the first lap at the top of a crest and couldn't recover from the resulting tank slapper. The traffic was not the norm for our ST2 racing, but worked in my favor this race. I probably didn't have anything for that bmw if we had wide open track. That car is hooked up and I was a couple seconds off my pace.

Originally Posted by JRL
Great job Bill! Looks different going through T1 with that Nascar wall there for next week
Yes that was kind of shocking coming around T1 at 120+ mph in the bumps and seeing that wall right along the edge of the track. Took me a while to ignore it. Sorry you weren't there, I talked to Kevin looking for you. Hope to see you at Laguna.

Originally Posted by DarkMastyr
haha passing 3 cars at 11 is amazing. Very cool seeing how early you get on the gas coming out of 8A.
Thanks

Originally Posted by Bill32
Congrats Bill.

Running those 25 Hour races gives you plenty of "traffic management" experience.

Car sounds great.

We're loading up today for this weekend, 2 mile at T-Hill.
Awesome have fun out there Bill!

Originally Posted by Robert R1
Nice Bill! Saw this yesterday.

What do you think changed in the car that created the push? You only changed out the motor right?
Yes only the motor, but I made a bunch of changes about 2 months ago. And I didn't have time to corner balance or do a thorough alignment. The push was better on Sunday after I made some adjustments. I think the main problem was my tire strategy last weekend which resulted in low grip levels.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:47 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

A great racing video Bill.

My rebuilt LS3 is going into my car as I type.

Oli

Get notified of new replies

To Action Packed Race Video from Sonoma

Quick Reply: Action Packed Race Video from Sonoma